Every picture in every magazine seems to show people with beautifully aligned, white teeth.
While Photoshop likely has a hand in this, there exist many options to whiten your teeth.
For instance, you can opt for a professional whitening through your dentist, but this can be quite costly.
There are also numerous whitening kits that are available at your local pharmacy or grocery store. While many of these will lighten your teeth to some degree, many people experience painful side effects because of the corrosive peroxide and other chemicals used to bleach your teeth.
Fortunately, there is a quick, painless and all-natural alternative that is probably already in your kitchen cupboard right now.
That’s right, a simple mixture of coconut oil and baking soda will become your new best friend. And it can take as little as 2 minutes for you to finally have that “million dollar smile.”
What Causes Your Teeth to Turn Yellow?
- Tobacco: This should come as no shock but smoking or chewing tobacco can stain your teeth.
- Poor dental hygiene: Failing to regularly brush, floss, and rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash to help remove plaque and stain-producing substances like coffee and tobacco can cause tooth discoloration.
- Certain Foods/drinks:While some of these foods and drinks may be your favorites, they can damage your tooth enamel (the hard surface of your teeth). Things like coffee, tea, cola, red wine, citrus fruits and some vegetables such as apples and potatoes, can all stain your
- Dental materials: Some dental materials, like amalgam restorations, especially silver sulfide-containing one, can actually cause your teeth to look a gray-black color.
- Disease: While no one expects to become sick, some diseases can affect the enamel and dentin (the underlying material under enamel) on your teeth and cause discoloration. Even the treatments for some medical issues can change tooth color. Radiation and chemotherapy on your head and neck for example, can not only cause tooth discoloration, but in some cases, can even kill the roots of your teeth. (1) As well, pregnancy increases hormones, which can affect your body’s response to plaque (the layer of germs on your teeth). This can lead to dental problems in some women, including gum disease and even tooth decay. (2)
- Medications: Antibiotics such as tetracycline and doxycycline have been shown to discolor teeth when given to children under 8, whose teeth are still developing. (3) Surprisingly, mouth washes containing chlorhexidine and cetylpyridinium chloride have also been shown in studies to discolor teeth.(4) Antihistamines like Benadryl, antipsychotic drugs, and medication for high blood pressure have also been shown to stain your teeth. (5,6)
- Aging: Simply aging can cause your teeth to discolor. Years of wear and tear can erode the outer layer of enamel on your teeth, revealing the naturally yellow dentin. (7)
- Genetics: Beautiful white teeth it seems can also be the luck of the draw. Some people just naturally have brighter or thicker enamel than others. (8)
- Environment: Ironically, too much fluoride from environmental sources (in water) or from fluoride applications, mouth washes, toothpaste, and even oral fluoride supplements, can also discolor your teeth. (9)
- Accidents/Trauma: Childhood accidents such as falls can disrupt enamel still developing in teeth. In adults, certain trauma can also cause discoloration. (10)
Why Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil is a highly effective healing agent for numerous health issues ranging from regulating hormones, improving digestion and blood sugar levels to burning fat, improving Alzheimer’s disease and even preventing cancer.
In fact, there are at least 1,500 studies supporting the health benefits of coconut oil. When it comes to dental hygiene coconut oil offers biocidal properties against bacteria responsible for tooth decay.
Studies found that coconut oil is highly effective against the growth of most strains of Streptococcus bacteria, including Streptococcus mutans, which is an acid-producing bacterium and is a major cause of tooth decay. (11)
Coconut oil is also the perfect alternative to conventional toothpastes that contain triclosan, an antibacterial chemical linked to the issue of antibiotic resistance and endocrine disruption, which is further linked to breast, ovarian, prostate, and testicular cancer, as well as preterm and low birth weight babies, early puberty in girls, and undescended testicles in boys. (13) Other studies show that triclosan can cause bone malformations, also linked to hormonal effects.
