For many parents, there is a concern that their children are receiving adequate nutrients and vitamins. It can be a challenge to get children to eat all the foods which would naturally supply vitamins and many parents are concerned that their child is not receiving the correct amount of vitamins to ensure that they maintain healthy growth and development.
Therefore, a great many parents turn to vitamin supplements. Specially designed supplements for children would appear to be a healthy choice and the best way to ensure your child’s development. However, a recent report has highlighted the startling chemicals contained in the top pharma brand of children’s vitamins.
Global corporation Bayer are one of the leading pharmaceutical companies in the world and produce the “Flintstones” children’s vitamins, which are advertised as the number one choice for pediatricians. However, an analysis of the product page, highlights the use of aspartame, sorbitol, GMOs and a number of other hazardous chemicals.
Sorbitol is a synthetic sugar substitute which is classified as a sugar alcohol. The ingestion of higher amounts have been linked to gastrointestinal disturbances from abdominal pain to more serious conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome. You can view some studies related to Sorbitol below:
- Sorbitol intolerance in adults
- Sorbitol intolerance: an unappreciated cause of functional gastrointestinal complaints
- Sorbitol used as an osmotic cathartic has caused severe hypernatremia (elevation of sodium in the blood) in children
Aspartame has been controversial for a number of years and it has been linked with over forty different adverse effects on health. The FDA has estimated that “700,000 recognized aspartame toxicity reactions” have occurred in the United States since 1982.
With acute symptoms varying from eye problems, headaches and dizziness through to depression, palpitations and severe joint pain, it is highly questionable why aspartame would be used in a children’s product when there are a number of non synthetic and non toxic sweeteners widely available.
- Consumption of artificial sweetener and risk of lymphoma and leukaemia
- Effect of chronic exposure to aspartame
- Long-term consumption of aspartame and brain antioxidant defense status
- Aspartame-induces impairment of spatial cognition and insulin sensitivity
- Synergistic interactions between food additives in a developmental neurotoxicity test
- Multipotential carcinogenic effects of aspartame
This is technically a mineral but cupric acid has been classified as “dangerous” and “harmful” for both human consumption and the environment by the European Union chemical safety laws.
It is used as a pigment in ceramics and as a chemical in the production of rayon fabric and dry cell batteries. It is indeed a mineral, but should this really be a nutrient in a children’s vitamin?
Many parents are also concerned about GMOs. Genetically modified ingredients have also seen a great deal of publicity and controversy in the last few years.
The Bayer product contains GMO corn starch and it is potentially the source for the vitamin C ascorbic acid. Many consumers are actively trying to eliminate GMOs from their diet and there was great support for California’s proposition 37. However, the vitamin supplement fails to provide adequate identification of the GMO ingredients for their consumers.
Although it is a concern for parents to ensure that their children receive adequate vitamins and minerals, this report highlights that it would be a mistake to assume that all vitamin supplements are healthy.
Here are some alternative vitamin choices for people looking for it. These have been suggested by readers. Please research them as we have not yet.
What other alternatives do you use? Let us know in the comment section!
- 7 Ingredients That Are Depleting Your Body of Important Nutrients
Unless you’re living on a farm in the middle of nowhere, chances are you consume at least some packaged foods. …
- The Raw Food Diet ‘FullyRaw’ Meal Plan
Do you want to succeed at a raw food diet?! Kristina Carrillo-Bucaram will show you how. Here is a fun …
- The 10 Most Cancer Causing Foods
Over the past few decades many common food items have been linked to increased cancer risk. Here are the 10 …
- 7 “Good” Foods You Can Overdose On. Unexpected Bizarre to Deadly Side Effects.
Even with healthy food, there can be too much of a good thing. Watch your intake of these healthy foods …
- 10 Reasons To Drink More Apple Cider Vinegar
You may not think of apple cider vinegar as something that is a boon to your overall health, but it …
- Top 10 Homemade Seasoning Blends to Supercharge Your Health
Are you still buying all of your seasoning mixes at the store? It is so simple and cost effective to make …
- Unhealthy Gut Bacteria Makes It Harder For You To Lose Weight But These 18 Foods Can Fix This!
You might not think much about it but your microbiome actually plays a role in your ability to lose weight and …
- Food is Fuel But It’s Also Information For The Body
How many times have you heard someone say “food is fuel”, whether it’s your personal trainer, your doctor, or your …
- 9 Unhealthy Foods You Think are Healthy
Although you might be putting a ton of effort into eating healthy, some of those so-called “health foods” may not …
- 5 Vitamin C Packed Lemon Recipes
Lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that can protect you from free radical proliferation and …
- Non GMO Food Companies With Printable List Of Brands
(originally written by Caryn Talty) Need a list of non GMO companies? We’ve put together one and include tips on where …
- Are Bananas As Bad For You As Cookies?
Have you ever noticed how some foods seem to fill you up for hours and others leave you feeling even …
- Former Pro-GMO Scientist Speaks Out On The Real Dangers of Genetically Engineered Food
(originally written by Thierry Vrain) I retired 10 years ago after a long career as a research scientist for Agriculture …
- You’ve Heard of Individual People Suing McDonald’s Before. Now, a Whole Country is Doing It.
McDonald’s has been the defendant in its share of lawsuits, the most infamous of all brought by a woman who …
- Start Your Anti-Inflammatory Diet Today With These 5 Foods
Inflammation is a natural part of how the body handles disease and injury – it can facilitate healing, and help …