Every picture in every magazine seems to show people with beautifully aligned, white teeth.
While Photoshop likely has a hand in this, there exist many options to whiten your teeth.
For instance, you can opt for a professional whitening through your dentist, but this can be quite costly.
There are also numerous whitening kits that are available at your local pharmacy or grocery store. While many of these will lighten your teeth to some degree, many people experience painful side effects because of the corrosive peroxide and other chemicals used to bleach your teeth.
Fortunately, there is a quick, painless and all-natural alternative that is probably already in your kitchen cupboard right now.
That’s right, a simple mixture of coconut oil and baking soda will become your new best friend. And it can take as little as 2 minutes for you to finally have that “million dollar smile.”
What Causes Your Teeth to Turn Yellow?
- Tobacco: This should come as no shock but smoking or chewing tobacco can stain your teeth.
- Poor dental hygiene: Failing to regularly brush, floss, and rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash to help remove plaque and stain-producing substances like coffee and tobacco can cause tooth discoloration.
- Certain Foods/drinks:While some of these foods and drinks may be your favorites, they can damage your tooth enamel (the hard surface of your teeth). Things like coffee, tea, cola, red wine, citrus fruits and some vegetables such as apples and potatoes, can all stain your
- Dental materials: Some dental materials, like amalgam restorations, especially silver sulfide-containing one, can actually cause your teeth to look a gray-black color.
- Disease: While no one expects to become sick, some diseases can affect the enamel and dentin (the underlying material under enamel) on your teeth and cause discoloration. Even the treatments for some medical issues can change tooth color. Radiation and chemotherapy on your head and neck for example, can not only cause tooth discoloration, but in some cases, can even kill the roots of your teeth. (1) As well, pregnancy increases hormones, which can affect your body’s response to plaque (the layer of germs on your teeth). This can lead to dental problems in some women, including gum disease and even tooth decay. (2)
- Medications: Antibiotics such as tetracycline and doxycycline have been shown to discolor teeth when given to children under 8, whose teeth are still developing. (3) Surprisingly, mouth washes containing chlorhexidine and cetylpyridinium chloride have also been shown in studies to discolor teeth.(4) Antihistamines like Benadryl, antipsychotic drugs, and medication for high blood pressure have also been shown to stain your teeth. (5,6)
- Aging: Simply aging can cause your teeth to discolor. Years of wear and tear can erode the outer layer of enamel on your teeth, revealing the naturally yellow dentin. (7)
- Genetics: Beautiful white teeth it seems can also be the luck of the draw. Some people just naturally have brighter or thicker enamel than others. (8)
- Environment: Ironically, too much fluoride from environmental sources (in water) or from fluoride applications, mouth washes, toothpaste, and even oral fluoride supplements, can also discolor your teeth. (9)
- Accidents/Trauma: Childhood accidents such as falls can disrupt enamel still developing in teeth. In adults, certain trauma can also cause discoloration. (10)
Why Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil is a highly effective healing agent for numerous health issues ranging from regulating hormones, improving digestion and blood sugar levels to burning fat, improving Alzheimer’s disease and even preventing cancer.
In fact, there are at least 1,500 studies supporting the health benefits of coconut oil. When it comes to dental hygiene coconut oil offers biocidal properties against bacteria responsible for tooth decay.
Studies found that coconut oil is highly effective against the growth of most strains of Streptococcus bacteria, including Streptococcus mutans, which is an acid-producing bacterium and is a major cause of tooth decay. (11)
Coconut oil is also the perfect alternative to conventional toothpastes that contain triclosan, an antibacterial chemical linked to the issue of antibiotic resistance and endocrine disruption, which is further linked to breast, ovarian, prostate, and testicular cancer, as well as preterm and low birth weight babies, early puberty in girls, and undescended testicles in boys. (13) Other studies show that triclosan can cause bone malformations, also linked to hormonal effects.
