For many parents, there is a concern that their children are receiving adequate nutrients and vitamins. It can be a challenge to get children to eat all the foods which would naturally supply vitamins and many parents are concerned that their child is not receiving the correct amount of vitamins to ensure that they maintain healthy growth and development.
Therefore, a great many parents turn to vitamin supplements. Specially designed supplements for children would appear to be a healthy choice and the best way to ensure your child’s development. However, a recent report has highlighted the startling chemicals contained in the top pharma brand of children’s vitamins.
Global corporation Bayer are one of the leading pharmaceutical companies in the world and produce the “Flintstones” children’s vitamins, which are advertised as the number one choice for pediatricians. However, an analysis of the product page, highlights the use of aspartame, sorbitol, GMOs and a number of other hazardous chemicals.
Sorbitol is a synthetic sugar substitute which is classified as a sugar alcohol. The ingestion of higher amounts have been linked to gastrointestinal disturbances from abdominal pain to more serious conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome. You can view some studies related to Sorbitol below:
- Sorbitol intolerance in adults
- Sorbitol intolerance: an unappreciated cause of functional gastrointestinal complaints
- Sorbitol used as an osmotic cathartic has caused severe hypernatremia (elevation of sodium in the blood) in children
Aspartame has been controversial for a number of years and it has been linked with over forty different adverse effects on health. The FDA has estimated that “700,000 recognized aspartame toxicity reactions” have occurred in the United States since 1982.
With acute symptoms varying from eye problems, headaches and dizziness through to depression, palpitations and severe joint pain, it is highly questionable why aspartame would be used in a children’s product when there are a number of non synthetic and non toxic sweeteners widely available.
- Consumption of artificial sweetener and risk of lymphoma and leukaemia
- Effect of chronic exposure to aspartame
- Long-term consumption of aspartame and brain antioxidant defense status
- Aspartame-induces impairment of spatial cognition and insulin sensitivity
- Synergistic interactions between food additives in a developmental neurotoxicity test
- Multipotential carcinogenic effects of aspartame
This is technically a mineral but cupric acid has been classified as “dangerous” and “harmful” for both human consumption and the environment by the European Union chemical safety laws.
It is used as a pigment in ceramics and as a chemical in the production of rayon fabric and dry cell batteries. It is indeed a mineral, but should this really be a nutrient in a children’s vitamin?
Many parents are also concerned about GMOs. Genetically modified ingredients have also seen a great deal of publicity and controversy in the last few years.
The Bayer product contains GMO corn starch and it is potentially the source for the vitamin C ascorbic acid. Many consumers are actively trying to eliminate GMOs from their diet and there was great support for California’s proposition 37. However, the vitamin supplement fails to provide adequate identification of the GMO ingredients for their consumers.
Although it is a concern for parents to ensure that their children receive adequate vitamins and minerals, this report highlights that it would be a mistake to assume that all vitamin supplements are healthy.
Here are some alternative vitamin choices for people looking for it. These have been suggested by readers. Please research them as we have not yet.
What other alternatives do you use? Let us know in the comment section!
- How To Completely Eliminate Sugar From Your Life In 2 Months
Ever wondered why you couldn’t lose weight, or couldn’t seem to stick to a diet? It’s likely that you were …
- Two Natural Aphrodisiacs To Spice Up Your Love Life
Oysters, chocolate, honey, and even garlic all have one thing in common – they’ve been touted time and again as …
- An Idiot’s Guide To Post Workout Recovery Drinks
(originally written by Andrew Read) Ever since man stopped struggling to survive and got to the point where there was enough …
- You’ve Probably Never Used 2 Plates To Do THIS…No More Gooey Mess!
Cutting cherry tomatoes can be a messy task with squirting juice and goo getting everywhere — but it doesn’t have …
- A Natural Herb To Curb Sugar Cravings (+ 8 Other Tips For Quitting Sugar!)
There’s no denying it: desserts are pleasurable to eat. They taste good on the tongue and start a chemical reaction in …
- Raw Milk: To Drink or Not To Drink
It’s a dichotomy. Picture a pastoral farm, dairy cows grazing peacefully on organic pasture. When the cows are milked, the …
- Top 8 Nutrients for Healthy Skin
Our skin is our largest organ and is not only what other people see but also protects us from external contaminants that …
- 5 Antioxidant-Rich Recipes Featuring Red Grapes
Red grapes are one of the best sources of the antioxidant resveratrol, thought to be one of the main reasons …
- Breast Cancer Survivor Says Raw Food Diet Helped Her Heal
Janette Murray-Wakelin is a breast cancer survivor who credits a raw food diet, meditation, physical activity, and following her intuition …
- 8 Drinks That Make Dieting Easier
Having trouble sticking to your diet? Consider accompanying your meals with these drinks to keep you on track. 1. Ginger …
- Dark Circles Under Your Eyes? Here are 6 Foods You Can Use To Get Rid of Them Naturally
Preorbital dark circles are dark blemishes under and around the eyes – many people get them, but what causes them …
- 5 Everyday Foods That Can Help Prevent Kidney Stones
The pain from having a kidney stone can be excruciating. This is why it is vital you ensure you are …
- Top 22 Science-Based Health Benefits Of Butyrate And Its Derivatives
You may have never heard of butyrate but it’s actually an important nutrient that’s working for your body, whether or …
- Sour Deception: Citric Acid Comes From GMO Black Mold, Not Fruit
If you’re a label reader, you may notice that“citric acid” is an ingredient in many packaged foods. As its name …
- See What Happens When You Eat Garlic And Honey On an Empty Stomach For 7 Days
Garlic is present in almost every kind of cuisine on earth. Not only is it flavorful, it’s also incredibly powerful …