Enjoyed on beaches, campgrounds, and porches worldwide, there’s nothing quite as satisfying as a cool slice on a hot day. Plus, it’s a great source of vitamin C and A and contains very few calories (1).
The fruit even contains cancer-fighting L-citrulline, heart-protecting lycopene, and hydrating electrolytes.
Other benefits include:
- Stabilizes blood pressure
- Promotes muscle recovery after exercise
- Fights free radicals
- Fights inflammation
- Prevents macular diseases
- Protects against diabetes
How to Pick The Best Watermelon (Starts at 1:35)
Like any other fruit, watermelon has a peak time for flavor and texture. It’s not always easy to tell if your fruit is ready to eat. Here are a few things to keep in mind at the grocery store to get the best bang for your buck.
Weight: A ripe watermelon is quite heavy, so get your arms ready! A ripe watermelon should be heavy for its size.
Color: Watermelons should be a bright green color. However, there should also be a yellow spot on the watermelon. This discoloration is an indication of how long it’s been on the vine sweetening up before being harvested. If it is white (or not even there), put it back, because this indicates an underripe melon. Usually, the darker the color of the creamy spot, the better.
Avoid Stems: If your watermelon has a stem, it was likely picked before it had a chance to fully ripen.
Blemishes: Stay away from bruises, cuts, and other signs of trauma to ensure the freshness of your fruit. Cuts are especially bad, as they can lead to dirt and insects getting in the fruit.
You should also pay attention to its shape: watermelons should be oval, uniform in color and shape. If your watermelon has a large flat and yellow
If this article’s given you cravings, give this fun summer recipe a try.
For a deliciously fruity twist to the classic dip, replace tomato with watermelon, which gives it perfectly sweet touch.
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- Zest, and juice of one lime
- 1/2 cup fresh mint
- 1 cup red onion
- 4 cups seedless watermelon
- Prepare your watermelon and cut it into small cubes. For a smoother salsa, pulse it quickly in a blender.
- Finely chop the onion, jalapeno, and herbs.
- Add to the watermelon and sprinkle with freshly squeezed lime and zest.
- Serve and enjoy!
- The Link Between Headaches, Colon Toxins and Gut Imbalances Nobody Talks About
Like any pain or discomfort in the body, a headache is an indication of an underlying problem. And the only way to …
- FDA Approves Robotic Exoskeleton For Paralyzed Users
This isn’t the first time science fact has caught up with science fiction. And in this case, the technology provides …
- Aluminum in Deodorants Can Cause Breast Cancer. Use Lime to Eliminate Body Odor
Sweating is never fun, unless you’re in a sauna. Sweating allows your body to get rid of toxins and prevent overheating. …
- Turn a Small Space Into a Big Harvest With These Awesome Vertical Gardens
Whether you want to grow veggies, herbs or flowers, gardening can be very rewarding. However sometimes your love for plants …
- Heavy Metal Exposure During Pregnancy May Contribute to Autism, NIH Finds
Heavy metal exposure during pregnancy may contribute to autism, according to a study recently completed and published by the National Institute …
- How to Grow an UNLIMITED Supply of Basil From a Single Plant
Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to have fresh herbs and produce whenever you want? Gardening typically requires planting …
- The Alarming Epidemic That’s Sweeping The Nation
You’d better sit down for this. If you live in the United States and think about the adults you know, …
- 87 Low-Carb Vegetables That Will Make Weight Loss Easy
Eating your vegetables seems to be a pretty straightforward way of improving your health and losing weight. Processed foods have …
- 11 Unusual Breast Changes That Could Mean Danger
Approximately one in eight women in the United States will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. Eighty-five percent of women …
- How To Use Herbalized Oils In Your Nose To Detox And Flush Out Toxins From Your Brain
Have you ever heard about “Nasya?” It’s considered one the top healing techniques used in Ayurveda. Nasya is the nasal inhalation …
- This 3-Ingredient Face Mask Uses Turmeric And Is Great For Acne, Rosacea, And Dark Circles
This face mask is made simply, with just three ingredients, and can help brighten up the complexion, as well as …
- The True History Of Chemotherapy & The Pharmaceutical Monopoly
Cancer isn’t just the disease of a generation, it’s been the disease of a century. While cancer charities have been …
- She Holds Coconut Oil In Her Mouth For 20 Minutes Every Day…The Effects Are Incredible!
Keeping your mouth healthy and teeth whiter just got a lot easier. All you have to start doing is add this …
- Top 10 Signs You May Have a Thyroid Problem And What You Can Do About It
The thyroid is a small gland located in the center of the neck. Most people don’t think that much about …
- This Powerful Anti-Drinking Ad From Finland Will Give You Goosebumps…(Don’t Watch This at Night)
This might be the most eerie anti-drinking ad you’ve ever seen. The ad comes from Finland where alcoholism rates are …