Everyone knows that smoking is terrible for your health, yet many people still indulge in this bad habit.
If you’re a former smoker or find yourself often around second hand smoke, it’s a good idea to detox your lungs to get rid of chemical build-up.
If you haven’t stopped smoking yet, this recipe can help you support your lungs as you try to quit. You can even use it as a cough syrup during cold season!
Lung Detox Recipe
Use this recipe to speed the healing process as you’re quitting your smoking habit.
- 14 oz /400 g, roughly chopped onions
- 34 oz /1 liter of water
- 5 tablespoons of organic honey
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger
- Pour water into a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, ginger and turmeric.
- Just before it boils, reduce the heat and let it simmer.
- Let the liquid reduce by half.
- Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
- Add honey and stir.
- Strain into a glass jar with a lid.
- Once completely cooled, store in the refrigerator.
- To use, take two tablespoons in the morning, on an empty stomach and two in the evening, two hours after a meal.
Ginger is often used to treat and prevent allergy symptoms (1), which can can be quite similar to the side effects of smoking.
Many natural aids to stop smoking include ginger ingredients because of its ability to help ease nausea. Nausea is one of the top symptoms of nicotine withdrawal (2). In fact, ginger has been used to help headaches and nausea for more than 2,000 years (3).
Ginger extract can also help ease inflammation, which tends to affect the lining of a smoker’s lungs. It’s even been compared to pharmaceutical drugs like indomathacin (4).
Onions contain phenolics, flavonoids and quercetin which are anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and possess antioxidant properties (5,6).
Onions also contain allicin, the same powerful compound as garlic. Both bulbs have been found to fight oral, esophageal, colon, rectal, laryngeal, breast, ovary, renal, and prostate cancers (7). Alliin slows cancer by supressing the formation of nitrosamine compounds, which are carcinogenetic (8).
Besides lung cancer, tobacco use also increases the risk for cancers of the mouth, lips, nose and sinuses, larynx (voice box), pharynx (throat), esophagus (swallowing tube), stomach, pancreas, kidney, bladder, uterus, cervix, colon/rectum, ovary (mucinous), and acute myeloid leukemia. (source)
A 2007 study in the journal Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine found that honey, when taken by the tablespoon, actually rivaled most commercial cough syrups in terms of effectiveness in easing coughs (9).
Since dry cough and heaving are two of the most common side effects of smoking, a sweet spoon of honey is what the throats of smokers crave.
You can also use honey wraps to help ease coughing and remove excess mucus from the chest.
Cigarette smoking causes 90% of all lung cancers and is thought to do so primarily by inducing DNA mutation.
Chronic inflammation of the lung tissue exposed to cigarette smoke also contributes to the development of the disease.
A recent study concluded that curcumin, the active compound in turmeric, suppresses the progression of K-ras-induced lung cancer in mice by inhibiting intrinsic and extrinsic inflammation and by direct anti-tumoral effects.
These findings suggested that curcumin could be used to prevent lung cancer in high-risk COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) patients (10).
Researcher have also found that the spice can suppress tumor initiation, promotion and metastasis (11), suggesting that it may be therapeutic for cancer patients as well.
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- 20 Natural Ways to Cleanse Your Lungs
Most of us take breathing for granted. Even if you don’t smoke or experience respiratory problems, an occasional lung cleanse …
- 14 Early Warning Signs Of Mold Toxicity Everyone Should Know (Millions Are Exposed Every Day)
When you hear the word mold, you often think of rotten food or dirty showers in bathrooms, but this very …
- How to Effectively Remove a Painful Ingrown Toenail WITHOUT Having To Go To The Doctor
If you ever suffered from an ingrown toenail, then you know that it’s not only super painful, it’s also hard …
- THIS Is What Happens To Your Face After Washing It With Coconut Oil and Baking Soda
Baking soda and coconut oil face wash, can be very good for washing your face. Exfoliating your skin has become …