Living in colder climates often means having to choose between being eco-friendly or being warm. Most people are not aware that there are ways of saving money by having a simple clay pot heater which is both eco-friendly and warm.
Heating costs in the winter months can easily become unmanageable without even getting your home to a comfortable temperature.
That’s what inspired European company “Egloo” to examine ancient heating techniques and create a candle powered heater.
So far, the heater has sold 4x times more than the initial funding campaign had hoped, although it’s possible to make your own candle heater (see bellow).
How It Works
The Egloo uses four candles to heat a 20-square-meter (215-square-foot) space for up to five hours. They only take about 5 minutes to get to the right temperature.
It is effective because it uses two clay domes: the first dome absorbs heat directly from the candles at about 140-180 degrees Celsius (284-356°F). Once it’s saturated, the heat then seeps into the second dome at a much more comfortable 30-50 degrees (86-122°F).
If the heat was directly dispersed into the room, it would quickly move toward the ceiling and get lost within the home. Instead, the domes warm up the surrounding space by about 2-3 degrees within 30 minutes after being lit. It’s the perfect small space heater for chilly days.
How To Make Your Own Clay Pot Heater
It only cost about 15 dollars to make and a few dollars worth of candles to maintain.
- 2 large terra cotta pots (one should able to fit inside the other comfortably)
- 2-3 candles (use 100 percent beeswax candles with cotton wicks, which are free of toxins)
- 3 bricks
- 1 5 1/2 inch hex bolt
- 2 hex nuts
- 4 washers
- 1 plate
- Place a washer on the bolt.
- Place the bolt inside the draininage hole of the larger pot, with the long end of the bolt resting inside the pot.
- Drop a washer on the bolt and secure into place using a hex nut, but not too tightly.
- Drop another washer and place the drainage hole of the smaller pot on the bolt, letting the pot gently slide until it hits the hex nut.
- Sure into place with another washer and hex bolt, tightening it with breaking the pot.
- Place the plate on the ground with the bricks in a “u-shape” around it.
- Place the bricks over the bricks.
- Light the candles and place them in the plate under the pots.
- Stay warm!
Just make sure to use the heater in a well-ventilated room away from children and pets. There shouldn’t be anything flammable lying around and it should not be a high-traffic area to avoid being tripped on.
- How to Regrow Your Hair Naturally With These Herbs and Foods
“Male pattern baldness” is a phrase that instills fear and horror in most guys. This type of early hair loss …
- How To Make Your Own Magnesium Oil
Magnesium plays a fascinating, yet sometimes overlooked, role in nutrition. It is the 11th most abundant element by mass in …
- 64 Year Old Man Was Sentenced to 30 Days in Jail for Collecting Rainwater on His Own Property.
Many people–especially those living in suburban and rural areas–try to live more sustainable lives, relying less on others to provide …
- This Hysterical Video About a “Pregnant” Man Is a Good Reminder To Get Enough Dietary Fiber
In this peculiar ad, a couple experiences their first pregnancy…with a twist. That’s right, it’s the man who’s pregnant, not …
- 5 Natural Homemade Mouthwash Recipes
Looking for a natural mouthwash that you can make at home? We suggest these 5 homemade mouthwash for an incredible …
- 2 Breathing Tricks To Help You De-Stress And Improve Digestion
Breathing is one of the most natural and essential acts for a living being. It’s an automatic reflex that requires …
- Acidic Diet Increases Risk of Diabetes, Study Says
A diet high in acidic foods — meat, fish, and sodas, for instance — may put some women at greater …
- Top 10 Health Scams You Need To Avoid
Every now and then you’ll come across a “magical” or “amazing” product that will help you lose weight, fight disease, …
- Hexavalent Chromium (Chromium-6) Was Just Found In 75% Of Drinking Water
Access to clean drinking water is a basic human right- or at least it should be. While there are many …
- 5 Outstanding Ways To Use Raw Honey And Coconut Oil Together
Raw Honey and coconut oil are some of the most versatile foods available. Not just because of their nutritional values …
- The Hidden RADIOACTIVE Element In Cigarettes The Tobacco Industry DOESN’T Want You To Know
Everyone’s heard about the dangers of smoking, but very few people understand the mechanisms that make it so dangerous. Sure, …
- 6 Powerful Ways to Boost Your Magnesium Levels
To keep your body strong and healthy, make sure to pay attention to your intake of all essential nutrients. A …
- How To Read Barcodes to Find out Where Your Food Really Comes From
Even if you take a look at the ingredients and food facts you probably don’t glance at the product code. …
- 5 Reasons Why You Don’t Want Your Cholesterol Levels Too Low
We hear about cholesterol and how it leads to cardiovascular disease and now cancer. People have latched on to that …
- Toxic Dishwasher Capsules are Loaded With Chemicals That Cause Severe Respiratory Issues and Cancer
Anything that touches your food can get inside your body, right? That goes for dishes, glasses, and utensils, too. Commercial …