Most people don’t get enough sleep, which can lead to countless health issues ranging from difficulty concentrating and headaches to workplace accidents and even to long-term diseases like cancer and heart disease.
Let’s take a look at a few things you can do to improve the quality and duration of your sleep.
1. Have a Regular Sleep Schedule
Sleeping in on weekends can feel good at the time, but it can actually throw off your sleep patterns and disrupt your slumber during the week. Try to keep to the same schedule of sleeping and waking every day.
2. Exercise Every Day
Even a light jog or some yoga for five or ten minutes during the day can help your body become tired in time for you to go to bed. Just make sure not to exercise too late, as the increase in heart rate and metabolism can actually keep you up longer.
3. Skip the Midnight Snack
When you eat, your metabolism increases and heart rate speeds up as you digest your food. Try to avoid eating in the hour or two before bed to ensure that your body is in a total resting state once you lie down.
4. Don’t Drink Alcohol Before Bed
The myth of the nightcap helping you drift off is a pervasive one. While alcohol might make you feel tired, drinking interferes with the deeper levels of sleep. This means that when you wake up, you won’t feel nearly as rested as if you’d skipped that glass of wine.
5. Avoid Stimulants
Caffeine and nicotine can both make you jittery, so definitely avoid stimulants such as these before you hit the hay. Watch out for unsuspected stimulants, too, like those in cold and allergy medications.
Looking for more tips on getting a good night’s sleep? Check out this infographic.
- Spray This Simple Mixture and You Will Never See Weeds in Your Garden Again!
Killing weeds is as easy as picking up a bottle of Monsanto’s Roundup at your local store—any store; it’s the …
- 7 Easy Ways To Quickly Unclog Your Lymph Nodes To Reduce Swelling And Flush Out Toxins
You are probably familiar with the term “lymph glands (nodes).” There are hundreds (600-700) of lymph nodes scattered throughout your body. …
- How to Train Your Brain To Prevent Memory Loss And Alzheimer’s Disease
Still think you can’t teach an old dog new tricks ? Turns out your brain is much more adaptable than …
- This Is What Your Farts Reveal About Your Health
Being gassy is never fun, especially when you’re surrounded by other people. Most people think that they fart more than …
- 1 Remedy to Naturally Get Rid of Snoring and Sleep Apnea Fast
Snoring can be quite comical, but it can also making sleeping more difficult. Some people snore so loud they wake …
- It Just Keeps on Getting Weirder. Coke Is Going To Try And Sell You Premium Milk.
Soda sales are falling, so Coca-Cola is getting ready to sell us a new drink. You may have heard of …
- Fake Cancer Charities Busted For Defrauding $187 Million In Donations From Americans
Most people who give to charities never question the true impact of their good deed. After all, charities are in …
- The Hidden RADIOACTIVE Element In Cigarettes The Tobacco Industry DOESN’T Want You To Know
Everyone’s heard about the dangers of smoking, but very few people understand the mechanisms that make it so dangerous. Sure, …
- Make One Of These 4 Drinks Before Bed To Fall Asleep, Stay Asleep And Burn Fat While Doing It
There’s no arguing that obesity has reached epidemic proportions in the US. A simple walk down any American street reveals …
- You’ll Never Go to Bed Without Putting Lemon Peel on Your Heel Again After Reading This!
One of the many joys of summer is wearing sandals and feeling the warm sun on your toes…especially if you …
- Chamomile Essential Oil Shown to Kill up to 93 Percent of Breast Cancer Cells, Study Finds
They’ve gained considerable notoriety in recent years for their myriad uses in both aromatherapy and integrative medicine. But did you …
- Less Than 1 Tsp of Ginger and Cinnamon Daily Can Help Relieve Muscle Soreness In Athletes
Muscle soreness and fatigue are two major deterrents for people who exercise at a high intensity. Many well-intentioned workout resolutions …
- 4 Natural Ways To Get Rid of That Awful Shoe Smell!
Some shoes trap odour more than others, retaining sweat in which bacteria grows and produces that distinctive unpleasant “old shoe” …
- The UN Treaty to Ban Mercury: For Big Business or Consumer Safety?
Mercury, also known as thimerisol, has long been known as a dangerous toxin. It has been shown to cause changes …
- The Biggest Loser TV Show Destroys Participants’ Metabolisms
The most important weight loss tip? Don’t try what you see on television. There is a big problem with the …