We know about the potential health benefits of turmeric, a popular Indian spice that has been shown to have potent anti-inflammatory and even anti-cancer properties.
But there’s a problem when it comes to getting enough turmeric: the bright yellow spice is not easily absorbed into the body.
Fortunately, fermenting this spice in a naturally carbonated soda may just be the key to increasing the bioavailability of turmeric, at least according to a study published in the International Journal Of Food Science And Technology.
According to the study, turmeric’s bioavailability increased significantly in rats when the turmeric was administered as part of a fermented beverage.
Here’s a simple recipe for a naturally fermented turmeric drink, which can help you reap the benefits of this important dietary element.
Fermented Turmeric Soda Recipe
- 1 cup freshly grated turmeric
- 3/4 cup raw honey
- Juice and zest from two lemons or limes (or a combination of both!)
- 6 cups of water
Bring water and sliced turmeric in a quart of water and heat to boiling. Boil at least 20 minutes, until the water becomes a rich golden yellow. Simmer for 20 minutes. Cool to body temperature then add the zest and juice and honey. Transfer to a large 2 L mason jar (or between two smaller ones).
Stir, screw on the lid and sit on the counter for 2-3 days in hot weather, 4-5 in winter, or until slightly bubbly. Stir or shake a little occasionally. Strain into bottles with a loose cap. Allow to carbonate for another 2-3 days at room temperature, and then put in the fridge. It will last a week in the fridge before it goes vinegary.
How It Works
According to the study mentioned earlier, fermented turmeric just has a much higher bioavailability – meaning the body has an easier time absorbing it and putting it to use(1). This was true in the rat models researchers tested it on, and they strongly suspected that it is true in humans as well.
When not fermented, turmeric has health benefits as well, but it takes larger doses to get therapeutic effects(2).
Whether raw, cooked or fermented, turmeric has a notable place in both ancient and modern medicine, being used to treat a multitude of conditions. Studies have shown it can help with chronic inflammation and pain, and its uses are being extensively studied by many doctors and researchers(3).
- This Aloe Vera Smoothie Is a Natural Anti-Inflammatory With Over 200 Active Enzymes!
Aloe vera has an intimidating appearance, but it is full of beneficial nutrients – containing at least 20 minerals, 12 …
- See What Happens To Your Body When You Mix Sauerkraut And Turmeric
Fermentation isn’t limited to the process of making your favorite beer or wine. It’s actually used to produce a wide …
- How To Make Your Own Raw Banana And Almond Butter Ice Cream
As the weather heats up, the hunt is on for refreshing, cold snacks that are also good for you. A …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …
- 27 Turmeric Recipes That Will Spice Up Your Life
Turmeric is the superfood that makes our cooking dazzle. But it does ever so much more than simply flavor and color our food. Cooking …
- Curb Sugar Cravings With This Homemade Cinnamon Coconut Kefir Water
Kefir (pronounced kee-fer), a cultured milk product from the Caucasus Mountains in Eastern Europe, has seen a rise in popularity …
- Ginger, Honey and Cinnamon Mixture to Reverse Inflammation, Colds, Flu, Cramps, Diabetes And Cancer
Tea is often the first thing we reach for when we aren’t feeling well. While green tea has many benefits, …
- The Fat-Burning Coconut Cookies you Can Eat for Breakfast to Boost Your Metabolism
There are few things more satisfying than a good-for-you cookie. As health-conscious people, we forego junk food and added sugars …
- Have You Ever Tried ‘Hummoli’? This Dip Has Chickpeas, Avocado, Olive Oil, and More Healthy Ingredients!
Snacking can be the downfall of anyone trying to live a healthy lifestyle. With so many unhealthy options available at …
- Drink This Ancient Detox Tea To Cleanse The Liver, Boost Memory and Reduce Muscle Pain
There’s no shortage of recipes for detoxifying teas and other beverages, but unlike many, this recipe has withstood the test …
- 3-Ingredient Recipe Makes For a Powerful Drink That Promises To Detoxify And Energize The Body!
This easy-to-make beverage is perfect for having over breakfast, and contains ingredients that will aid in digestion, boost your immune …
- Drink This Probiotic-Rich Lemonade To Boost Your Immune System And Improve Gut Health
There’s no drink more appropriate on a warm sunny day than a tall glass of lemonade, especially when citrus fruits …
- 3 Drinks To Detox Your Liver And Flush Out Fat
Food additives, over-the-counter pills, stress and environmental toxins are all things that can harm your liver. This is the reason why …
- 5 Antioxidant-Rich Blackberry Recipes
Blackberries are so much more than a dessert fruit staple. Not only are they able to help keep you looking …
- Anti-inflammatory Honey Turmeric Tonic Recipe And 17 Other Master Tonics
If you often find yourself tired or sick, it may be time to start integrating a master tonic or two …