Living in colder climates often means having to choose between being eco-friendly or being warm. Most people are not aware that there are ways of saving money by having a simple clay pot heater which is both eco-friendly and warm.
Heating costs in the winter months can easily become unmanageable without even getting your home to a comfortable temperature.
That’s what inspired European company “Egloo” to examine ancient heating techniques and create a candle powered heater.
So far, the heater has sold 4x times more than the initial funding campaign had hoped, although it’s possible to make your own candle heater (see bellow).
How It Works
The Egloo uses four candles to heat a 20-square-meter (215-square-foot) space for up to five hours. They only take about 5 minutes to get to the right temperature.
It is effective because it uses two clay domes: the first dome absorbs heat directly from the candles at about 140-180 degrees Celsius (284-356°F). Once it’s saturated, the heat then seeps into the second dome at a much more comfortable 30-50 degrees (86-122°F).
If the heat was directly dispersed into the room, it would quickly move toward the ceiling and get lost within the home. Instead, the domes warm up the surrounding space by about 2-3 degrees within 30 minutes after being lit. It’s the perfect small space heater for chilly days.
How To Make Your Own Clay Pot Heater
It only cost about 15 dollars to make and a few dollars worth of candles to maintain.
- 2 large terra cotta pots (one should able to fit inside the other comfortably)
- 2-3 candles (use 100 percent beeswax candles with cotton wicks, which are free of toxins)
- 3 bricks
- 1 5 1/2 inch hex bolt
- 2 hex nuts
- 4 washers
- 1 plate
- Place a washer on the bolt.
- Place the bolt inside the draininage hole of the larger pot, with the long end of the bolt resting inside the pot.
- Drop a washer on the bolt and secure into place using a hex nut, but not too tightly.
- Drop another washer and place the drainage hole of the smaller pot on the bolt, letting the pot gently slide until it hits the hex nut.
- Sure into place with another washer and hex bolt, tightening it with breaking the pot.
- Place the plate on the ground with the bricks in a “u-shape” around it.
- Place the bricks over the bricks.
- Light the candles and place them in the plate under the pots.
- Stay warm!
Just make sure to use the heater in a well-ventilated room away from children and pets. There shouldn’t be anything flammable lying around and it should not be a high-traffic area to avoid being tripped on.
- Use This Inexpensive DIY Hack To Keep Your Feet Warm Throughout The Winter
The cold always finds a way to your feet. Colds, cystitis, kidney problems are just few of the many problems you may face …
- Canker Sores Are The Absolute WORST…Here’s How To Get Rid of Them Fast!
Almost everyone experiences a canker sore in their lifetime. These annoying mouth ulcers make talking and eating painful and difficult, but …
- The True History Of Chemotherapy & The Pharmaceutical Monopoly
Cancer isn’t just the disease of a generation, it’s been the disease of a century. While cancer charities have been …
- 5 Natural Ways To Keep Your Gums Healthy And Disease Free
Gum disease, or periodontal disease, is common, especially in the United States – many adults have some form of gum …
- Fungus Found Inside Humans Identified For The First Time As Key Contributor In Crohn’s Disease
Crohn’s disease is one of the most common forms of inflammatory bowel disorders. While there are known triggers that cause …
- If You Get a Creeping Feeling in Your Legs at Night, This is What it Means!
“Restless Leg Syndrome” doesn’t sound very scientific, but it’s more descriptive than how it’s otherwise referred: Willis-Ekborn Disease. Restless leg …
- How To Detox Each Organ To Never Be Sick or Tired Again
We all know that the best ways to take care of your body is through diet and exercise, but are …
- 13 Ways To Use Honey in Home Remedies
The number of uses for honey is amazing. From wound salve and cough syrup to dandruff cure, honey can solve a wide …
- 4 Telltale Signs Your Body is Flooded With Toxins And How To Fix It!
Nobody likes to think of their body as a poisonous wasteland—nor endure the accompanying symptoms. Read on to discover four …
- Don’t Use Products With Titanium Dioxide…You Won’t Believe How Fast It Gets Into Your Blood!
Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the United States(1). The three most common types of skin cancer are …
- Are Your Sugary Treats Leading You Down the Road to Heart Disease
Many people who are not concerned with maintaining their weight or shedding a few excess pounds, may find that they …
- 27 Household Uses For Rubbing Alcohol You Need To Try
All-purpose cleaners are a lifesaver when it comes to saving time during your cleaning routine. But you don’t have to …
- How To Grow Your Own Pineapple At Home
Just like homemade meals always taste better than going out to the restaurant, growing your own food will always be …
- 5 Ways to Stop Headaches Without Popping a Pill
Headaches, no matter how common they may seem, should be taken seriously and addressed immediately. This debilitating condition, often described …
- 6 Surprising Things Fed to US Cows!
For the most part, cattle in America are seen not as animals or living, breathing entities, but as commodities—products to …