About 95 percent of traditional toothpastes contain fluoride, which is actually a toxic industrial waste product shown to be poisonous in even trace amounts. Today, there are over 23,000 reports a year from fluoride poisoning from toothpaste, resulting in hundreds of emergency room treatments. (14)
Why Baking Soda?
The myth that baking soda is too abrasive to use for cleaning teeth is untrue. The truth is baking soda is one of the least abrasive things you can use.
Baking soda boosts the pH of your saliva-hurting, cavity-causing bacteria and activating the good bacteria that can take their place. It also does an excellent job of removing stains for whiter and brighter teeth.
How to Whiten Your Teeth
The best thing about using coconut oil to brush and whiten your teeth is that it works quickly. In fact, coconut oil can help you whiten your teeth in just 2 minutes! And who doesn’t have 2 minutes to spare?
To make this natural whitening paste, you need only 2 ingredients:
- 8 tsp baking soda
- 8 tsp extra virgin, cold pressed coconut oil
Simply mix both together (as you mix the coconut oil it will soften to allow a smooth mix). Put some on your toothbrush and brush your teeth slowly for about 2 minutes. Rinse and smile! You can even use this mixture as your regular toothpaste if you are looking for a natural alternative. You can add just a drop of peppermint oil to give it a fresh minty taste.
- The Heart-Head Connection: Heart Disease and…Ears?
Whatever the size, shape, thickness, or color, most people have smooth earlobes. But have you ever met someone that has …
- How to Make Your Own Natural Sunscreen Using Coconut Oil
Store bought sunscreens can have some harmful side effects and many people today are choosing to go a healthier, more …
- Do This at Least Once a Week and Your Face Will Look 10 Years Younger!
The 2nd worst thing about aging is that your body slowly begins to get slower than your mind. The worst …
- How To Use The R-I-C-E Method To Quickly Get Rid of Swollen Ankles, Legs And Feet
After a long day up on your feet or a long flight, you may notice that your ankles, legs and …
- Add These Three Ingredients To Your Shampoo And Say Goodbye To Hair Loss Forever
We usual associate hair loss with men, but it can actually be a really big problem for women. In fact, …
- This French Beekeeper Trained His Bees To Make Honey From Cannabis
Honey and cannabis are some of the most healing natural substances known to man. While one is available nearly all …
- Warning! Toxic Chinese Rice Loaded With Plastic Is Flooding Grocery Store Shelves
Rice companies in China have been exposed for exporting plastic rice. This phenomenon began because of the ever-increasing demand for Wuchang rice, …
- This Simple Sitting Test May Help Predict How Long You’ll Live
Claudio Gil Araujo and his associates formulated a very simple sitting test to predict how much longer adults aged 51-80 …
- 15 Ways to Fill Your Home With Positive Energy And High Vibrations
You have probably heard of the term chi (Qi). It is essentially the energy that gives life. This energy flows …
- Nation’s First Soda Tax Passes In Berkeley, California
Big Soda took a loss on Election Day when voters in Berkeley, California approved a ballot measure that will place …
- Important Facts You Should Know Before You Start Cracking Your Knuckles (Or Neck)
In an interview, chiropractor Dr. JaDean Anderson recommended that if you routinely crack your knuckles (neck, foot, elbow, etc.) that …
- How To Grow Tangerines At Home – It’s Easier Than You Think!
Tangerines are like little balls of sunshine that brighten up your fruit bowl. But tangerines are often GMO and travel …
- Drink Lime Juice To Help You Quit Smoking (Plus 6 Other Natural Methods)
Everyone knows that smoking is bad for you – the days when the addictive habit seemed “cool” or alluring are …
- Your Crock-Pot Is Leaking Lead Into Your Food! (Here’s An Inexpensive Way To Test It)
A slow cooker can be a treasure trove for cooks. Fill it in the morning and you come home to …
- Take 1 Tbsp Of Apple Cider Vinegar For 60 Days To Eliminate Acid Reflux And Candida
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a popular superfood with amazing health benefits. Those of you who drink this everyday know firsthand how helpful …