Enjoyed on beaches, campgrounds, and porches worldwide, there’s nothing quite as satisfying as a cool slice on a hot day. Plus, it’s a great source of vitamin C and A and contains very few calories (1).
The fruit even contains cancer-fighting L-citrulline, heart-protecting lycopene, and hydrating electrolytes.
Other benefits include:
- Stabilizes blood pressure
- Promotes muscle recovery after exercise
- Fights free radicals
- Fights inflammation
- Prevents macular diseases
- Protects against diabetes
How to Pick The Best Watermelon (Starts at 1:35)
Like any other fruit, watermelon has a peak time for flavor and texture. It’s not always easy to tell if your fruit is ready to eat. Here are a few things to keep in mind at the grocery store to get the best bang for your buck.
Weight: A ripe watermelon is quite heavy, so get your arms ready! A ripe watermelon should be heavy for its size.
Color: Watermelons should be a bright green color. However, there should also be a yellow spot on the watermelon. This discoloration is an indication of how long it’s been on the vine sweetening up before being harvested. If it is white (or not even there), put it back, because this indicates an underripe melon. Usually, the darker the color of the creamy spot, the better.
Avoid Stems: If your watermelon has a stem, it was likely picked before it had a chance to fully ripen.
Blemishes: Stay away from bruises, cuts, and other signs of trauma to ensure the freshness of your fruit. Cuts are especially bad, as they can lead to dirt and insects getting in the fruit.
You should also pay attention to its shape: watermelons should be oval, uniform in color and shape. If your watermelon has a large flat and yellow
If this article’s given you cravings, give this fun summer recipe a try.
For a deliciously fruity twist to the classic dip, replace tomato with watermelon, which gives it perfectly sweet touch.
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- Zest, and juice of one lime
- 1/2 cup fresh mint
- 1 cup red onion
- 4 cups seedless watermelon
- Prepare your watermelon and cut it into small cubes. For a smoother salsa, pulse it quickly in a blender.
- Finely chop the onion, jalapeno, and herbs.
- Add to the watermelon and sprinkle with freshly squeezed lime and zest.
- Serve and enjoy!
- New ‘Foolproof’ Test to Detect ADHD Fails To Live Up to Its Claim and Here’s Why.
Eight to ten percent of school-age children are currently diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). It is a behavioral …
- Hand-Foot-And-Mouth Disease Is Sweeping Across Parts Of The US: Experts Beg Parents To Know These Signs
If you have kids, you probably know about Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD). While it sounds like a peculiar …
- 7 Surprising Benefits You Get From Listening to More Music
Music is a universal language that doesn’t need to be translated to be understood by people from around the world. …
- The 4 Worst Weight Loss Advice You Should Ignore
Weight loss is a tricky subject to discuss. There are plenty of tips and tricks out there that are supposedly …
- How to Spot Fake Olive Oil From a Mile Away!
We’ve known for years the benefits of the Mediterranean diet: cardiovascular health and regulation of blood sugar and cholesterol. A …
- Cannabis Proves Effective In Treating Crohn’s Disease by Reducing Pain, Inflammation and Diarrhea
A new clinical study published in the journal Pharmacology and by the National Institute of Health has found that cannabis …
- Get Rid of Bad Breath, Plaque, Tartar, and Harmful Bacteria In Your Mouth With This ONE Ingredient!
We all know how important dental health is—not just for the brightness of our smiles but for our general well-being. …
- Everything You Need to Know About Adrenal Fatigue
Your health is on a continuum. On one end you have optimal health, and on the other, you have chronic …
- 8 Beers That You Should Stop Drinking Immediately
Everything in moderation. Take beer, for example. A cold brew on a hot day can be refreshing and a nice …
- 10 Things That Will Happen To You If You Stop Wearing Makeup
Makeup is a great way to enhance your natural beauty and to improve self-confidence. It’s also a great way to …
- Doctor Cures Her “Incurable” Multiple Sclerosis With Diet Alone.
For four years, secondary progressive multiple sclerosis confined Dr. Terry Wahls to a tilt-recline wheelchair. But by using Functional Medicine …
- The Health Dangers of Sleep Deprivation
Do you know how much sleep you need? Recently, BBC News covered a story on an athlete who was killed …
- California Senate Passes Bill To Stop Pharmaceutical Companies From Giving Gifts To Doctors
Pharmaceutical companies spend billions of dollars marketing drugs to doctors. But one state in particular takes the cake, California. That’s …
- 10+ Signs You Have a Toxic Tooth Infection and How to Treat it Without Going to the Dentist
There are three types of dental abscess: Ginginval – infection of gum tissue Periodontal – infection in supporting bone tissue …
- The Relationship Between Blood Sugar Levels And Stress Is More Serious Than You Think
The relationship between insulin and stress-related hormones is complex, but it’s important to understand it, especially for those living with …