Having dry lips is one of the most annoying things that seems to happen all the time. The more your lick your lips, the more they seem to crack and burn.
For many men and women alike, lip balm is just as essential to carry around as their wallet and phone.
The trouble is, most commercially available lip balms are mainly made with toxic chemicals. As you lick our lips, drink and eat, you’re slowly ingesting these harmful compounds.
What Makes Lip Balm Toxic?
Have you ever taken the time to read the ingredients in your lip balm? If not here’s what you missed:
Active ingredient of Chapstick “Original” flavor (1): White Petrolatum 45%.
Inactive ingredients: arachidyl propionate, camphor, carnauba wax, cetyl alcohol, fragrance, isopropyl lanolate, isopropyl myristate, lanolin, light mineral oil, methylparaben, octyldodecanol, oleyl alcohol, paraffin, phenyl trimethicone, propylparaben, red 6 lake, titanium dioxide, white wax, yellow 5 lake
Here’s a breakdown of what these ingredients mean:
Petroleum is refined to produce gasoline, diesel oil, kerosene and petroleum jelly. It’s known to negatively affect the liver, urinary tract, kidneys and immune system. It can also impair the development of blood cells and specialized cells in your organs (2).
Carnauba wax applied topically (onto the skin) can cause dry skin, acne, rash, contact dermatitis, allergic reaction, skin irritation, and inflammation of the hair follicle (3).
Isopropyl myristate is the ester of isopropanol and myristic acid. One of the uses of Isopropyl myristate is for the treatment of head lice, which are killed by dehydration (4). It’s a known skin irritant that can cause rashes ans lesions (5). This product actully dries out you skin and makes you want to apply more lipbalm.
Mineral oil is derived from petroleum through distillation. The oil, may be contaminated with PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons ), which can cause cancer when frequently applied to the skin (6).
Paraffin is derived from crude petroleum. Although the ingredient makes your skin feel softened and relieved from minor aches, it doesn’t actually properly hydrate and repair your skin (7). In fact, paraffin is known to clog pores and can easily be replaced in natural products by bee’s wax.
Propylparaben are the most widely used preservative in cosmetics. It’s present in an estimated 75 to 90 per cent of cosmetics. Parabens are dangerous because they can mimic estrogen, the primary female sex hormone. They’ve even been detected in cancerous breast tissue (8).
Red 6 lake is the 4th petroleum based ingredient in Chapstick. It’s currently on the FDA’s list of color additives that are no longer authorized or have been restricted because of health concerns (9).
Yellow #6 is often used to give color to processed foods and has been known to cause adrenal tumors in animals as well as hyperactivity and hypersensitivity in children (10).
If your lip balm had to say: “Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away,” you really shouldn’t use it in the first place.
How To Make All-Natural Lip Balm
This easy recipe will actually nourish and repair your skin.
- ¼ cup coconut oil or sweet almond oil
- ¼ cup mango butter or cocoa butter
- ¾ cup beeswax
- 2 drops essential oil, (peppermint, lavender, vanilla and cinnamon work well!)
- Melt the oil and butter using a double-boiler over low heat. .
- Add the beeswax to the mixture and let it melt, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- As it starts to thicken, add essential oil and stir.
- Immediately pour into glass or stainless steel travel-sized tins.
- Let it solidify completely and store in a cool, dark place.
- Children Under The Age of 12 Should Avoid Handheld Devices…Here’s What They Do To Their Brains!
Technology is so ever present in our everyday lives that it’s beginning to make its way into the lives of …
- Seafood Farmed in Asia is FULL of Pig Feces and Antibiotics, Here’s How to Tell If Yours is Safe
With the rising safety concerns of the use of antibiotics in meat and poultry farming, many people have moved towards …
- 10 Nutrients To Prevent Liver Damage Caused By Over-The-Counter Drugs
The liver is a very important organ. One of its main tasks is to filter or break down anything you …
- 10 Surprising Reasons Why You Should Stop Throwing Away Your Banana Peels!
Banana peel aren’t exactly what you want hanging around your home too long, but they actually have multiple practical uses. …
- 8 Easy Tips To Help You Stop Snoring Naturally
Snoring can be a major problem when it comes to sleeping, both for the snorer and their spouse. How do …
- Dryer Sheets Cause Hormone Imbalance, Neurotoxicity, Respiratory Problems, and Even Cancer
You use them weekly to get your clothes soft and smelling fresh, but did you know that the dryer sheets …
- How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar To Treat Eczema (It’s Unbelievably Effective!)
Apple cider vinegar is truly a natural beauty powerhouse. Whether it’s used to treat acne, tone skin or condition your hair, …
- 10 Hidden Culprits That Are Responsible For Weakening Your Immune System
From our environment, to our food, medicine and lifestyle, we are surrounded by things that depress our immune system. Knowing …
- How Dr. Oz Stays Healthy
Everyone’s favorite celebrity physician, Dr. Mehmet Oz, shares the following seven tips for health and wellness, based on his own …
- 5 Treatments for Diabetic Pain You Might Not Know About
Diabetic neuropathies—the problems caused by the damage diabetes does to nerves—eventually cause pain in 60 to 70% of people with …
- How Toxic Is Your Neighborhood’s Air? This Map Knows for Sure.
Technology and humans have a two-way action/reaction relationship. Sometimes technological capacity influences our lives and sometimes we endeavor to devise means …
- Want to Live Longer? Learn How Sleep Can Keep You Going
A quarter of adults in the United States don’t get enough sleep on a regular basis. If you’re one of …
- One Herbal Shampoo That Will Give You Thick And Shiny Fast-Growing Hair
Women often abuse their hair during the everyday styling process. Heat from straighteners and curling irons as well as harsh …
- Mainstream Media Finally Admits U.S. Honey Is Contaminated With Glyphosate Weed Killer
When we think of honey, we think of a basic, sweet, nutritious superfood that is delicious, versatile, and a completely …
- 5 Surprising Reasons Why Having a Cat is Good For Your Health
Who doesn’t love having a pet in their lives? Whether it’s a dog or a cat, having someone around to …