No one would deny that eating fruits and vegetables is good for you.
They contain nutrients that are necessary to our health and vital functions.
They not only stave off disease and infection but can cure ills we already have. Most people in North America don’t get enough in their normal diets; nutritionists and medical practitioners are always telling us to eat more.
But what if there’s poison on the foods that are supposed to be best for us?
The Environmental Working Group (EWG), a non-profit advocacy group, recently released the results of its yearly study of the top most pesticide-laden produce, Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce. Its data are derived from U.S. Department of Agriculture’s samples of 48 fruits and vegetables—an astounding 65% of the items sampled returned evidence of pesticide contamination.
The effects of pesticide are dire, not only for insects and slugs, but for humans who eat the affected foods. There is evidence of a connection with developmental problems in children, cancer, and functions of the endocrine system. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency maintains a list of registered pesticides along with their fact sheets for public consumption on its website. EWG’s senior analyst and author of its Shopper’s Guide, Sonya Lunder reminds us:
“For decades, various toxic pesticides were claimed to be ‘safe’—until they weren’t, and either banned or phased out because they posed risks to people. While regulators and scientists debate these and other controversies about pesticide safety, EWG will continue drawing attention to the fruits and vegetables with the highest pesticide loads.”
Shopper’s Guide doesn’t cover just the dirty, it offers a list of “clean” produce as well, known as the Clean 15. These are fruits and vegetables least likely to retain pesticide when brought to market; avocados topped this list with only 1% of the sample containing any pesticide—another reason to love this superfood. Also included in the report are vegetables that didn’t make the list but should cause concern due to traces of hazardous pesticides.
The most common North American fruit made the top of this Dirty Dozen:
- Apples – 99% of all apples tested showed residual pesticide
- Strawberries – just one of these cute little fruits contained 13 different pesticides
- Grapes – treated with 15 pesticides
- Celery – while rich in fiber, the sample was covered with 13 pesticides
- Peaches – fuzzy is fine but not the poisonous kind
- Spinach – what would Popeye do?
- Bell peppers – ding-dong don’t
- Nectarines (imported) – 100% of all imported fruits in this sample showed at least one pesticide
- Cucumber – not cool
- Cherry tomatoes – 13 pesticides were found on a single tomato
- Potatoes – this vegetable receives the dubious distinction of containing more residual pesticides by weight than any other produce in the study
- Snap peas – one pod tested positive for 13 pesticides
So how do we get what’s good for us so that it’s really good for us? Grow your own when you can, buy local, and buy organic. As with any food, know the source and wash all produce thoroughly before eating.
- 7 Food Combinations That Work Better Together Than Apart
Some food combinations just seem to go great together naturally – like orange juice and oatmeal with fruit in the …
- Top 10 Worst Fake Foods You Should Stop Eating
Begin Slideshow The best of the worst—sounds like an oxymoron. Some of the foods sold in North America aren’t really food. They …
- Alkalizing Aloe Vera Pineapple Juice To Purify Your Blood And Detox Your Kidneys
The aloe vera plant is a miraculous healing superfood. It’s considered to be one of the oldest healing remedies and natural antibiotics in …
- How Eating Broccoli 3X a Week Fights Liver Disease And Cancer (Here’s The BEST Way To Eat It!)
Cancer and liver disease incidence has tripled since 1980; with rates from 2003 to 2012 increasing 2.7% per year. Cancer …
- Low-Carb Vs. Low-Fat: Which Wins in the Diet Wars?
We hear about new diets all the time and each sort of sounds good at the beginning but after a …
- A Natural Herb To Curb Sugar Cravings (+ 8 Other Tips For Quitting Sugar!)
There’s no denying it: desserts are pleasurable to eat. They taste good on the tongue and start a chemical reaction in …
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Big Brand Mayo And How To Make Your Own Healthy Version!
Mayonnaise can be found in almost every kitchen across the country. It can be used in sandwiches to guacamole to chocolate cake! Some women …
- Watch This Video & You’ll Never Eat McDonald’s French Fries Again
There has been a lot of discussion about the negative impact fast food has on our weight, and now there’s …
- These 2 Foods are Loaded With Powerful Immune-Enhancing Nutrients
Plants have had to evolve through various environmental stressors and have developed very sophisticated systems to protect them from predators …
- What These Researchers Found About Soft Drinks Will Blow Your Mind.
Soda is quite possibly the most vilified food/beverage on the market, and for good reason. The beverage offers zero nutritional …
- Boost Immunity With These Coconut Oil Recipes!
The health benefits of coconut oil are getting a lot of press these days in the natural health community. Coconut …
- This Woman Just Proved That You Can Do Almost Anything With Olive Oil. (It’s Not Just for Cooking!)
It has been called “Food of the Gods” and “Liquid Gold” for good reasons. Watch this surprising video and learn …
- This Fructose Liquid Is Actually Good For You
What kinds of things do you think about when trying to decide whether a food is healthy or not? Do …
- Eating Grapefruit Can Help Treat Diabetes And Keep Cholesterol in Check (Do NOT Eat It With Meds!)
Eating more grapefruit might be the best natural way to keep your kidneys healthy and free of dangerous cysts. Additionally, …
- 6-Ingredient, 6-Minute Ice Cream Recipe With Avocado, Coconut Milk And NO Dairy
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! Store-bought ice cream is considered a junk food because of …