Enjoyed on beaches, campgrounds, and porches worldwide, there’s nothing quite as satisfying as a cool slice on a hot day. Plus, it’s a great source of vitamin C and A and contains very few calories (1).
The fruit even contains cancer-fighting L-citrulline, heart-protecting lycopene, and hydrating electrolytes.
Other benefits include:
- Stabilizes blood pressure
- Promotes muscle recovery after exercise
- Fights free radicals
- Fights inflammation
- Prevents macular diseases
- Protects against diabetes
How to Pick The Best Watermelon (Starts at 1:35)
Like any other fruit, watermelon has a peak time for flavor and texture. It’s not always easy to tell if your fruit is ready to eat. Here are a few things to keep in mind at the grocery store to get the best bang for your buck.
Weight: A ripe watermelon is quite heavy, so get your arms ready! A ripe watermelon should be heavy for its size.
Color: Watermelons should be a bright green color. However, there should also be a yellow spot on the watermelon. This discoloration is an indication of how long it’s been on the vine sweetening up before being harvested. If it is white (or not even there), put it back, because this indicates an underripe melon. Usually, the darker the color of the creamy spot, the better.
Avoid Stems: If your watermelon has a stem, it was likely picked before it had a chance to fully ripen.
Blemishes: Stay away from bruises, cuts, and other signs of trauma to ensure the freshness of your fruit. Cuts are especially bad, as they can lead to dirt and insects getting in the fruit.
You should also pay attention to its shape: watermelons should be oval, uniform in color and shape. If your watermelon has a large flat and yellow
If this article’s given you cravings, give this fun summer recipe a try.
For a deliciously fruity twist to the classic dip, replace tomato with watermelon, which gives it perfectly sweet touch.
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- Zest, and juice of one lime
- 1/2 cup fresh mint
- 1 cup red onion
- 4 cups seedless watermelon
- Prepare your watermelon and cut it into small cubes. For a smoother salsa, pulse it quickly in a blender.
- Finely chop the onion, jalapeno, and herbs.
- Add to the watermelon and sprinkle with freshly squeezed lime and zest.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Avoid Fleas and Ticks Forever With This Natural Remedy!
Every pet owner knows how annoying fleas can be. These minuscule insects can multiply in days and easily infest your …
- 9 Exercises To Burn Abdominal Fat
What are the best exercises to burn belly fat? A common question in the world of fitness. Belly fat is …
- 9 Signs You’re Overstressed (And Don’t Know It)
Countless studies show that stress is at actually at the root of most disease. In fact, 77 percent of us …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- 9 Pesticide-filled Teas You Should Never Buy (and the Kind You Should!)
Tea is one of the most popular drinks enjoyed around the world. Americans drink up to 80 billion cups of …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …