Everyone knows that smoking is terrible for your health, yet many people still indulge in this bad habit.
If you’re a former smoker or find yourself often around second hand smoke, it’s a good idea to detox your lungs to get rid of chemical build-up.
If you haven’t stopped smoking yet, this recipe can help you support your lungs as you try to quit. You can even use it as a cough syrup during cold season!
Lung Detox Recipe
Use this recipe to speed the healing process as you’re quitting your smoking habit.
- 14 oz /400 g, roughly chopped onions
- 34 oz /1 liter of water
- 5 tablespoons of organic honey
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger
- Pour water into a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, ginger and turmeric.
- Just before it boils, reduce the heat and let it simmer.
- Let the liquid reduce by half.
- Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
- Add honey and stir.
- Strain into a glass jar with a lid.
- Once completely cooled, store in the refrigerator.
- To use, take two tablespoons in the morning, on an empty stomach and two in the evening, two hours after a meal.
Ginger is often used to treat and prevent allergy symptoms (1), which can can be quite similar to the side effects of smoking.
Many natural aids to stop smoking include ginger ingredients because of its ability to help ease nausea. Nausea is one of the top symptoms of nicotine withdrawal (2). In fact, ginger has been used to help headaches and nausea for more than 2,000 years (3).
Ginger extract can also help ease inflammation, which tends to affect the lining of a smoker’s lungs. It’s even been compared to pharmaceutical drugs like indomathacin (4).
Onions contain phenolics, flavonoids and quercetin which are anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and possess antioxidant properties (5,6).
Onions also contain allicin, the same powerful compound as garlic. Both bulbs have been found to fight oral, esophageal, colon, rectal, laryngeal, breast, ovary, renal, and prostate cancers (7). Alliin slows cancer by supressing the formation of nitrosamine compounds, which are carcinogenetic (8).
Besides lung cancer, tobacco use also increases the risk for cancers of the mouth, lips, nose and sinuses, larynx (voice box), pharynx (throat), esophagus (swallowing tube), stomach, pancreas, kidney, bladder, uterus, cervix, colon/rectum, ovary (mucinous), and acute myeloid leukemia. (source)
A 2007 study in the journal Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine found that honey, when taken by the tablespoon, actually rivaled most commercial cough syrups in terms of effectiveness in easing coughs (9).
Since dry cough and heaving are two of the most common side effects of smoking, a sweet spoon of honey is what the throats of smokers crave.
You can also use honey wraps to help ease coughing and remove excess mucus from the chest.
Cigarette smoking causes 90% of all lung cancers and is thought to do so primarily by inducing DNA mutation.
Chronic inflammation of the lung tissue exposed to cigarette smoke also contributes to the development of the disease.
A recent study concluded that curcumin, the active compound in turmeric, suppresses the progression of K-ras-induced lung cancer in mice by inhibiting intrinsic and extrinsic inflammation and by direct anti-tumoral effects.
These findings suggested that curcumin could be used to prevent lung cancer in high-risk COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) patients (10).
Researcher have also found that the spice can suppress tumor initiation, promotion and metastasis (11), suggesting that it may be therapeutic for cancer patients as well.
- Ex-Pharma Sales Rep Reveals Shady Practices of Pharmaceutical Drug Companies
Many people rely on medications supplied by pharmaceutical companies to manage pain, mental health conditions, and even to survive. But …
- Could a Lack of Vitamin D Damage Your Brain?
With many people focused on the risk of developing skin cancer, according to data from the CDC, almost a quarter …
- Doctors Have No Explanation: Mix Cinnamon And Honey For Arthritis, Cancer, Gallbladder, Cholesterol And 10 Other Diseases
Honey cinnamon may sound like a donut flavor, but it has much more potential than just satisfying your sweet tooth. …
- 6 Natural Alternatives to Over-The-Counter Painkillers (Ibuprofen)
When it comes to pain and over-the-counter painkillers, Ibuprofen often seems to be the GP’s go-to drug of choice; however …
- 10 Surprising Reasons Why You Should Stop Throwing Away Your Banana Peels!
Banana peel aren’t exactly what you want hanging around your home too long, but they actually have multiple practical uses. …
- Flu vs. Cold, and Why You Need to Know the Difference
Flu season is well underway, and if you haven’t contracted the flu yet this year, you should consider yourself lucky! …
- Researchers Discover That 85% of Tampons Are Contaminated With Cancer-Causing Herbicide
Your feminine hygiene products may be poisoning you (1). According to a study done by the University of La Plata, …
- Carbs at Night – Natural Fat Loss Killer or Myth?
There are many things that fitness experts and nutritionists think they know for sure. You hear them everywhere. You have …
- This Is What Your Tongue Reveals About Your Body…
Say ahh! Opening up your mouth to take a look at your tongue can help you to learn a lot …
- Burn Belly Fat Fast with This 6 Minute Exercise Circuit
When we think of our “core”, we may think only of our abdominal and pelvic muscles. Physiologically speaking, the core …
- Garlic Soup Made With 52 Cloves of Garlic Can Defeat Colds, Flu And Even Norovirus
It’s difficult and nearly impossible to go through winter without catching a cold. Most people rely on Tylenol or cough medicine to …
- Powerful Alternative to Aspirin Grows On Trees and Has 40-Years of Research to Back It Up
Aspirin’s long held promises are increasingly falling flat. A natural, safer and more effective alternative to this synthetic drug has …
- WARNING : This Household Plant Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 Minutes!
Houseplants not only make your home lovely and lush but they also improve the air quality around you. However, most plant …
- Root Canals And Breast Cancer: The Hidden Link No One Told You About
Going to the dentist can be pretty stressful for some people, especially if they don’t practice proper oral hygiene. But …
- How To Grow Organic Wheatgrass At Home (The Most Alkalizing Food You Should Be Eating Every Day!)
Wheatgrass is the latest trend in healthy eating that has people scratching their heads. Wheatgrass isn’t the same kind of …