(originally written by Max Goldberg)
The lawsuits against industrial food companies just keep piling up. First, it was Wesson Oils who got sued for using GMOs in its products that the company claimed were “100% Natural”.
Then, Kashi got sued for using prescription drugs, irradiated substances, pesticides that are a by-product of uranium mining, and federally declared hazardous substances in products that it claimed were “All-Natural” and contained “Nothing Artificial”.
Now, here comes a class action lawsuit against Naked Juice (owned by PepsiCo) for using genetically-modified ingredients and synthetic substances in products that were marketed as “Non-GMO” and “All-Natural”.
Highlights of the Naked Juice lawsuit accuse the company of:
1) Labeling its products as “Non-GMO” when, in fact, it knowingly used genetically-modified ingredients in its products.
2) False and misleading labeling of its products as “100% Juice”, “100% Fruit” and “All Natural” when the products contained many different synthetic ingredients and synthetic fibers such as:
- Fibersol-2 — a proprietary synthetic digestion-resistant fiber produced by Archer Daniels Midland and developed by a Japanese chemical company.
- Fructooligosaccharides — a synthetic fiber and sweetener.
- Inulin — an artificial and invisible fiber added to foods to artificially increase fiber content with the typical fiber mouth-feel.
3) Intentionally misleading and deceiving its customers.
In my view, the allegations in the Naked Juice lawsuit are much, much worse than the Kashi and ConAgra ones. Why?
The legal crackdown on the use the term “natural” is something that is only now taking place.
While companies may absolutely be violating the law by using GMOs and synthetic substances in products that they claim to be “all-natural”, the legal precedent has not been set yet. It soon will be.
Furthermore, since our government has done nothing to truly clarify and enforce what “natural” means, major food companies have been dancing around the issue hoping not to get caught. That party is coming to an end.
However, with the Naked Juice lawsuit, the company is being accused of using GMOs when it states that its products are “Non-GMO”.
If proven true, this is blatant fraud and deception. No legal education or chemistry background is needed to tell you that this is clearly illegal.
What makes matters worse is the packaging of Naked Juice products and how it sells the promise of something incredibly wholesome and healthy.
As I have stated before, this is only a major positive for the organic industry and for all consumers.
The more people realize that “natural” means very little, the more they will gravitate towards organic, where there are standards, enforcement and regulation.
Please share this article about the Naked Juice lawsuit with anyone you know that may be purchasing Naked Juice products.
If you’d like to to read the full legal complaint, click HERE (PDF file).
For more information on the Naked Juice class action lawsuit settlement, click HERE.
- Eating Coffee Fruit Can Help Boost Your Immune System And Improve Brain Function
A cup of coffee in the morning can help improve mental clarity and sharpen your focus – there’s a reason …
- 7 Food Combinations That Work Better Together Than Apart
Some food combinations just seem to go great together naturally – like orange juice and oatmeal with fruit in the …
- Nutrients Found In Spinach Help Sharpen Your Brain and Improve Your Eyesight
This strong flavored vegetable is packed with iron, calcium, magnesium, folate, manganese; along with the vitamins such as A, C …
- Is Eating Grains Destroying Your Brain?
It seems like there are always fad diets going around that suggest cutting out meat, or eating only meat, or …
- 6 Reasons Why We Should All Be Eating More Hummus
Hummus is a food experiencing a surge in popularity lately – the creamy Middle Eastern dish is now found in …
- What Was Burger King Thinking When They Released This Bizarre New Burger?
Cool. Burgers gone metal. Rock it out. Japanese fast-food customers will be getting a new visual experience with Burger King’s …
- Are These Common Low-Carb Mistakes Sabotaging Your Results?
1. You’re Still Eating Too Many Carbs! When people are told to go on a low-carb diet in order to …
- America’s #1 GMO Cookie that Causes Fatty Liver And Cancer
Oreo cookies are of America’s most well-loved and recognized treats. Throughout their 104-year legacy, the cookie brand has settled into …
- 7 Reasons to Stop Eating This Highly Processed Seafood
Those imitation crab sticks (surimi) wrapped in packages in the fish cooler at the supermarket are very tempting: they look …
- Cabbage: Natural Medicine For Cancer, Diabetes And More
When you think of cabbage, you likely think of wonderful summer picnics with grandma’s special coleslaw recipe or a nice …
- This Fruity Alternative Works 5x Better Than Cough Syrup
Not only is it delicious and reminiscent of the tropics, pineapple (which is neither pine nor apple) has nutrition and …
- Why Beer Could Be Good for your Health
That beer belly of yours might not be associated with beer at all, according to a Czech Republic study cited …
- Dark Chocolate Spreads Happiness Throughout The Whole Body
Sometimes food is good for us in ways we don’t know—we eat them because we like them. Chocolate is a …
- 3 Powerful Ways To Shield Your Brain From Memory Loss
The scariest part of aging is the thought that someday you may not recognize your loved ones or remember your …
- McDonald’s Cozies Up to Foodies to Prove Its Food is ‘Real’
This falls into the category of “surely you must be joking”. In efforts to improve its flagging sales, McDonald’s recently …