Eighty-three percent of the population in the United States visits fast food joints and over sixty-eight percent visits casual dining restaurants at least once a week. (1)
People’s schedules are so busy that for many, the ease and expediency of stopping for a quick bite is too good to resist.
So it’s encouraging when a big cafe and bakery chain decides to improve the quality of its ingredients purely for health reasons.
Panera Bread (also known as Saint Louis Bread Company and Paradise Bakery & Cafe) serves almost two thousand locations throughout the U.S. and in Ontario, Canada. Last year, its CEO Ron Shaich announced that it was doing an overhaul to eliminate artificial and questionable chemicals from all of its products, with a special eye on its kids’ meals:
“Frankly, the typical restaurant-industry kids [sic] meal doesn’t serve our kids well. We shouldn’t be marketing to kids. Toys and games distract from honest food choices. They come with poor options like fries and sugary beverages. This is not food as it should be. The meals we serve our children should be good food.” (2)
When marketing to children—a remarkably clever and effective strategy—the focus has been on the stuff you get: toys, movie merchandise, and contests. Bright, loud, and repetitive advertisements compel children to pester their parents to visit a particular place—most often a fast-food chain. Several fast food companies pledged some years ago to curtail this type of advertising in favor of marketing that showcases the food instead. A 2013 study found that those “quick service restaurants” did not live up to that promise. (3)
Panera has deviated from that group.
The children’s menu is missing soda and French fries. There are several sandwiches, soups, salads, and the standards mac&cheese and buttered noodles. Sides include apples and organic yogurt. Its pledge:
“A Kids’ Meal Should Be:
- Clean – no artificial flavors, preservatives, sweeteners or colors from artificial sources.
- Full of delicious options – let them make their own choices from a menu full of tasty, wholesome options.
- Worthy of trust – no gimmicks. No distractions. No cartoon characters, crazy colors, toys, or toy-shaped food.
- Nutritiously paired – growing bodies need a meal complete with nutritious sides. Not fries, no onion rings. Options like organic yogurt, sprouted grain rolls or apples.
- Drink optional – kids meals shouldn’t encourage kids to drink a sugary beverage. Ours never have, never will. Water first, or you can add on organic milk or 100% juice.” (4)
Panera has compiled a “No-No List” of forty-five chemicals (some of them seriously toxic) it will stop using by the end of 2016 and others it has never used in the food it serves. To see the full list, click here.
These are all commonly found not only in fast- and casual food but in any processed food you can buy off a shelf. The No-Nos include artificial colors and flavors, alum, propylene glycol, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, L-cysteine, caramel color, and maltodextrin.
This is great news for anyone who eats Panera’s food—not just kids.
If Chipotle’s experience is any indication, Panera can expect to profit from this bold move. Chipotle is the largest Mexican-style casual food restaurant in the U.S. A few years ago, it announced that it was going GMO-free (Genetically-Modified Organisms). The day following the announcement, its stock went up significantly and six months later was at forty-one cents a share higher than projected.
It’s not that people don’t want to eat better, it’s that their lifestyles make it difficult to always make healthful meals at home.
Fresh, nutritious slow food made with love at home is always better than eating out in every way except convenience. It’s comforting to know that some restaurants are taking the lead in ensuring that the food they provide their customers is not a horrendous second best.
- Cooking With Canola Releases More Toxic Cancer-Causing Chemicals Than Any Other Type of Oil
Experts recommend frying foods in coconut or extra virgin olive oil as opposed to vegetable oils. They even go so …
- Wearing a Pair of Eyeglasses Like These Could Help You Sleep Better At Night And Here’s Why
According to the CDC, insufficient sleep is a national epidemic, “linked to motor vehicle crashes, industrial disasters, and medical and …
- 4 Powerful Herbs for Natural Pain Relief
Before the advent of modern medicine, people used herbs and spices to effectively treat everything from colds to cancer. What …
- This Is What Happens To Your Body When You Put An Onion In Your Sock Before Going To Bed
Onions: you either love them or hate them. They do so much more for you body then just making you …
- Couple Donates $33.7 Million To Medical Cannabis Research After Cannabis Cured Granddaughter’s Epilepsy
Katelyn Lambert of Sydney, Australia has a rare form of epilepsy called Dravet syndrome. It is characterized by frequent and …
- When You Try This 2,000-Year-Old Lotion Recipe, You’ll Know Why People Still Use It
Facial cleansers are everywhere on the market today, and it can be hard to know which ones are actually good …
- How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar To Dissolve Kidney Stones
Kidney stones (renal lithiasis, nephrolithiasis) are small, hard deposits that form inside your kidneys. The stones are made of mineral …
- Powerful Mix To Drink Morning And Night For Steady Weight Loss
Weight loss isn’t just about dieting or working out, it’s a set of healthy habits that you truly have to …
- Soak Your Whites In Baking Soda Water For THIS Genius Reason!
Most people find themselves thinking twice before purchasing a classic white blouse or shirt. The fact is that white clothing …
- Press These Points On Your Baby’s Feet To Soothe Their Pain For Better Sleep
There isn’t anything quite as heartbreaking as a parent than hearing your baby cry and not knowing what’s wrong. Some …
- DON’T Do This at The Grocery Store (Automatically Adds More Calories)
Have you ever shopped for food hungry? Many people think that shopping while hungry influences your food purchasing decisions. It’s …
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Visit Your Doctor Even if You Feel Healthy
The seemingly endless questions, and all of the poking and prodding that comes with having to endure a physical checkup …
- 4 Natural Ingredients You Can Eat To Help Your Body Detox And Flush Out Heavy Metals
We live in a world full of toxins. From the food we eat, the water we drink, and the air we …
- Fish Oils Save Young Accident Victims from Permanent Brain Damage
Every once in a great while, mainstream doctors look away from their “standard of care” medical bags and dare to …
- “Organic” Food From China Found To Be Highly Contaminated
With increasing awareness of the benefits of proper nutrition, organic food has taken the world by storm. Organic food sales …