Everyone knows what it’s like to lose a little hair.
In fact, we lose 50-100 strands per day on average (1).
However, when you begin to experience bald spots and thinning hair, it may be a sign of higher-than-average hair loss.
What Causes Hair Loss?
Hair loss can affect just your scalp or your entire body. It can be the result of heredity, hormonal changes, medical conditions or medications. Anyone — men, women and children — can experience hair loss. (source)
1. Skin Conditions
A number of skin conditions can affect your scalp and contribute to hair loss. Common conditions include seborrheic dermatitis, eczema of the scalp, infection by a fungus called Malassezia furfur that causes dandruff, or psoriasis of the scalp, an autoimmune condition (2). These typically cause dry, flaky skin and itchiness.
2. Hormonal Imbalance
Hormonal imbalance is one of the leading causes of hair loss. Having low iron levels or a malfunctioning thyroid can lead to your hormones getting out of balance.
The same can said about naturally high testosterone levels, which can cause hair loss in both men and women, especially in the case of women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (3).
3. Prescription Medication
Prescription medication such as oral contraceptives, blood pressure medications, antidepressants, antibiotics, acne medications, chemotherapeutics agents, immunosuppressants and pain medications can all cause premature hair loss (4).
4. Nutritional Deficiency
Nutritional deficiency caused by prescription medication or digestive conditions such as Crohn’s disease and IBS, among others, can cause hair loss.
Deficiency in B-complex vitamins, zinc, vitamin D and protein are particularly harmful to scalp health (5).
Stress makes your body go into “fight or flight” mode, making it prioritize body functions linked to survival.
Blood flow to the scalp is decreased and hair growth is put to a standstill.
Stress can also trigger Trichotillomania, a mental health condition in which the individual plucks out hair as a self-soothing mechanism (6).
6. Autoimmune Conditions
Autoimmune conditions such as Telogen effluvium, a condition in which the body pushes the hair follicles into a “resting phase” so that they no longer grow and produce hair (7).
Alopecia areata an another autoimmune condition in which the immune system of the body attacks the hair’s follicles, causing large patches of hair to fall out (8).
7. Hair Products
Certain hair products can affect individuals with sensitive skin, especially if they contain sulphates and/or other chemical additives.
That’s why it’s best to use natural products that nourish the scalp and hair follicles instead of irritating them.
How To Treat Hair Loss
Hair loss can be treated quite effectively once you’ve uncovered its underlying cause. To help promote hair & scalp health during this process, try this nourishing hair mask!
Castor Oil Hair Mask
Castor oil is an anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory oil which is great to keep your scalp happy and under control.
- Castor oil
- Clean hands
- Shower cap
- An old t-shirt
- Essential oil (optional)
- Wearing an old t-shirt, apply a coin-sized amount of castor oil to your palms.
- Rub your hands together to warm the oil.
- Starting at the scalp, work oil into the hair follicles.
- Massage for 5-10 minutes.
- Start combing the oil through your hair using your fingers, add more oil if needed.
- Place your hair in a shower cap and leave for an hour or overnight. Use an old pillowcase or towel for the latter, as the oil may stain your sheets.
- Wash out with shampoo and conditioner and style as usual.
- Repeat once a week.
- 7 Easy Ways To Quickly Unclog Your Lymph Nodes To Reduce Swelling And Flush Out Toxins
You are probably familiar with the term “lymph glands (nodes).” There are hundreds (600-700) of lymph nodes scattered throughout your body. …
- 5 Perfectly Good Reasons Why Your Digestive System Isn’t Working Properly (No. 4 Is a No-Brainer!)
It seems nearly everyone has digestive issues these days. Crohn’s, IBS, colitis, celiac, and dozens of other digestive disorders have …
- Best Supplements for Omega-3s in Your Diet
Your doctor may have already told you that incorporating omega-3 fatty acids into your diet is important. Those miraculous omega-3s …
- What Nobody Ever Told You About Diffusing Essential Oils
Looking for a holistic and effective way to elevate your mood, purify the air you breathe and improve brain function? Then you need to start …
- Use This Inexpensive DIY Hack To Keep Your Feet Warm Throughout The Winter
The cold always finds a way to your feet. Colds, cystitis, kidney problems are just few of the many problems you may face …
- This Is What Happens To Your Body When You Hang Eucalyptus In Your Shower
Showers are one of those rare moments in the day where you can really spoil yourself. Whether you take it …
- Add 1 Tbsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar To Your Next Bath To Quickly Detox Your Body
Everyone enjoys a good bath after a long day’s work. It’s relaxing and helps relieve tension throughout the whole body. Taking …
- Here’s 9 Essential Antioxidants To Help Protect Your Body From Free Radicals
We’ve all heard about antioxidants and how great they are for our health. But what exactly are antioxidants and how do …
- Molecular Biologist Explains How THC Kills Cancer Completely
From Compultense University in Madrid, Spain, Dr. Christina Sanchez has been studying the anti-tumor effects of THC, the main psychoactive …
- The Toxic Food Additive In Bread You Didn’t Know You Were Eating…And How To Avoid It
The use of Potassium Bromate in the bread making process is wide spread within the United States; however, it has …
- Put THIS Mixture Under Your Tongue Before Bed And NEVER Wake Up Tired Again!
Sleep may be an everyday activity, but very few people give it much thought. Even those who suffer from sleep loss …
- Laughter Shown to Work Better Than Pharmaceuticals And Affects The Body Like Exercise
We are rife with involuntary reactions. We know why we sneeze. We know why we cough. We know why we …
- Your Depression Is NOT Caused By Chemical Imbalance. And Yes, There’s Way a To FIGHT It!
1 in 10 Americans currently takes antidepressants. In middle-aged women, this number goes up to 1 in 4 (1). These …
- K-Cups Might Damage Your Metabolism, Reproductive Health, And Cause Cancer
You may have heard about how Keurig has come under scrutiny for the k-cup it produces. These seemingly harmless little …
- 6 Little-Known Facts About Acid Reflux Doctors Don’t Always Tell You
Everyone’s heard of heartburn, a classic symptom of acid reflux. Acid reflux happens when the ring of muscle known as …