Most people don’t get enough sleep, which can lead to countless health issues ranging from difficulty concentrating and headaches to workplace accidents and even to long-term diseases like cancer and heart disease.
Let’s take a look at a few things you can do to improve the quality and duration of your sleep.
1. Have a Regular Sleep Schedule
Sleeping in on weekends can feel good at the time, but it can actually throw off your sleep patterns and disrupt your slumber during the week. Try to keep to the same schedule of sleeping and waking every day.
2. Exercise Every Day
Even a light jog or some yoga for five or ten minutes during the day can help your body become tired in time for you to go to bed. Just make sure not to exercise too late, as the increase in heart rate and metabolism can actually keep you up longer.
3. Skip the Midnight Snack
When you eat, your metabolism increases and heart rate speeds up as you digest your food. Try to avoid eating in the hour or two before bed to ensure that your body is in a total resting state once you lie down.
4. Don’t Drink Alcohol Before Bed
The myth of the nightcap helping you drift off is a pervasive one. While alcohol might make you feel tired, drinking interferes with the deeper levels of sleep. This means that when you wake up, you won’t feel nearly as rested as if you’d skipped that glass of wine.
5. Avoid Stimulants
Caffeine and nicotine can both make you jittery, so definitely avoid stimulants such as these before you hit the hay. Watch out for unsuspected stimulants, too, like those in cold and allergy medications.
Looking for more tips on getting a good night’s sleep? Check out this infographic.
- The Toxic Food Additive In Bread You Didn’t Know You Were Eating…And How To Avoid It
The use of Potassium Bromate in the bread making process is wide spread within the United States; however, it has …
- 37 Million Bees Found Dead After GMO Fields Were Planted Nearby
There are close to 20,000 different species of bees in the world. You are probably familiar with bumble bees and, …
- 10-Year-Old Girl Loses Most of Her Hair After Using THIS “Natural” Beauty Product!
Brand-name designer, celebrity-endorsed personal care products are no better, no safer than any other. Touting natural ingredients and free of …
- Medicinal Plant Has Over 60,000 Industrial Uses And Can Fight Cancer And Other Deadly Diseases
Despite what we’ve been taught, cannabis isn’t just a popular recreational drug. The cannabis plant actually has over 60 thousand …
- They Never Get Sick, Don’t Know About Cancer and Live up to 100 years, This is Their Secret!
The Hunza Valley is a pristine mountainous region in northernmost Pakistan. It is rumored to have been the inspiration for …
- High-Tech “Granny Pods” Could Be The Solution To Expensive Nursing Homes. This Is Genius!
In American society, family members tend to grow apart as they age. When they can no longer live a fully …
- How To Unclog And Detox Your Stressed-Out Liver In Just 72 Hours
It’s easy to get tempted by junk food. However, these cravings won’t leave you, or your body, satisfied. Every time …
- 64 Warning Signs You’ve Just Eaten MSG Filled Food (Reach For Ginger IMMEDIATELY)
Have you ever noticed that some foods can leave you feeling ill and foggy-headed after your meal? This phenomena has …
- Nestle Plans To Hijack Michigan’s Water And Doesn’t Give A Damn About Flint Crisis
There are essentially two things we absolutely need to survive in the very short term. One is obviously air, the second …
- Cut Your Watermelon THIS Way And Never Have Juice Dripping Down Your Chin Again!
Watermelon isn’t just a healthy snack: it’s a summer staple. Perhaps one of the most popular ways to eat it …
- When The Body Seeks Help: 10 Important Signals That You Can’t Ignore
The ultimate goal of the human body is to survive and thrive. So when something isn’t quite in sync, your …
- This Guy Was Born With Just One Arm… Watch Him Annihilate All Your Gym-Skpping Excuses
Excuses are the only things preventing most people from getting into shape. That’s why Luke Ericson’s strategy for dealing with this is simple: …
- 13 Ways To Use Honey in Home Remedies
The number of uses for honey is amazing. From wound salve and cough syrup to dandruff cure, honey can solve a wide …
- This Famous Actor Tried to Teach The Cookie Monster How To ‘Resist.’ Hilarity Ensues.
Let’s face it: we’ve all got a Cookie Monster living inside of us. Whatever our vice, it’s hard to say …
- These Folks Converted Their Swimming Pool Into a Self-Sufficient Farm and It’s Awesome
Drought, climate conditions, and pollution are major factors concerning agriculturists. Drought can be overcome with drought-resistant plants, climate-controlled environments can …