Brain surgery is perhaps the most delicate of intrusive surgical procedures.
The brain, for the most part, all looks alike–unlike the internal workings of a hip or heart.
The idiom “it’s not brain surgery” is founded on the simple fact that brain surgery is immensely complex and dangerous.
One wrong move and…anything can result. It’s a very daunting task.
Often when science looks deeply into nature, we find incredible organisms, chemistries, systems, and connections that are infinitely intricate yet somehow simple. In this vein, a neurosurgeon in Seattle has found an unusual use for venom in the treatment of cancer.
Reading all the types of surgery that are typically performed to treat a tumor on the brain is very intimidating; it sounds like a simple listing of the benefits of eating spinach. But the implications are tremendous.
One site numbered the brain surgeries in the U.S. at twenty million per year. That seems like quite a lot. According to the American Brain Tumor Association’s site:
“Surgery may be recommended to:
- Provide a tumor sample to establish an accurate diagnosis.
- Remove as much tumor as possible, either to relieve symptoms caused by the tumor itself or to reduce the amount of tumor to be treated with radiation or chemotherapy.
- Enable direct access for chemotherapy, radiation implants, or genetic treatment of malignant tumors.
- Relieve seizures (due to a brain tumor) that are hard to control.”
How interesting that the only courses of treatment considered for brain tumors are surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. There is a section on alternative and integrative medicine but it tells us to do our own research. More about that later.
Poison That can Actually Help us
James Olson, MD, PhD is a pediatric oncologist at the Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. He has been instrumental in developing a substance that can help neurosurgeons to clearly see tumors, facilitating more successful surgeries–and healthier patients.
The substance is based on scorpion venom which, when applied to tissue, sticks to cancer cells. Under a combination of infrared and white light, the chemical glows, making clear the difference between healthy and cancerous tissue.
The compound has been named “Tumor Paint” and has been successfully tested on dogs and mice for various cancers, including those of the pancreas, breast, skin, and brain. Human trials have just begun.
Dr. Olson’s idea for this began while he was still in medical school; for his PhD thesis, he helped develop a radioactive chemical that illuminates brain cancers for PET (positron emission tomography) scans.
Earlier Detection Possible
The active ingredient in “Tumor Paint” is an amino acid existing in the venom of the deathstalker scorpion (nice name!). It has the characteristic of blocking electrical impulses and binding to certain proteins.
Why this is so exciting is that, because the substance binds to every cancerous cell, a scan can see much smaller tumors, catching them earlier. Applied during surgery, the cancers, no matter how small, become visible in a very short time.
Phase 1 trial of “Tumor Paint” in Humans is Underway in Australia on Three Forms of Skin Cancer.
The incidence of brain cancer has increased over the years from 1975 to the present, with the average number of new cases rising from 5.85 per 100,000 Americans in 1975 to 6.47 in 2011 with the majority of cases occurring in White males and the fewest in African-American women. Not a huge jump statistically, unless you are the additional one.
We learn from Nature all the time. Even a deathstalker can offer us another chance at life.
- Top 5 Causes for Cancer
Environmental factors, the food you eat, and the lifestyle you choose play an important role in determining if you are …
- Add 1 Tbsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar To Your Next Bath To Quickly Detox Your Body
Everyone enjoys a good bath after a long day’s work. It’s relaxing and helps relieve tension throughout the whole body. Taking …
- How To Get Clear, Glowing, Spotless Skin By Using Aloe Vera Gel
The Ancient Egyptians called the aloe vera plant the “plant of immortality,” which should give you some insight into its …
- Starbucks’ Dirty Little Secret – You’ll Never Want To Go There Again
They’re seemingly on every corner in North America. Identified as the most popular coffeehouse chain, Starbucks, like other big chains, …
- 6 Home Remedies For Nasal Congestion That Will Give You Instant Relief
There’s nothing more annoying than not being able to breathe properly. People living with seasonal allergies know this all to …
- 3 Simple Ways to Shield Yourself from Computer and Cell Phone Radiation
With cell phones and computers becoming increasingly ubiquitous in society, many people are beginning to ponder the possibly negative effects …
- DIY Lip Scrub: 26 Easy Ways To Say Goodbye To Chapped Lips
What if it was ridiculously easy to make a DIY lip scrub at home and not worry about artificial chemicals? Cracked …
- This Is One of The Top Cancer Causing Foods
It’s hard to find a North American child who’s never tasted a hot dog. Countless schools and households rely on …
- Ginger Force Cancer Cell Death More Effectively Than Chemotherapy (How to Use Ginger As Medicine)
Ginger is widely used for digestive disorders, including dyspepsia, colic, nausea, vomiting, gastritis and diarrhea (1). It’s such a staple …
- The World’s Oldest Yoga Teacher Reveals Her Secrets to Maintaining a Youthful Mind and Healthy Body
They say yoga keeps you healthy and young; the epitome of that adage is 96-year-old Tao Porchon Lynch. Lynch is …
- EpiPen Cost Hike Under Fire: 600$ Medicine Costs Dollars To Make
In an interview with CNN this week, CEO of Imprimis Pharmaceuticals Mark Baum discussed his company’s plans to release an …
- Drink This Ginger-Banana Smoothie To Improve Digestion And Fight Inflammation
Like many of the most effective plants or herbs, ginger root has been used for centuries. Ginger has a very …
- The Benefits of Standing Desks
If you’re a business owner or have a home office, you might be interested to learn about the benefits of …
- The True History Of Chemotherapy & The Pharmaceutical Monopoly
Cancer isn’t just the disease of a generation, it’s been the disease of a century. While cancer charities have been …
- Medicinal Cannabis Is Slowly Replacing Several Prescription Medications
Since cannabis was legalized for medicinal and recreational purposes in the US, there has been a significant drop in opioid …