There’s an outbreak of drug-resistant head lice in half of U.S. states and they’re kind of a big problem, especially for children.
Nicknamed “Super Lice”, these little bugs can’t be dealt with your regular treatments, including all the popular brands of lice shampoos and removers.
As a result, business is booming at lice treatment centers all over the country. And Lice Clinics of America has a machine that kills super lice– using fluctuating warm air that blows at varying strengths — but it costs parents $170. (1)
Some insurance companies cover the cost, but some don’t because the machines are relatively new.
The discovery of mutated lice isn’t anything new. A 2014 study “revealed that 99.6 percent of the lice found in the United States are ‘super lice resistant to pyrethrins and permethrin. It makes sense: Just as bacteria mutate to make an end run around an antibiotic, so too do fast-reproducing head lice, which mutate to survive the neurotoxic onslaught.”
“It’s almost saturated with (these genes), which means that people using permethrin and pyrethrin based products will probably have a very hard time controlling the lice,” said Kyong Sup Yoon, associate professor of biological sciences and environmental sciences at Southern Illinois University, who led the research for the study. (3)
Some Quick Facts About Super Lice
- Due to a genetic mutation, super lice are resistant to over-the-counter treatments used to kill regular lice.
- Symptoms of head lice include the feeling of something moving in the hair, an itchy scalp, irritability and difficulty sleeping.
- Super lice are spread by direct contact with the hair of an infested person, the CDC reports. Head lice move by crawling, but they cannot hop or fly. Lice can also spread by sharing clothing or hair accessories recently worn or used by a person with lice. Dogs, cats and other pets cannot spread head lice.
- All clothing, linens and toys should be washed in hot water. (4)
Before Trying OTC Options…
Before you start loading up with over-the-counter options, you might want to know what’s in it.
“The answer: neurotoxins, which kill lice by attacking the central nervous system. Rid, Pronto, and A-200 contain pyrethrins, and Nix contains permethrin, all used in common garden pesticides. Ovide contains an even stronger neurotoxin, malathion. (Yes, that’s the same pesticide many communities banned a decade ago.)
Needless to say, these pesticides aren’t something you’d normally want to expose your kids to. Pyrethrin exposure has been linked to asthma and other breathing problems in children, as well as skin rashes. They’re also probable endocrine disruptors and may raise breast cancer risk by elevating estrogen levels. Lindane, the oldest neurotoxin used for lice treatment and the active ingredient in Kwell, has been banned in 52 countries and restricted in 33 others for causing serious side effects, including seizures, stiff neck, lethargy, and slurred speech.” (5)
How To Fight Drug Resistant Head Lice Using Essential Oils
- Oregano, aniseed and Cinnamon leaf – kills 100% of adults and eggs.
- Tea tree (Melaleuca) – 83% eggs, 93% adults.
How To Use
The most effective method of application was using a high concentration of essential oil in alcohol (alcohol makes the insect skins more permeable to the insecticide properties of the essential oil solution).
E.g.: 50ml alcohol (vodka) to 10 drops essential oil rubbed into the scalp/hair, then left overnight.
The solution can then be washed off with shampoo, after which 2ml of the original mix is added to a rinse solution of 50ml vinegar and 50ml water. The treatment should be repeated after 7 days and fine combing between treatments is essential.
The following essential oils and blends may help to combat these super lice.
Oils & Blends: Eucalyptus, Geranium, Lavender, Lemon, Melaleuca, Rosemary, Purify Blend, On Guard Blend.
- Daily treatment of essential oils (10-20 drops of melaleuca, lemon and On Guard in 1 oz carrier oil or alcohol) – leave on for at least 30 minutes and then shampoo out with a natural shampoo with lavender and rosemary added.
2. Nit pick with lice comb.
3. Wash all beddings and towels in HOT water and vinegar or bleach.
If the infestation is serious, after the wash, you can do a rinse with;
- 1 ounce apple cider vinegar
- 4 drops of Eucalyptus
- 4 drops of Lavender
- 4 drops of Melaleuca
- 8 oz of water
Let this rinse air dry. Be careful of the eyes. The vinegar smell will go away as it dries.
Simple Solution To Prevent Future Head Lice Infestations
Salt and vinegar can work together to dehydrate and kill lice/nits.
To use, apply as a spray (1/4 cup salt dissolved in 1/4 cup warm apple cider vinegar) until the scalp/hair is wet.
Let the mixture air dry and then coat the scalp and hair with coconut oil. (6) Leave the oil overnight to suffocate any remaining living lice. Then comb through the hair.
After combing, wash with shampoo to remove the oil and use a hair dryer at maximum heat to blow dry.
- WATCH: Shocking Video Shows How Unhealthy Eating Habits From Childhood Can Be Dangerous
A short film released recently by Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta is looking to make a point about the impact that …
- How Poor Digestion Is Hurting Your Thyroid And What You Can Do To Fix It
Your thyroid gland plays a big role in your digestion and your metabolism. But did you know that it goes …
- This 3-Day Cleanse Is All You Need To Keep Your Lymphatic System Healthy All Year Long
The lymphatic system is a very important part of your body, but is often poorly understood. Poor lymphatic health is associated …
- Your Liver is FULL of Aluminum, Start Eating These Foods To Get Rid of It Immediately!
Aluminum is a naturally occurring metal. But just because its natural, doesn’t mean that it’s okay for the human body …
- How To Naturally Whiten Your Teeth With This Homemade Toothpowder
Making natural tooth cleaning agents is not difficult. Really, most of the items are in or around your home. When …
- THIS Is Why Mountain Dew Is Terrible For You (Never Drink This Ever Again!)
Despite the increasing awareness of the harms of soda, Mountain dew is a still a popular drink among children and …
- Top 5 Weight Loss Drinks You Need To Try
Thinking about losing a few extra pounds? The only true way to shed off unwanted weight is with a strict …
- 5 Key Reasons to Include Hemp Seeds in Your Daily Diet
Hemp can be used for many countless things, from building homes to the remediation of contaminated soil. In terms of nutrition, there …
- Doctors Have No Explanation: Mix Cinnamon And Honey For Arthritis, Cancer, Gallbladder, Cholesterol And 10 Other Diseases
Honey cinnamon may sound like a donut flavor, but it has much more potential than just satisfying your sweet tooth. …
- How To Grow Your Own Avocado Tree In Small Garden Pot
If you’re like most health-conscious people, you probably go through countless avocados every week. Although most people throw out its …
- Shocking Video Shows Man Peeing Into Production Line At Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Plant
If you haven’t eaten any Rice Krispies Treats, granola clusters used in some products or puffed rice treats in the last couple …
- 5 Anti-Aging Herbs To Keep Your Liver Young And Happy (Just Drink Them As Tea!)
Did you know that your liver is the second largest organ in your body? In fact, it’s one of the …
- 6 Ways Your Hands Can Help Predict Future Health Conditions
Hands can tell a lot about a person, how they’ve lived and how healthy they are. Recent studies show that …
- Toxic Dishwasher Capsules are Loaded With Chemicals That Cause Severe Respiratory Issues and Cancer
Anything that touches your food can get inside your body, right? That goes for dishes, glasses, and utensils, too. Commercial …
- 21 Surprising Uses For Lemons That You Haven’t Tried Yet, But Should
There’s a reason why cleaning products often smell like lemon. This little citrus fruit works as a powerful cleaner and …