Varicose veins can be very embarrassing and ugly; many people want to find ways to get rid of them.
These veins are twisted, gnarled, enlarged veins under the surface of the skin and for many people; it can be unthinkable to wear shorts or dresses.
Varicose veins are most common in the legs and ankles and for some people the problems can extend beyond the cosmetic issues.
What causes varicose veins?
There are a number of different things which can lead to the development of varicose veins, including:
- Age: As a person ages, the veins lose elasticity and stretch. The valves in veins can become weak and allow blood which should be flowing to the heart to flow backwards. Blood will pool in veins and cause enlargement. Varicose veins are blue in color because they contain deoxygenated blood which has become trapped.
- Pregnancy: Sometimes pregnant women will develop varicose veins. Being pregnant causes an increase in blood volume and it leads to reduced blood flow in the legs and pelvic area. The change in circulation is designed to support the growing baby, but it can cause veins to become enlarged. Varicose veins can surface early in pregnancy, when the weight of the uterus puts extra stress on the legs.
The following six tips are ways you naturally alleviate the symptoms of varicose veins:
1. Wear compression stockings
Wearing compression stockings can help prevent the progression of varicose veins. These stockings help improve circulation, are tighter at the foot and get looser as they go up the leg. For mild symptoms, a person can wear support hose, knee highs or knee socks, but for more serious cases it may be necessary to purchase specially fitted compression stockings from a medical supply company.
For people with varicose veins, a good way to encourage circulation is to get up and exercise. Walking is a good way to help improve circulation and speaking to your physician can be a good idea to find out what other types of exercises will be appropriate for you.
3. Horse chestnut
There are several scientific studies which have proven horse chestnut can help with the symptoms of varicose veins.  It is important to find a trusted brand of horse chestnut, because sometimes a homemade preparation may contain a toxic compound. People with liver or kidney disease, diabetes, or taking blood thinners should not use horse chestnut. People who are considering horse chestnut should speak to their physician before taking it.
Further Reading: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1055.html
Rutin is a bioflavinoid which strengthens the walls of veins and helps them perform better. There have been a number of studies performed which show rutin relieves vein swelling, pain and throbbing caused by varicose veins. As with adding any type of supplement to your diet, it is important to first speak to your doctor to make sure it is safe to do so.
5. Avoid long periods of sitting or standing
If you have a desk job or are on your feet much of the time at work, it is a good idea to change positions frequently in order to encourage good blood flow in the legs. You should try to move around every half an hour or so, in order to avoid blood pooling in the legs, which will reduce your chances of developing varicose veins.
6. Watching weight and diet
If you are overweight and eat an unhealthy diet, it may increase your chances of developing varicose veins. It is best to maintain a healthy body weight and to consume a healthy diet, because excess weight can put unnecessary pressure on the legs, causing varicose veins.
If you have developed varicose veins, you can try home treatment and lifestyle modifications to improve their appearance and to alleviate any discomfort. However, if varicose veins are causing leg pain, swelling, changes in the color of the skin on the legs or ankles or sores that do not heal easily, it is very important to seek medical attention to avoid any possible complications.
- The 8 Most Effective Nighttime Drinks For Quick Liver Detoxing and Fat Burning
Similar to biorhythms that dominate your physical, emotional and intellectual state, Traditional Chinese Medicine believes that your body goes through …
- 8 Reasons Why You Feel Bloated All The Time (And How To Fix The Problem)
This post first appeared on Darou Wellness.Bloating is one of the most frequent complaints that I hear in my office, …
- All Positive Reviews: “Becoming a Supple Leopard”
With nearly two months in Amazon’s top 100 fitness bestsellers, Becoming a Supple Leopard is unique to the category in …
- The Many Health Benefits of Music on The Brain
We all know it without having to read the multitudinous studies: music affects us. How it affects us isn’t always …
- Researchers Document Over 40 Plant-Based Compounds That Can Halt The Spread of Cancer
How deadly cancer can be often depends on how fast it spreads, or metastasizes, in the body. A cancerous tumor …
- 1 Lemon Peel Trick To Get Rid of Inflammation And Chronic Pain
Lemons are well-known for its health benefits. In fact, you’ve probably heard a lot about the advantages of drinking warm lemon water …
- Use These One-Ingredient Solutions To Make Your House Bug-Free (Without Chemicals)
Bug infestations can quickly go from mildly annoying to unmanageable. It can be embarrassing to have friends and family over …
- If You Notice This Plant Growing Nearby, Whatever You Do Don’t Touch It!
This is probably something that should be taught in school but isn’t. The plant is called “giant hogweed” and while …
- Are You Being Overprescribed Antibiotics?
Antibiotics are, by all means, incredibly useful drugs, and they’ve turned what used to be lethal illnesses into mere annoyances (and maybe …
- Thermograms: Safer, More Accurate than Mammograms
Until recently, the medical community urged every woman over the age of 40 to get yearly mammograms. As the dangers …
- Study: Drinking Coffee Might Lower Risk of Liver Cancer
Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), the most common type of liver cancer to you and me, could have its chances of developing …
- Fast Food Giant McDonald’s Is “Facing Its Final Days” And It’s Thanks To You!
McDonalds has recently announced that they will close 700 locations (1). If this a preview of what’s to come, the …
- University of California Study: Non-drug Treatment May Reverse Alzheimer’s
It’s not really news for those who are aware but for everyone else, it may be an awakening that is …
- Indian State Will Pay Farmers To Go 100% Organic And GMO-Free
Organic food has taken the world by storm. And while some countries are riding the wave with very little regulation, …
- Watch What Happens When You Drink THIS Beetox Smoothie 5 Days In a Row
Our liver is one of the least discussed organs in the body and happens to also be one of the …