Pineberries don’t come from pine trees, they’re actually pineapple flavored strawberries!
Other than their unique flavor, these little fruits have the distinctive appearance of a white to light pink skin and dark pink seeds.
Although these berries are reminiscent of the naturally-occurring Alpine strawberry (which has green or white seeds), pineberries are produced by the crossbreeding of the North American native Fragaria virginiana, and the Chilean strawberry, Fragaria chiloensis. The Chilean variety is the ancestor of the strawberry we all know and love (1).
Also called Fragaria x ananassa, pineberries aren’t genetically modified in a lab (2). Instead, they’re the result of the cross-pollination of different strawberry varieties. In fact, in order for pineberries to bear fruit, they have to be cross-pollinated with North American berries. It took 6 years for Dutch farmers to select and cultivate these plants before they developed the perfect variety.
Other than being paler, the berries are a bunch smaller in size and the plants also yield less fruit. They can be hard to find at the grocery store, so you may have to grow them at home.
How To Grow Your Own
As a hybrid plant, pineberry shrubs don’t always turn out right when grown straight from the seed, so it’s best to buy the full plant or the roots from a reputable gardener (3). There will be a list of gardeners at the end of this post.
When looking for pineberry plants, opt for varieties such as ‘White D,’ ‘White Carolina’ and ‘White Pineberry’. Just a warning, though, purple pineberry is a variety of cannabis, so make not to buy it by mistake!
Here’re a few tips on how to grow them at home :
- At first, keep your plant in its original pot. Strawberries require soil of a certain acidity, so it’s best to let them perk up and readjust to their new environment for their first season after purchase.
- Pineberries tend to thrive in USDA zones 4-8, but you can grow them in greenhouses in other zones as long as they’re protected from extreme temperatures. They actually prefer partial sun, so make sure to keep them in an area that receives either morning or afternoon light. Full sun isn’t bad, but it’ll give the fruit a bluish-pink hue.
- Like most berries, pineberries are prone to fungus, so keep them in a well-draining pot and use natural fungicides as needed. They can also be grown using hydroponic and aeroponic methods.
- The plants typically bear fruit for 5 weeks from early May to mid-June. For best results, keep one regular strawberry plant for every 4 pineberries to ensure proper pollination.
The plants are a bit expensive to purchase compared to conventional strawberries, but you can divide them up as they get stronger. They’ll also produce shoots that can eventually lead to new plants.
If you’re really interested in growing them at home, find out more information here.
If you live in North America, you can buy pineberry plants here:
- Hirt’s Gardens
- Direct Gardening
- Nourse Farms
- Burgess Seed & Plant Co.
- Park Seed Co.
- Territorial Seed Co.
- Kelly Nurseries
- Exciting Gardens
- Hartmann’s Plant Co.
- Stark Bros.
- Being Bilingual Is Good For The Brain And Could Even Help Prevent Dementia, Study Finds
The ability to speak two or more languages is kind of like a secret superpower. It might seem kind of …
- Want to Live Longer? Learn How Sleep Can Keep You Going
A quarter of adults in the United States don’t get enough sleep on a regular basis. If you’re one of …
- Eat Better, And Your Friends Will, Too!
If you’ve ever tried to lose weight, you probably know how hard it can be to stick to your eating …
- Mix Bananas, Honey and Water: Cough and Bronchitis Will Disappear
If you have ever had bronchitis, you know how hard it is to treat. Worse of all, when your airway …
- How to Make Your Own Natural Sunscreen Using Coconut Oil
Store bought sunscreens can have some harmful side effects and many people today are choosing to go a healthier, more …
- This Is What Happens When An Animal Shelter Partners With An Elderly Care Facility
Pets give love and companionship that can turn someone’s life around. For elderly people who don’t get to see their …
- 8 Beers That You Should Stop Drinking Immediately
Everything in moderation. Take beer, for example. A cold brew on a hot day can be refreshing and a nice …
- Why Biting Your Nails Is More Than Just a Bad Habit
Nail biting is a habit of many. Chronic biters aren’t even aware they’re doing it. The consequences, however, are more than …
- Toxic Dishwasher Capsules are Loaded With Chemicals That Cause Severe Respiratory Issues and Cancer
Anything that touches your food can get inside your body, right? That goes for dishes, glasses, and utensils, too. Commercial …
- This Fast-Acting Anti-Inflammatory Tea Relieves Pain And Boosts Your Immune System
What do lemon, ginger and turmeric have in common? For starters, on their own, each of these ingredients is a …
- 7 Everyday Items That Are Actually Harmful
Everyday people perform a variety of common tasks that seem normal. Many of these everyday things are actually hurting us. …
- You’ll Never Use Store-Bought Butter Again After You See How Easy It Is To Make It Yourself!
Butter is a staple in many homes across America. It’s a versatile food that’s easily used in a variety of …
- The New Cannabis Capsule Is So Powerful It Can Replace Any Pain Killer
Painkilling drugs, like many pharmaceuticals, have come under fire for their harmful side effects. Despite these well-documented effects, pharmaceuticals still …
- Toxic Buildup Leads To Weight Gain And Belly Fat. Try This Simple Detox Drink
Do you easily put on weight despite eating healthy? Do you experience headaches, acne, depression, insomnia and fatigue on a regular …
- 17 Provocative Drawings Made by People Living with Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is a terrible brain disorder to live with. Symptoms can include everything from hearing voices, to abnormal social behaviors, and losing …