While numerous studies have been done on the subject of pesticides in food and their impact they can have on your overall health, there’s nothing quite like watching the impact that switching to organic foods can have on a real family.
That’s the idea behind a recent two-week experiment conducted by Coop, a Swedish supermarket chain that has pledged to support organic farming, and the Swedish Environmental Research Institute IVL.
Coop approached a large family, used to buying only conventional, non-organic foods in order to save money, and convinced them to switch to organic foods for two weeks.
In Their Own Words
The Palmberg family was chosen as a family that many could identify with – with three kids, they were used to eating non-organic food.
“(Organic food) costs more than conventional food, and we’re a big family,” said Anette Palmberg.
Before the study began, researchers took urine samples from each family member and had them analyzed. They found high levels of pesticides, fungicides and plant growth regulators.
Then the family’s kitchen was cleared out – all non-organic food thrown away and replaced with organic alternatives. After just two weeks, another round of urine samples revealed that almost all the pesticides had left the family’s systems.
“When you hear this, you think about your children,” said Anette.
“There were a number of chemicals removed from my kids bodies, and I don’t want them back.”
Inspiring The Masses
“We wanted to know more about what happens in the body when switching from conventional to organic food,” writes Coop in their report. “… We want to inspire more people to eat organic – we think it’s good for both people and the environment.”(3)
On their website, Coop answers a few key questions about the study and their role in promoting organic food.
The grocery store chain has a number of initiatives in place to promote the consumption of organic foods over non-organic ones, including regular deals on organic produce in various categories.
They’re not the first or only grocery store to offer organic alternatives to conventional food, although it is true that due to production costs, organic food – even store-brand organic food like Coop’s – tends to be more expensive than non-organic.
But the initiatives of this store and others are showing that the desire for more accessible organic alternatives is out there.
- This Boy Started Getting Unusual Sores After Playing In One of Those ‘Bounce Houses’
Bounce houses, like games, are fun and children love them! They’re often found at carnivals but parents can also rent …
- Natural Compound Found in Green Tea Helps Kill Oral Cancer Cells Without Harming Healthy Cells
According to the American Oral Cancer Foundation, nearly 50,000 Americans will be diagnosed with some form of oral cancer this …
- Active Nutrient In Turmeric Shows “Very Promising” Cancer-Fighting Properties, Study Finds
Turmeric is a bright orange spice commonly used in Indian cooking. Over the past few years, it has gained notoriety as …
- Doctors Are Using Megadoses of Vitamin D to Shorten Hospital Stay And It’s Working!
Vitamin D is commonly thought to help boost the immune system(1), but due to lack of exercise and limited sun …
- This Novel Microfluidic Device Helps Identify Cancer Cells That Can Spread Throughout The Body
What makes some cancer cells break away from tumors and spread to other parts of the body? Cancer becomes increasingly …
- 4 Easy Mouth Exercises That Can Help You Stop Snoring And Improve Sleep
Snoring may seem pretty harmless, but it can be a symptom of larger problems – most notably sleep apnea(1) – …
- Nestle Plans To Hijack Michigan’s Water And Doesn’t Give A Damn About Flint Crisis
There are essentially two things we absolutely need to survive in the very short term. One is obviously air, the second …
- With Less Than a Year Left of Water Supply, California Wants To Turn Sea Water Into Drinking Water
According to experts like Jay Famiglietti, a senior water scientist at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California is currently experiencing …
- Medical Marijuana Is Legalized Across The Entire Continent Of Australia!
History was made this month for the people Down Under. The Australian parliament passed a bill to amend the current …
- Video Game Developers Made This Virtual Forest For Both Alzheimer’s Patients and Their Caretakers
Many caretakers and family members of people living with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia can struggle to understand …
- Studies Show That Exercising Is The Best Way To Go About Removing Toxins From The Lymphatic System
There are two major circulatory systems in our bodies: the blood vascular system and the lymphatic system. While the blood …
- This Type of Bacteria Produces Toxins That Make You More Prone To Insulin Resistance, Study Finds
Over 350 million people are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes every year, with an estimated 9.3% of the population of …
- Having Trouble Sleeping? It’s Not Your Fault! Scientists Find “Wide Awake” Gene That Sabotages Sleep
Are you struggling to have a good night’s sleep? Are you the kind of person that spends their nights lying …
- Add Extra Virgin Olive Oil To Your Meals To Help Lower Blood Sugar And Bad Cholesterol
Now, an Italian study published in the journal Nutrition and Diabetes has shown that extra virgin olive oil itself may have …
- Scientists Discover a Simple Way To Make Chocolate More Nutritious (And It Tastes Better Too!)
Chocolate is one of those foods you just can’t help but love! – 7.2 million tons of chocolate are eaten every …