Diatomaceous Earth is quickly gaining popularity for its numerous health benefits.
Unlike its name will lead you to believe, diatomaceous earth isn’t dirt. Instead, it is actually fossilized algae skeletons that have been ground into a powder. This is why it has such a high silica content (1).
One of the most raved about benefits of Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is its incredible ability to detoxify the body. Plus, it can also be used as an organic pesticide to protect pets, livestock, and even your garden (2).
Diatomaceous Earth Detox
DE is a powerful tool in any holistic healing kit. The potent powder holds the power to fight the parasites responsible for abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting, gas, stomach pain and fatigue (3).
DE kills these parasites by dehydrating them and damaging their membranes.
DE is also known for removing heavy metals such as mercury, cadmium, and lead from the bloodstream. These metals are known to cause central nervous system dysfunction, anemia, and heart problems over time if left untreated (4).
According to the North shore Naturopathic Clinic, it works thanks to the negative charge of the diatoms in DE that attract and absorb the unwanted foreigners inside the body. This process is called chelation.
The metals and other foreign bodies are then eliminated via sweat, skin, urine, feces and even through exhaled air (5).
In addition to these benefits, DE is capable of cleansing the colon of mucus, fungi, bacteria, and viruses within just a few months of regular use, warding off polyps, cancers, and ulcers. It’s also believed to eliminate environmental toxins, pesticides and prescription drug residue.
Lastly, DE contains nutrients such as silica, calcium, sodium, magnesium, iron, and other trace minerals that feed the heart and lower cholesterol (6).
Other benefits include:
- Improves nutrient absorption
- Maintains skin elasticity
- Boosts nail and hair growth
- Repairs sore joints and ligaments
- Lessens menopausal symptoms
- Improves oral health
- Cleanses the urinary tract
- Lowers blood pressure
How To Use Diatomaceous Earth
Food-grade DE can be purchased online or in most natural health food stores. It’s important to always purchase DE from a reputable company and make sure it contains 85% silica.
Taking DE orally is simple: just add a teaspoon to eight ounces of water, stir, and drink on an empty stomach before your meal. Start by taking it once a day and consult a naturopath before increasing your dose.
DE can cause constipation, so it is best to continuously drink water throughout the day during the treatment.
You may find yourself experiencing some uncomfortable flu-like symptoms in the first few days. This is a normal reaction to the detoxification process since parasites and other pathogens release toxins after dying.
By staying hydrated and keeping a healthy diet, these symptoms should gradually decrease until they no longer occur.
There many other ways you can use DE around the house. However, it’s important to avoid inhaling the substance and avoid contact with the skin and eyes.
Add a bit of DE to bulk bags of rice, legumes, and other dry goods to keep pests out of your pantry.
Sprinkle a small amount of DE on your pet’s fur if you suspect that they’ve been exposed to fleas. Just be sure to cover their face with a towel, prevent them from licking it off and rinse their coat thoroughly after the treatment.
DE can also be added to pet food (even chicken feed) to kill parasites (7). However, it’s best to consult a holistic veterinarian before use.
3. Yard and Garden
DE is a strong gardening tool, thanks to its functionality as an organic pesticide (8):
- Add DE to windowsills and doors to deter spiders and ants from entering the house.
- Sprinkle in a bit of DE on your lawn to kill fleas, ticks, and other pests.
- Use DE on ant hills to destroy colonies.
- Add to garbage bags to reduce odor and keep flies away.
Tip: DE will also kill beneficial insects like butterflies, ladybugs and worms, so use it very sparingly in your garden.
4. Indoor Use
DE can be used indoors to protect furniture, rugs, and cabinets from insects. Simply add DE to a plastic squeeze bottle with a pointed tip and apply. Leave the home with your pets (so that they don’t inhale the dust) for a few hours and vacuum up the earth when you return (9).
- Take a Castor Oil Detox Bath for Pain Relief and Organ Health
Many people over the age of 60 can remember their mothers compelling them to drink a spoonful of castor oil …
- Swiss Medical Board STOPS Breast Cancer Screening For This Shocking Reason!
Up until very recently, mammograms have been recommended by doctors for every woman over the age of 50 in the …
- For All Smokers: How to Make a Detox Elixir To Cleanse Your Lungs
Everyone knows that smoking is terrible for your health, yet many people still indulge in this bad habit. If you’re …
- This Is What Sleeping On Your Left Side Can Do For Your Brain, Stomach And Lymphatic System
The way you sleep affects your health much more than you may think. Sleep give our bodies a chance to …
- Most Store-Bought Honey Is FAKE And Causes Inflammation! (5 Ways To Test The Purity of Your Honey)
Nobody likes to be deceived. Especially not when it comes to their health. Unfortunately, the reality is that millions of people are unknowingly …
- 5 Natural Ways To Wipeout Underarm Odor For Good
Sweating is a natural process that’s actually odourless. So why do so many people suffer from body odour? Humans have …
- Here’s Why You’re SO Addicted To Sugar…It’s NOT Entirely Your Fault!
Sugar addiction is real. Once we get a taste for it, we crave it and can’t seem to get …
- How To Make Detox Foot Pads At Home To Cleanse Your Body Of Toxins
Foot pads have been used and sold in Japan for hundreds of years. Similar to acupuncture, which has a positive effect on people’s energetic systems, …
- Chart Comparing Global Drug Prices Exposes How US Govt Creates Mega Profits For Big Pharma
It’s no secret that pharmaceutical drugs in the United States are incredibly expensive when compared to costs in other developed …
- These 5 Weird Things Happen To Your Body When You’re Not Getting Enough Iron
Have you been feeling unusually run down and tired lately? Are you easily distracted and struggling to find the energy …
- This 30-Minute Yoga Session Before Bed Is Going To Help You Relax And Improve Your Sleep
Having trouble sleeping? You’re not alone. More than 40% of Americans report getting less than the recommended amount of sleep.(1) And as …
- 5 Hidden Ways Intravenous Curcumin Combats Cancer Growth
Curcumin is the active phytochemical in turmeric that has been found effective in preventing and treating a variety of maladies, …
- Your Crock-Pot Is Leaking Lead Into Your Food! (Here’s An Inexpensive Way To Test It)
A slow cooker can be a treasure trove for cooks. Fill it in the morning and you come home to …
- Could a Tax on Fizzy Drinks & Junk Foods Be Good For Our Health?
Doctors in the UK have announced they feel increasing tax on junk foods and fizzy drinks will help sway people …
- 10 Exercises That Burn More Fat Than Running
Running is a great cardiovascular exercise to burn fat. Depending on your fitness levels, running can be an excellent way …