Magnesium plays a fascinating, yet sometimes overlooked, role in nutrition. It is the 11th most abundant element by mass in the human body and is considered essential to all cells of all known living organisms! Hundreds of enzymes require magnesium ions for their catalytic action.
Although human magnesium deficiency is “officially” considered uncommon (curiously), it is reported that only 32% of people in the USA have enough magnesium intake to meet the RDA. Natural magnesium in soil is becoming depleted, reportedly due to over farming and pesticide use. Pesticides, according to some, kill the microorganisms in the soil which transforms (chelate) the minerals from the rocks into bioavailable form.
Deficiency in magnesium has been linked to osteoporosis, asthma and diabetes. Magnesium also plays a role in the prevention of heart attack, stroke and many other scenarios.
If you are not aware of the use of magnesium oil (typically made with magnesium chloride), you may not know that magnesium can be absorbed through the skin. This, it is claimed, allows for its rapid absorption by cells. Swimming in the ocean will also, it is said, give you some magnesium.
Here’s a fantastic tutorial for making your own homemade magnesium oil. It’s unbelievably simple and tells you not only how to make it but how to apply it and what to expect.
What you need:
- 1/2 cup Magnesium Chloride Flakes
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- A glass bowl or glass measuring cup
- A glass spray bottle (plastic will work too)
What to do:
Boil the distilled water. It is important to use distilled to extend the shelf life of the mixture. Put the Magnesium Chloride Flakes in the glass bowl or measuring cup and the pour the bowling water over it.
Stir well until completely dissolved. Let cool completely and store in the spray bottle. Can be stored at room temperature for at least six months.
Tip: Keep in the bathroom to use daily.
Spray on arms, legs, and stomach daily (10-20 sprays/day). It will tingle on the skin the first few times it is used, and this is normal. It should fade after a few applications, but you can dilute with more water if it bothers you too much.
You can leave on the skin or wash off after 20-30 minutes. The best time to apply it would be after a shower and then use coconut oil or a lotion bar to moisturize about 5 minutes later.
Have you tried magnesium to help reduce stress, improve sleep or for another reason? Share below!
- Why Magnesium is the Most Powerful Relaxation Mineral Known to Man
It can’t be stressed enough how necessary Magnesium is for a healthy and functioning body. Absence of this important nutrient …
- Low Levels of Magnesium Associated With Impaired Glucose Tolerance and Irregular Heart Rhythms
It might surprise you to learn that there’s a very good chance you’re deficient in a significant mineral – and …
- 17 Foods That Increase Magnesium And Prevent High Blood Pressure, Blood Clots And Muscle Fatigue
The majority of us know the importance of getting enough calcium, vitamin c and protein through our diet, but we tend to forget other crucial vitamins …
- 6 Powerful Ways to Boost Your Magnesium Levels
To keep your body strong and healthy, make sure to pay attention to your intake of all essential nutrients. A …
- Running Low On Magnesium? Try These 18 Epsom Salt Beauty & Health Hacks Today!
Epsom salt, or magnesium sulfate, is a naturally-occurring crystal that’s found in a spring in Epsom, England. Contrary to its …
- 5 Best Herbs To Help Increase Your Magnesium Levels
80 perccent of Americans experience magnesium deficiency at some point in their lives, often without even being aware of it(1). …
- Major Signs You Are Magnesium Deficient (and What To Do About It!)
In today’s modern diet, most Americans don’t get much magnesium from the foods they eat. Like other vitamins and minerals, if …
- Early Warning Signs Your Body’s Magnesium Levels are Dangerously Low
According to the World Health Organization, seventy-five percent of Americans have low magnesium levels. “Is that such a big deal?”, …
- 5 Warning Signs That You Have a Magnesium Deficiency (Don’t Ignore These!)
Magnesium is an essential macromineral that performs a huge number of important roles in the body. It is responsible for …
- Magnesium Deficiencies Are Killing Us…Here’s What To Do About It
Magnesium is a mineral that’s integral to almost every metabolic function in the body. As one of the electrolyte minerals …
- Top 6 Health Benefits of Magnesium
You probably already know a lot about the other vitamins and minerals that are crucial to your overall optimal health, …
- Adequate Magnesium Intake May Help Reduce Risk of Developing Diabetes
By ensuring you are taking in enough magnesium through your diet, you could be on your way to preventing ever …
- 32 Signs That You Need More Magnesium Right Now (And How To Get It)
In 2009, the World Health Organization published a report (1) that stated that 75% of Americans consumed less magnesium than …
- Magnesium: The Missing Nutrient to Better Health
A lot of focus is given to certain vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin C and calcium, but did you …