Pineberries don’t come from pine trees, they’re actually pineapple flavored strawberries!
Other than their unique flavor, these little fruits have the distinctive appearance of a white to light pink skin and dark pink seeds.
Although these berries are reminiscent of the naturally-occurring Alpine strawberry (which has green or white seeds), pineberries are produced by the crossbreeding of the North American native Fragaria virginiana, and the Chilean strawberry, Fragaria chiloensis. The Chilean variety is the ancestor of the strawberry we all know and love (1).
Also called Fragaria x ananassa, pineberries aren’t genetically modified in a lab (2). Instead, they’re the result of the cross-pollination of different strawberry varieties. In fact, in order for pineberries to bear fruit, they have to be cross-pollinated with North American berries. It took 6 years for Dutch farmers to select and cultivate these plants before they developed the perfect variety.
Other than being paler, the berries are a bunch smaller in size and the plants also yield less fruit. They can be hard to find at the grocery store, so you may have to grow them at home.
How To Grow Your Own
As a hybrid plant, pineberry shrubs don’t always turn out right when grown straight from the seed, so it’s best to buy the full plant or the roots from a reputable gardener (3). There will be a list of gardeners at the end of this post.
When looking for pineberry plants, opt for varieties such as ‘White D,’ ‘White Carolina’ and ‘White Pineberry’. Just a warning, though, purple pineberry is a variety of cannabis, so make not to buy it by mistake!
Here’re a few tips on how to grow them at home :
- At first, keep your plant in its original pot. Strawberries require soil of a certain acidity, so it’s best to let them perk up and readjust to their new environment for their first season after purchase.
- Pineberries tend to thrive in USDA zones 4-8, but you can grow them in greenhouses in other zones as long as they’re protected from extreme temperatures. They actually prefer partial sun, so make sure to keep them in an area that receives either morning or afternoon light. Full sun isn’t bad, but it’ll give the fruit a bluish-pink hue.
- Like most berries, pineberries are prone to fungus, so keep them in a well-draining pot and use natural fungicides as needed. They can also be grown using hydroponic and aeroponic methods.
- The plants typically bear fruit for 5 weeks from early May to mid-June. For best results, keep one regular strawberry plant for every 4 pineberries to ensure proper pollination.
The plants are a bit expensive to purchase compared to conventional strawberries, but you can divide them up as they get stronger. They’ll also produce shoots that can eventually lead to new plants.
If you’re really interested in growing them at home, find out more information here.
If you live in North America, you can buy pineberry plants here:
- Hirt’s Gardens
- Direct Gardening
- Nourse Farms
- Burgess Seed & Plant Co.
- Park Seed Co.
- Territorial Seed Co.
- Kelly Nurseries
- Exciting Gardens
- Hartmann’s Plant Co.
- Stark Bros.
- The Migraine-Relieving Hormone Nobody Ever Talks About
There are many factors that cause migraine headaches and people who regularly suffer from them know just how difficult they …
- Early Warning Signs Your Body’s Magnesium Levels are Dangerously Low
According to the World Health Organization, seventy-five percent of Americans have low magnesium levels. “Is that such a big deal?”, …
- A Japanese Device Claims to Fix Ingrown Toenails at Home in Just 30 Minutes
Ingrown toenails are annoying, and we’re almost all experienced them. They seem to come out of nowhere, and can linger …
- The New Cannabis Capsule Is So Powerful It Can Replace Any Pain Killer
Painkilling drugs, like many pharmaceuticals, have come under fire for their harmful side effects. Despite these well-documented effects, pharmaceuticals still …
- Sniffing Rosemary Can Increase Memory by 75%
Some people go to great lengths to help themselves remember important tasks or information, whether it’s memory-training drills, memory-enhancing drugs …
- Speed Up Your Metabolism with These 10 Proven Tips
#1 Maintain a Regular Eating Schedule If you are looking to stay healthy and lose weight it is best to …
- 85-Year-Old Grandma Has Been Living Hunched Over For Decades…But Then She Starts Doing Yoga!
Mobility is something we often take for granted while we’re young. But for 85-year-old Anna Pesce, mobility was a thing …
- Doctors Scoff At THIS Natural Remedy For Rheumatoid Arthritis—But It Works!
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a hereditary auto-immune disease, unlike osteoarthritis, which is a degenerative joint disease most often caused by …
- FDA Is Recalling Turmeric From THESE Brands Due To Lead Contamination
Since turmeric is a health food as well as a medicine, it’s essential to buy the high-quality stuff. Low-quality spices …
- Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and The Brain
Published in 2008, Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain remains a much-sought-out book by the fitness …
- This 5-Minute Positive Energy Meditation Will Help You Attract The Life of Your Dreams
Do you practice a daily positive energy meditation? When life gets you down, there’s nothing better to set you back …
- Doctor’s Warning: Check Baby Wipes Label For Possible Chemical That May Cause Rashes
Would you be surprised to learn that baby wipes are a relatively new product? American inventor, Arthur Julius, who later …
- How To Drink Your Excess Weight Away In 8 Weeks
It’s no secret that obesity has become one of the most wide-spread medical conditions worldwide. And while being overweight is …
- 10 Things That Will Happen To You If You Stop Wearing Makeup
Makeup is a great way to enhance your natural beauty and to improve self-confidence. It’s also a great way to …
- 2 Simple Juice Recipes That Will Replace Your Diabetes Drugs
Brace yourself. In brief, here are the statistics for the prevalence of diabetes in North America. United States: 9.3% of …