According to the American Oral Cancer Foundation, nearly 50,000 Americans will be diagnosed with some form of oral cancer this year – ultimately killing almost half of the people diagnosed within a 5-year time span(1).
While oral cancer is not as frequently discussed as other forms of cancer, such as breast cancer and prostate cancer, it is no less deadly – and researchers are no less determined to find potential therapeutic treatments for it.
But a new study has discovered a surprising potential source of treatment for oral cancer – one that is accessible in most grocery stores. According to researchers, a nutrient found in common green tea has potent anti-cancer properties when it comes to oral cancers in particular.
Published in the journal Molecular Nutrition of Food and Research, the study looks at the ability of the natural substance epigallocatechin-3-gallate, or EGCG, to destroy cancer cells(2).
Specifically, it looks at how the substance destroys cancer cells – something which has been known of but not understood until now.
“EGCG is doing something to damage the mitochondria and that mitochondrial damage sets up a cycle causing more damage and it spirals out, until the cell undergoes programmed cell death”, explains researcher on the study Joshua Lambert.
As the mitochondria in the cancer cells mount a defence against EGCG, it becomes easier for the human body’s immune system to attack and destroy the cells – leaving healthy cells intact.
Cancer Treatment Potential
Researchers are hopeful that this study may pave the way to newer, less actively destructive methods of cancer treatment.
Current chemotherapy drugs work by targeting rapidly dividing cells. While cancer cells divide rapidly, so do healthy cells in your hair follicles and intestines – which is why contemporary cancer treatments are known for their terrible side effects.
“You don’t see these sorts of side effects with green tea consumption,” said Lambert.
While clinical trials seem to be a ways off yet, this study provides new hope to those battling oral cancer that a new treatment may be available eventually.
The Importance Of Prevention And Early Detection With Oral Cancer
Of course, with gentler and more effective therapies only in the preliminary stages of development, early detection and prevention are key in promoting better survival rates when it comes to oral cancer.
According to an article in the American Journal of Clinical Dermatology,
“early diagnosis within stages I and II correspond to a vastly improved 5-year survival rate when compared with more advanced stage III and IV lesions.”(3)
Major risk factors for oral cancer include smoking and other consumption of tobacco products, such as chewing tobacco(4).
- Eating Vegetables and Proteins Before Carbs Helps Keep Your Blood Sugar Levels In Check
A new study published in the Journal of Diabetes Care says that how, in addition to what, you eat may …
- Just Staring At an Image of a Green Roof For 40 Seconds Is Enough To Improve Focus, Study Finds
Green rooftops may be just starting to catch on in North America, but around the world countries like France have …
- Taking a 45-Minute Nap During The Day Can Improve Your Memory by Fivefold, Study Finds
Who doesn’t love a good nap? While naps are considered important for children in early phases of development, they are equally …
- Here’s What Happened To Beijing’s Sky When It Decided To Take 5 Million Cars Off The Road
Air pollution is bad for you and the environment. In the same way that second-hand smoke can kill, air pollution can …
- Exposure to Herbicides and Insecticides Increase Your Risk of Developing Parkinson’s Disease
Pesticides, herbicides, and insecticides have all been linked to a wide range of health problems, which is why there is …
- A Medicinal Plant Called “Thunder God Vine” May Prove Effective In Weight Loss, Study Says
A plant commonly used in traditional Chinese medicine, known as the thunder god vine, has been the subject of some …
- Sleep Apnea Responsible For Early Memory Loss And Cognitive Decline, Study Finds
It’s a well-documented fact that sleep is good for your brain. When you sleep: Your brain is able to consolidate …
- Teach Your Grandparents How To Use Facebook. It Could Help Keep Their Memories Sharp, Study Finds.
According to preliminary research from a University of Arizona graduate student, learning to use Facebook could offer adults over the …
- Here’s Why Listening To Heavy Metal Music Can Actually Benefit You
No, we’re not talking about minerals – heavy metal music, as well as music in the emo, hardcore, punk, and …
- After Reading This, You’ll Never Look At Salmon The Same (A Pill That Turns Salmon Flesh Pink?)
A staple food in many diets, perhaps most notably the recently popular Paleo diet, salmon is a good source of …
- Loneliness Can Be Just As Bad As Obesity And Heavy Smoking, Study Finds
Did you know that loneliness can be just as dangerous for your health as being overweight or smoking excessively? That …
- Hexavalent Chromium (Chromium-6) Was Just Found In 75% Of Drinking Water
Access to clean drinking water is a basic human right- or at least it should be. While there are many …
- Tainted Cilantro is Making People Sick Because of Where It’s Being Grown And Now It’s Been Banned
Cilantro is one of those herbs that offer a host of benefits. But be careful of where it comes from! According …
- Depression Can Affect Every Aspect of Your Body and Mind…Right Down to Your DNA, Study Says
Depression affects almost 7% of the US population, according to the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance(1) and the effects of …
- Pregnancy Test Leads To Cancer Diagnosis For Teenage Boy
When 18 year old Byron Geldard was diagnosed with cancer, doctors were stumped as to what kind of cancer he …