Hand sanitizer is the of the most common household products in the United States. Most families and schools rely on it to prevent an epidemic when a child is sick or simply view it as a cleaner alternative to hand washing.
Although hand sanitizer is a lot more convenient than hand washing, especially while traveling, it may not be as safe or as effective than a good old-fashioned bar of soap.
Why Is Hand Sanitizer Harmful?
Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that may interfere with the body’s endocrine system and produce adverse developmental, reproductive, neurological, and immune effects in both humans and wildlife (1). BPA is one of these chemicals.
Bisphenol-A, commonly referred to as BPA is a chemical used in plastics and food containers. BPA can help make dyes bind to the paper, and make the printing more visible. It’s often found in the thermal paper used to make receipts, bus, plane and train tickets and other products.
A recent study shows that “hand sanitizer opens up your skin to allow BPA to get right in,” says Laura Vandenberg, who studies endocrine disruptors at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. (source)
Hand sanitizer also contains triclosan, which kills off both the good and bad bacteria (2). Thus, widespread use of triclosan may represent a potential public health risk in regard to development of antibacterial-resistant bacteria.
How To Make Your Own Natural Hand Sanitizer
- Mixing bowl
• Measuring cups and spoons
• Medium-size spray bottle
• 1 cup of distilled water
• 2 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol
• 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel
• ½ teaspoon of vitamin E oil
• 10 drops of tea tree essential oil
• 10 drops of cinnamon essential oil
• 5 drops of clove essential oil
• 5 drops of rosemary essential oil
• 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- Add rubbing alcohol to distilled water.
- Incorporate aloe vera gel to the mixture.
- Mix in vitamin E oil.
- Add tea tree oil, mix, and do the same with cinnamon oil.
- Repeat with clove, rosemary and eucalyptus oil.
- Stir the ingredients together until combined.
- Use a funnel to pour the mixture into the spray bottle.
- Tighten the cap and shake before use.
- Spray some on your palm and rub it all over your hands to use.
- Let air dry.
How It Works
Vitamin E oil acts as a moisturizer that counters the harshness of the rubbing alcohol. Aloe vera gel also helps moisturize your skin as well as fight bad bacteria.
Tea tree, cinnamon, clove, rosemary and eucalyptus essential oils are all effective antibacterial agents.
Cinnamon, clove and rosemary essential oils were among the 19 out of 21 oils found to be effective against potent bacteria in a 2006 study published in BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine (3).
Tea tree oil is a powerful antimicrobactial and antifungal agent whereas eucalyptus works against E. coli and S. aureus germs, according to a 2012 study published in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine (4).
- What Happens When you Drink Apple Cider Vinegar And Honey Water On An Empty Stomach In The Morning…
Updated Jul 7 2016. Drinking apple cider vinegar and honey water is strongly recommended for people who experience inflammation, problems with …
- 48 Foods to Balance Your Hormones, Boost Your Metabolism, and Lose Weight
Hormones are chemicals that the organs produce to regulate every function in the body. All processes are in delicate balance …
- How Your Blood Type Affects Your Health From Heart Disease To Fertility
Most people know what their blood type is—or at least you should. Your blood group is determined by genes that …
- When Depression Hits You Hard…This Is What Happens To Your Brain and Memory.
Depression is one of the most common mental illnesses in the world(1), but the causes of it can be varied. …
- Are You Being Overprescribed Antibiotics?
Antibiotics are, by all means, incredibly useful drugs, and they’ve turned what used to be lethal illnesses into mere annoyances (and maybe …
- Everyone Has Baking Soda In Their House, But Did You Know It Can Be Used For THIS…
Home remedies are pretty much a hit and miss because everybody reacts differently to certain treatment. Even in the world of …
- The New Cannabis Capsule Is So Powerful It Can Replace Any Pain Killer
Painkilling drugs, like many pharmaceuticals, have come under fire for their harmful side effects. Despite these well-documented effects, pharmaceuticals still …
- 5 Essential Lifestyle Habits for a Healthy Heart
Your heart supplies blood to all of your organs, without it functioning properly, you’re going to be in trouble! Check …
- Research Suggests Childhood Cancer Linked to Highway Pollution
At the annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research this past week, researchers presented data suggesting childhood health …
- This Bug’s Bite Can Make You Temporarily Allergic to Red Meat
It’s a bizarre, circuitous story. The best kind. Several years ago, a researcher working on the development of cancer drug …
- 8 Plants To Protect Yourself From Mosquito Bites This Summer
Mosquitoes are the bane of summertime – they make great food for bats and birds, but for people they’re a …
- New ‘Foolproof’ Test to Detect ADHD Fails To Live Up to Its Claim and Here’s Why.
Eight to ten percent of school-age children are currently diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). It is a behavioral …
- A Survey Was Given to 114 U.S. Doctors About Nutrition. Their Answers Should Be a Huge Wake Up Call for U.S. Healthcare.
Nutrition is pretty basic. You are what you eat and all that. We put our faith in our physicians to …
- Adding This Vitamin To Your Diet Lowers Your Risk of Frequent Migraines By 50%
There’s nothing more debilitating than a headache in the middle of the work day. It can make your whole day …
- This 2-Ingredient Mix Is All You Need To Get Rid Of Nail Fungus For Good!
There’s a lot of things that can affect your feet, whether it be athlete’s foot, ingrown toenails or foot pain. …