Headaches are caused by tension or constriction of muscles of the head and neck—hence the term “tension headaches”. There is no one definitive cause of migraines. There are, however, known triggers that singly or together will cause a migraine in someone predisposed to them.
How to Cure a Migraine
Many people turn to pharmaceuticals for migraine relief.
- Over the counter pain relievers like acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and aspirin may help mild or moderate migraines. However, long-term use of these can cause ulcers, gastrointestinal bleeding, and (ironically) medication overuse headaches. (4)
- Triptans are very commonly used for migraine treatment. The way they work is by constricting blood vessels to block the brain’s pain pathways.
- Ergots are prescribed for infrequent migraine of long duration. Ergotamine comes from a type of fungus and constricts muscles and blood vessels. It is known to be toxic at high levels and comes with a list of potentially dangerous side effects. (5)
- Opioids are narcotics and addictive. In fact, prominent members of the North American medical community have conceded that there is an epidemic of opioid overuse, misuse, addiction, and death. They’ll get rid of a headache though.
- Glucocorticoids like prednisone are synthetic corticosteroids that mimic adrenal hormones to quickly reduce inflammation and depress immune system response. They are very commonly prescribed for a host of inflammatory conditions. The well-known risks of this type of drug are:
“…clinically significant and sometimes severe psychological, cognitive, and behavioral disturbances that may be associated with glucocorticoid use…The majority of patients experience less severe but distressing and possibly persistent changes in mood, cognition, memory, or behavior during glucocorticoid treatment or withdrawal,” according to a 2014 study published in the American Journal of Psychiatry. (6)
Hence, it’s much preferable to go straight for some all-natural migraine remedies instead of the popular drugs above.
20 At-Home Migraine Remedies
The challenge of migraines is two-fold: learning how to get rid of headaches when they occur (and having a bunch of go-to migraine cures) and what triggers them for you. While you figure it out, rely on these tried and true migraine remedies to stop the pain and get you back on track!
1. Himalayan Salt and Lemon
This drink will rehydrate you, stop your migraine and alkalinize your body. Traditionally, it only contains two ingredients: salt and water, but the added lemon in this recipe makes it even more effective!
- ½ tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 glass of water
All you have to do is stir your lemon juice and salt in the water and drink your pain-relieving remedy.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
If your migraine is caused by dehydration, apple cider vinegar works quickly to restore minerals and pH balance.
- Add one tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Mix in one tablespoon of honey.
- Drink this daily to prevent as well as treat migraines.