Just like homemade meals always taste better than going out to the restaurant, growing your own food will always be more satisfying to eat than what you buy at the supermarket.
The secret is all in the amount of time and love you put into what you do: be it cooking or gardening.
If you’re going to start a little garden of your own, you might as well add a little colorful addition into the mix, so why not grow some pineapples?
If you live in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 10 through 11, you can even grow the fruit outside (1). If not, they just need a large well-draining pot and a nice sunny windowsill.
Pineapples grow into little bromeliad shrubs that are incredibly easy to care for, they just take a little time to bear fruit, so stay patient and you’ll be rewarded tenfold!
How To Grow Pineapples
1. Buy A Pineapple
You’ll need a mature pineapple to grow a new plant, so make sure to buy a fresh organic fruit for best results.
2. Chop Off The Crown
Chop off the top of the pineapple, keeping a good inch or so of fruit under the green leaves. Keep the rest of the pineapple aside to enjoy.
Clean any yellow flesh from the crown to avoid mold and pluck away any dead leaves.
If you want, place the stripped-down pineapple with a glass of water to get it to root before planting.
3. Plant Away!
Make a small indentation in your 3- to 7-gallon pot of soil and placing the crown inside, vertically, making sure to firmly cover the base. The larger the container, the larger your fruit will be!
The leave will grow very large, so place the pot in a sunny location with plenty of room to accommodate your growing plant.
4. Wait (It May Take Awhile)
Pineapples grow very slowly, so it may be a while before you notice any changes in your plant. Like all bromeliads, pineapple store water in their leaves, so it’s best not to water them too much. As mentioned above, the most important factor in helping your plant thrive is to give it plenty of sunlight.
It may take up to two years for your plant to bear fruit, but every step along the way will amount to an incredibly rewarding harvest. Our personal favorite stage of growth is when the plants blooms into a beautiful array of purple flowers along the bright-red fruit.
Once your plant grows up, the fruit will begin to change color to reach the same brownish-yellow hue that your see in at the grocery store. Once it gets to the right color, it’s ready to enjoy! Start the cycle all over again by cutting off its crown and planting it right back up!
If you still have a few questions about how to grow pineapple, find more extensive instructions and gardening tips here.
- Put Cabbage Leaves Onto Your Chest And Legs Before Sleeping If You Experience Frequent Headaches
Sometimes the weirdest tricks have the best results. From honey wraps to onion socks, there are many time-tested strange remedies that …
- Say Goodbye To High Blood Pressure And Cholesterol With This Powerful Drink
The American diet is full of bad fats, excess sugar and salt. These things can all contribute to severe heart …
- Turmeric and Honey Together Make A Powerful Natural Antibiotic
Turmeric is a rhizome in the ginger family. Its flavor and color add depth to Asian cuisines. Turmeric and honey, …
- How Your Smartphone Light Affects Your Brain And Body (Infographic)
Your smartphone screen produces a blue light to make it easy to use in bright and dark environments. However, at …
- 8 Easy Tips To Help You Stop Snoring Naturally
Snoring can be a major problem when it comes to sleeping, both for the snorer and their spouse. How do …
- If You Get a Creeping Feeling in Your Legs at Night, This is What it Means!
“Restless Leg Syndrome” doesn’t sound very scientific, but it’s more descriptive than how it’s otherwise referred: Willis-Ekborn Disease. Restless leg …
- Keep One of These Plants In Your Home To Protect You From Radiation, Chemicals And Cigarette Smoke
But did you know that plant also filter out airborne toxins? In fact, plants can metabolize some toxic chemicals and …
- If You Ever Get Stuck In a Sinking Car, THIS Is What You MUST Do To Survive!
The idea of drowning is terrifying. Sadly, in many cases, drownings could have been easily avoided if the victim had …
- Doctors Refused to Give This Woman a Smear Test. 15 Months Later, She Died From Cervical Cancer…
Could you imagine being denied a medical test you requested all due to your age? For poor Sorcha Glenn, this …
- Why Seven Hours of Sleep Might be Better than Eight
You can live without food much longer than you can go without sleep. We’ve been told that eight hours of …
- Doctor’s Warning: Check Baby Wipes Label For Possible Chemical That May Cause Rashes
Would you be surprised to learn that baby wipes are a relatively new product? American inventor, Arthur Julius, who later …
- 4 Ways To Keep Your Thyroid Gland Healthy
Many people have questions when it comes to the purpose and function of the thyroid. This small gland can have …
- Top 10 Morning Habits To Guarantee Goodness In Your Day
The morning is a time of hope: the day is young, and you have the power to make it what it …
- If Your Hair is Falling Out or You’re Cold and Tired All the Time – Check Your Iron Like THIS Immediately
Chronic fatigue can have multiple causes, including lack of exercise, dehydration and poor sleep quality. One of the lesser-known causes …
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Visit Your Doctor Even if You Feel Healthy
The seemingly endless questions, and all of the poking and prodding that comes with having to endure a physical checkup …