About 95 percent of traditional toothpastes contain fluoride, which is actually a toxic industrial waste product shown to be poisonous in even trace amounts. Today, there are over 23,000 reports a year from fluoride poisoning from toothpaste, resulting in hundreds of emergency room treatments. (14)
Why Baking Soda?
The myth that baking soda is too abrasive to use for cleaning teeth is untrue. The truth is baking soda is one of the least abrasive things you can use.
Baking soda boosts the pH of your saliva-hurting, cavity-causing bacteria and activating the good bacteria that can take their place. It also does an excellent job of removing stains for whiter and brighter teeth.
How to Whiten Your Teeth
The best thing about using coconut oil to brush and whiten your teeth is that it works quickly. In fact, coconut oil can help you whiten your teeth in just 2 minutes! And who doesn’t have 2 minutes to spare?
To make this natural whitening paste, you need only 2 ingredients:
- 8 tsp baking soda
- 8 tsp extra virgin, cold pressed coconut oil
Simply mix both together (as you mix the coconut oil it will soften to allow a smooth mix). Put some on your toothbrush and brush your teeth slowly for about 2 minutes. Rinse and smile! You can even use this mixture as your regular toothpaste if you are looking for a natural alternative. You can add just a drop of peppermint oil to give it a fresh minty taste.
- Children Under The Age of 12 Should Avoid Handheld Devices…Here’s What They Do To Their Brains!
Technology is so ever present in our everyday lives that it’s beginning to make its way into the lives of …
- This Fatty Liver Cleanse Will Reset Your Metabolism And Jumpstart Your Fat Loss
Your liver plays about 500 different functions, including neutralizing toxins, fighting infections and manufacturing proteins and hormones (1). It even …
- This Trick Instantly Reduces Puffiness, Relieves Bloating And Detoxifies Your Lymphatic System
Want to get rid of puffiness, bloating and swelling in one go? Then you need to try this! This low …
- How To Make A Slimming Herbal Tea
This herbal tea will slim the waistline, stabilize mood, improve sleep, increase libido, decrease water retention and create a more …
- Fungus Found Inside Humans Identified For The First Time As Key Contributor In Crohn’s Disease
Crohn’s disease is one of the most common forms of inflammatory bowel disorders. While there are known triggers that cause …
- 4 Real Risk Factors For Heart Disease You Shouldn’t Ignore
The world is full of information. It’s also full of misinformation. Sometimes it’s hard to know which is which, especially …
- 6 Heart-Healthy Foods That Will Help Keep Your Arteries Clean
There are many risk factors at play when it comes to the development of cardiovascular disease – and our understanding …
- These 5 Habits Are Harming Your Immune System And Ruining Your Health
From everyday airborne allergens to countertop bacteria, your immune system is a complex network that is constantly battling to keep …
- Say Goodbye to Trans Fats
The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has recently announced the decision to ban trans fats. This ingredient which was once …
- Press These Points On Your Baby’s Feet To Soothe Their Pain For Better Sleep
There isn’t anything quite as heartbreaking as a parent than hearing your baby cry and not knowing what’s wrong. Some …
- How Your Smartphone Light Affects Your Brain And Body (Infographic)
Your smartphone screen produces a blue light to make it easy to use in bright and dark environments. However, at …
- Vitamin B17 May Treat Cancer But Is Illegal In The U.S.!
Ever hear of vitamin B17? Probably not. It’s found in nuts, berries, leafy greens, sprouts, tubers, and in abundance in …
- 15 Ingredients To Supercharge Your Smoothies To FIGHT Cancer And Inflammation
You’ve probably already heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. This is because it kick starts …
- Get Rid of Bad Breath, Plaque, Tartar, and Harmful Bacteria In Your Mouth With This ONE Ingredient!
We all know how important dental health is—not just for the brightness of our smiles but for our general well-being. …
- 5 Essential Lifestyle Habits for a Healthy Heart
Your heart supplies blood to all of your organs, without it functioning properly, you’re going to be in trouble! Check …