(originally written by Max Goldberg)
The lawsuits against industrial food companies just keep piling up. First, it was Wesson Oils who got sued for using GMOs in its products that the company claimed were “100% Natural”.
Then, Kashi got sued for using prescription drugs, irradiated substances, pesticides that are a by-product of uranium mining, and federally declared hazardous substances in products that it claimed were “All-Natural” and contained “Nothing Artificial”.
Now, here comes a class action lawsuit against Naked Juice (owned by PepsiCo) for using genetically-modified ingredients and synthetic substances in products that were marketed as “Non-GMO” and “All-Natural”.
Highlights of the Naked Juice lawsuit accuse the company of:
1) Labeling its products as “Non-GMO” when, in fact, it knowingly used genetically-modified ingredients in its products.
2) False and misleading labeling of its products as “100% Juice”, “100% Fruit” and “All Natural” when the products contained many different synthetic ingredients and synthetic fibers such as:
- Fibersol-2 — a proprietary synthetic digestion-resistant fiber produced by Archer Daniels Midland and developed by a Japanese chemical company.
- Fructooligosaccharides — a synthetic fiber and sweetener.
- Inulin — an artificial and invisible fiber added to foods to artificially increase fiber content with the typical fiber mouth-feel.
3) Intentionally misleading and deceiving its customers.
In my view, the allegations in the Naked Juice lawsuit are much, much worse than the Kashi and ConAgra ones. Why?
The legal crackdown on the use the term “natural” is something that is only now taking place.
While companies may absolutely be violating the law by using GMOs and synthetic substances in products that they claim to be “all-natural”, the legal precedent has not been set yet. It soon will be.
Furthermore, since our government has done nothing to truly clarify and enforce what “natural” means, major food companies have been dancing around the issue hoping not to get caught. That party is coming to an end.
However, with the Naked Juice lawsuit, the company is being accused of using GMOs when it states that its products are “Non-GMO”.
If proven true, this is blatant fraud and deception. No legal education or chemistry background is needed to tell you that this is clearly illegal.
What makes matters worse is the packaging of Naked Juice products and how it sells the promise of something incredibly wholesome and healthy.
As I have stated before, this is only a major positive for the organic industry and for all consumers.
The more people realize that “natural” means very little, the more they will gravitate towards organic, where there are standards, enforcement and regulation.
Please share this article about the Naked Juice lawsuit with anyone you know that may be purchasing Naked Juice products.
If you’d like to to read the full legal complaint, click HERE (PDF file).
For more information on the Naked Juice class action lawsuit settlement, click HERE.
- Can’t Afford Organic All The Time? No Worries, These 15 Foods Have Virtually No Pesticides!
Foods that are pesticides free – Accessibility? While many health-conscious shoppers choose to buy organic produce, the reality is that …
- 6 Prebiotic-Rich Foods That Will Feed Your Healthy Gut Bacteria
Your gastrointestinal tract likely needs your help. That’s right, your gut. Your gut is essentially just a tube that transfers …
- Why You Need to Try the Elimination Diet
Allergies, skin problems, digestive problems… what do all of these things have in common? A lot more than most people …
- This Fruit Will Fight Insomnia and Boost Brain Function in Minutes
“Most natural product research is market-driven and thus many plant species are overlooked for their health value due to lack …
- Will Eating Too Many Fruits Make Me Fat?
Most of us generally think of fruit as a healthy snack or addition to a meal, but many diets and …
- Top 8 Food Companies That Sold You Lies
The nature and basis of the capitalist system is a competitive market. Manufacturers produce what the market wants and buyers …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Top 8 Healing Herbs Just for Women
Many women go through sleeplessness, monthly menstrual aches, and a variety of other bothersome issues. As a result, it is …
- Feta: The World’s Healthiest Cheese That Nobody Talks About
If you’re a fan of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern food, you’re familiar with feta cheese. Its salty moist crumbliness makes …
- Drinking a Cup of Gymnema Sylvestre Tea Before Eating Will Help You Manage Sugar Cravings
The total medical costs and lost work and wages for people diagnosed with diabetes is approximately 245 billion dollars, with …
- The Truth About “Healthy” Vegetable Oils
There are good fats and bad fats. Knowing which is which sometimes seems like a chore. What’s worse is that …
- Natural Compound Found in Grapes Protects DNA, Cuts Risk of Heart Disease and Cancer
This powerful polyphenol is no stranger to news headlines and the health-minded people who are privy to various findings about it. …
- Top 15 Foods That Help Fight Chronic Inflammation
Inflammation is the bane of many doctors and patients’ existence. It accompanies many infections and bodily injuries and is infamous …
- Should I Eat That Peanut Butter Sandwich?
A peanut butter sandwich probably seems pretty innocuous, but is it really good for you? Let’s take apart this lunchtime …
- Are You Missing Out On The Health Benefits of Drinking Tea?
We are a nation of coffee drinkers, with an estimated eighty percent of Americans preferring coffee as their beverage of …