Schizophrenia is a terrible brain disorder to live with.
Symptoms can include everything from hearing voices, to abnormal social behaviors, and losing touch with reality.
There is no doubt that people living with schizophrenia have it hard. In fact, more than half of those diagnosed with this condition also struggle with substance abuse as a means to cope.
But there are some who have turned to something far less harmful to cope with their condition: ART.
The following pieces were created by people who live with schizophrenia. While some of them may be disturbing to look at, for their creators these works help to visualize the unrest in their heads. This makes the harsh consistency of their thoughts a little more bearable.
1. “Electricity Makes You Float” by Karen Blair
2. Notice the variety of moods, the cyst-like creatures growing out of this man’s head, representative of the confusion schizophrenia can sometimes bring.
3. These two photos were done by an unknown schizophrenic artist trying to capture the abstract nightmare of his thoughts.
4. This does look like a nightmare.
5. This insanely intricate drawing was done by Edmund Monsiel, an artist in the early 1900’s believed to have been suffering from schizophrenia.
6. This drawing was found in an old asylum, its artist was a paranoid schizophrenic.
7. A nefarious depiction of the affliction by Erik Baumann.
8. In 1950, Charles Steffen began compulsively making art like this on wrapping paper from inside a mental hospital. His obsession with transformation is very clear.
9. This artist suffers from a rare case of paranoid schizophrenia that causes him to have visual hallucinations. One of these visions is a figure named “Wither,” shown below.
10. Spooky, strange, but probably an accurate portrayal of what schizophrenia feels like on the inside.
11. This piece, entitled “Motifs of Mania,” depicts schizophrenia as a shadowy menace.
12. Karen May Sorensen recently began pushing the boundaries of her “madness,” by posting drawings and paintings on her blog while on varying levels of medication.
13. A series of paintings of cats by Louis Wain from the early 1900’s. They capture a slow descent into varying levels of schizophrenic episodes.
14. Another by Draak. Notice the two headed subjects in both pieces.
15. This piece captures the auditory hallucinations associated with the disease.
16. This schizophrenic artist feels trapped by it all.
17. Johfra Draak drew this in 1967, depicting a schizophrenic Dante’s Inferno.
Art is the closest thing to ever come close to showing us what it’s like to live with schizophrenia. And although much of this art may look scary and negative, the act of setting the anxieties on paper is a positive for the artists.
- How To Use Honey And Cinnamon To Lower Cholesterol And Boost Immune System
Honey and cinnamon both have incredible healing properties that can help you avoid pharmaceutical drugs. Best of all, they taste …
- These 5 Weird Things Happen To Your Body When You’re Not Getting Enough Iron
Have you been feeling unusually run down and tired lately? Are you easily distracted and struggling to find the energy …
- 7 Simple Remedies That Make Your Home Bug-Free Without Chemical
No matter how clean you keep your home, there’s no way to fully avoid getting the odd pest in your …
- This is What Happens to Your Body 10 Hours After Putting on Nail Polish
Take a look at your hands, what do they look like? If you’re a woman, your fingernails are probably painted …
- Top 7 Ways to Reduce Fluoride Exposure
In 1945, Grand Rapids, Michigan became the first US city to fluoridate the public water supply. The idea quickly caught …
- 6 Weird Reasons for Erectile Dysfunction. #5 Will Definitely Surprise You.
In the United States, approximately 30 million men regularly experience erectile dysfunction (ED): the consistent inability to achieve or maintain …
- It’s Not Natural Fluoride They’re Putting In Your Drinking Water – See What’s Really Added
Fluoride is natural mineral found in water. It’s most present in groundwater, where its concentration levels vary according to the …
- How To Use Herbalized Oils In Your Nose To Detox And Flush Out Toxins From Your Brain
Have you ever heard about “Nasya?” It’s considered one the top healing techniques used in Ayurveda. Nasya is the nasal inhalation …
- 8 Things You’re Doing That Drive Your Doctor Crazy
With the availability of information constant and instant, many people are taking their health into their own hands, doing research …
- Homocysteine: An Objective Biomarker for Health
Measuring your homocysteine levels can be an easy way of measuring your overall health. But what is homocysteine and why …
- WikiLeaks: Alcohol Industry Bribed Congress To Denounce Cannabis
Recreational cannabis use is on its way to becoming as widespread as alcohol. Top alcohol companies aren’t pleased with the …
- Give Your Dog A Tbsp. Of This Golden Turmeric Paste To Relieve Inflammation And Prevent Cancer
Like humans, pets can also benefit from healing herbs and foods. In fact, there’s a whole branch of veterinarian science …
- How to Naturally Cure an Eye Infection In 24 Hours With Salt Water
Pinkeye isn’t the only common eye infection around: styes and chalazions also take the cake. And if you’ve ever had …
- Love Hurts: The Neuroscience Behind Heartache
It’s that time of year again. Whether you’d like to admit it or not, Valentine’s Day brings with it emotions, …
- Are Your Sugary Treats Leading You Down the Road to Heart Disease
Many people who are not concerned with maintaining their weight or shedding a few excess pounds, may find that they …