Between 7 and 8 percent of the US population experiences Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, or PTSD, at some point in their life(1).
PTSD is a mental condition caused by a traumatic event or series of events. Sources of PTSD can range from sexual and domestic violence, to accidents or natural disasters, to witnessing the injury or death of another person.
Many soldiers return from war zones with PTSD – formerly known as “shell shock” among veterans.
Symptoms of PTSD from combat situations are notorious difficult to live with when untreated.
Medical Marijuana For PTSD: The Evidence
A recent survey found that when polled, more than 75 percent of doctors believe that marijuana has legitimate medicinal effects, and would consider prescribing it if it were legal(2).
The federal government may even be close to authorizing Veteran’s Administration doctors to be able to prescribe marijuana to patients suffering from PTSD – but it’s an ongoing work in progress(3), and the delays have left many veterans – as well as civilians living with PTSD from other traumatic events – in the cold.
One Veteran’s Story
Veteran Kristoffer Lewandowski returned home to his wife and children after multiple tours of duty in the U.S. Marine Corps with PTSD.
In June 2014, he experienced a flare-up of PTSD symptoms – symptoms which can include flashbacks, panic attacks, paranoia, anger, and dissociation. While his wife took his children to their neighbor’s house in an attempt to de-escalate the situation and give him room to calm down, the cops were called in to help.
Instead of assisting Lewandowski with his mental health episode, the cops decided to search his house. They found several marijuana plants, which Lewandowski was growing to treat his PTSD.
Lewandowski was arrested on felony marijuana cultivation and possession of drug paraphernalia charges, in addition to a domestic violence charge(4) – despite the fact that his wife swears he was never violent towards her(5).
Due to the state of Oklahoma’s particularly stringent anti-drug laws(6), Lewandowski faced a possible life sentence in prison – all for growing medical marijuana to treat his post-traumatic stress disorder.
One Year Later…Charges Are Dropped!
According to the Free Kris Facebook page, Lewandowski was extradited from California to Oklahoma on July 9.
While he could still face charges in a military court, U.S. Marine Corps veteran Kristoffer Lewandowski no longer faces potential life imprisonment under multiple felony charges for possession of marijuana, which his wife insists he was growing to treat severe post-traumatic stress disorder.
This was all possible thanks to the support of the people, which lead to an astounding 20,000 signatures on a petition demanding his freedom. Another post on Facebook also credited the assistance of Kansas lawyer Sarah Swain, who drove to Oklahoma to defend the veteran pro-bono.
The Need For Change
Marijuana is currently classified in the United States as a schedule I controlled substance – meaning it’s considered more dangerous than crystal meth and cocaine.
The United States seems to be lagging behind several other countries when it comes to many states’ strict marijuana laws, including Canada and the United Kingdom. But until it catches up, many people living with post-traumatic stress disorder are faced with situations as impossible as Lewandowski’s.
- Alzheimer’s Disease May Start Long Before Even The Earliest Symptoms Become Apparent
When it comes to Alzheimer’s disease, early detection can make a huge difference in determining the course of a patient’s …
- Aboriginal Plant Extracts Show Properties That Can Help Treat Diabetes and Cancer, Study Finds
Type 2 diabetes is a serious public health concern in many countries – it’s one of the fasted growing metabolic …
- Onion Extract Can Help Lower Blood Sugar Levels, Study Shows
A recent study has researchers wondering if onion extract could be the key to new therapies for individuals with diabetes. …
- As Weird As This May Sound, Regular Visits To The Dentist Could Help Keep Your Prostate Healthy
Prostatitis – chronic inflammation of the prostate – is one of the most common urological infections among adult men, with …
- A Father and Son’s Genius Beehive Invention Let’s You Harvest Honey Without Disturbing Bees!
While the health effects of honey are well-researched and thoroughly documented, harvesting honey has long been the domain of professional …
- Eating Fatty Foods Help Protect Your Brain Against Diseases Like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
The human brain is truly a marvelous thing! Scientists understand only a fraction of what the brain is capable of …
- Video Game Developers Made This Virtual Forest For Both Alzheimer’s Patients and Their Caretakers
Many caretakers and family members of people living with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia can struggle to understand …
- One Less Sugary Drink a Day Reduces Your Risk of Developing Type 2 Diabetes by Almost 20%
According to the World Health Organization(1), Diabetes affects 9% of the adult population worldwide. Of those afflicted, approximately 90% have …
- Phosphates Artificially Added to Dairy And Cereals For Improved Flavor Can Harm Your Kidneys
Phosphates are artificially added to a number of food products, including dairy and cereal products. These artificially added phosphates cause …
- According To This Psychologist, Coloring Is Very Effective At Reducing Stress And Here’s Why
Think back to your days as a child and remember all of the wonderful times you had siting at a …
- Hidden Toxins In Makeup And Consumer Products Pose Multiple Health Risks For Women
As more and more people become aware of possible toxins from pesticides and hormones in their food, “clean” eating – …
- New Technology Helps Stimulate The Immune System to “Relentlessly Attack” Cancer Cells
When it comes to breast cancer, the best offense is a good defense – early detection, quickly followed up by intensive …
- Google Is Working On a Wrist-Worn Device That Can Kill Cancer (They Already Own The Patent For It!)
Google seems to be branching out lately – one of their recent projects is a wrist-worn device that could potentially …
- Your Gut Bacteria Produces a Whopping 90% of All Your Body’s Serotonin (a.k.a. The Happy Hormone)
Serotonin, a well-known neurotransmitter which has a significant role to play in mood disorders, migraine disorders, irritable bowel syndrome and …
- Muscle Supplements Like Creatine or Androstenedione Increases Your Risk of Testicular Cancer
Supplements are all the rage these days! From vitamin supplements for normal people to multivitamins for pregnant mothers to protein …