A big part of staying healthy is keeping your portions under control.
Cooking at home is the easiest way to know exactly what you’re feeding your body and limit your intake of inflammatory foods.
However, this can be particularly difficult to do if you live alone, as most recipes are meant to feed 4-6 people.
This especially true for desserts, baked goods, and other foods that should be enjoyed in moderation.
Next time you get out your cookbook, take a look at the following handy guides to cut your recipe in half or in third (1).
This will help you avoid food waste, while still being able to enjoy your favorite recipes.
How To Make 1/3 of a Recipe
Important Cooking Tips To Remember
- It may be easier to make the entire recipe for baked goods and freeze half.
- When reducing recipes, you may need to use smaller saucepans, skillets and baking pans. The time for baking smaller amounts of food may be less.
- The standard size egg for recipes is the large egg. To halve an egg, break it, mix it together with a fork and use 2 tablespoons. Refrigerate the rest and use in an omelet or scrambled eggs within two days.
- A 9 x 2 x 13-inch pan holds 14 to 15 cups; when halving a recipe use a square 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan or a round 9 x 2-inch pan. When using a different pan size, try and keep the depth of food the same. Reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees F when substituting a glass pan for a metal one.
Simple conversion chart
- 1 cup = 16 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons
- 1 cup = 8 fluid ounces
- 1 fluid ounce = 2 tablespoons
- 1 pound = 16 ounces (weight)
- 1 pint = 2 cups
- 2 pints = 1 quart
- 1 quart = 2 pints
- 5 Easy Ways To Cook Kale
Kale has become increasingly popular with real foodies in recent years, and for good reason. With high levels of iron, …
- 7 Benefits of Coconut Oil You May Not Know About
Both coconut and its oil have been used as medicinal ingredient for people in countries around the world for ages. …
- Cinnamon Spiced Coffee with Coconut Milk for Long-lasting Energy WITHOUT the Crash!
Just when you thought your mid-morning cup o’ joe couldn’t get sexier…jazz it up with nutrition and flavor! Almost eighty-five …
- 4 Things You Never Knew About Vitamin K
Vitamin K is a group of fat-soluble vitamin abundant in leafy greens. Two types of vitamin K—K1 and K2—are important …
- Top 9 Veggies Highest in Magnesium
While vitamins and minerals can be ingested via supplements, the best and most natural way to ensure that you have …
- The 6 Biggest Diet Myths Debunked
There’s a lot of misinformation about health and dieting out there, and it can be hard to sift through all …
- This Is A Must Read Before Ever Using Turmeric Again!
Turmeric bioavailability is a key factor that’s almost always ignored when consuming this popular spice for its health benefits. Turmeric …
- Why You Should Still Say No to Organic Junk Food
The greater availability of healthy, organic food products started out as (and still are) a great idea. But big business …
- Scientists Find Pumpkin Seed Oil Causes 40% Hair Increase in Men With Alopecia.
Can The Great Pumpkin cure male pattern baldness? A new Korean study indicates that this might very well be true. From …
- Wild Blueberries Offer Astounding Benefits Against Unhealthy Fats
Eating wild blueberries diminishes the adverse effects of a high-fat diet, according to a recent study at the University of …
- 7 Reasons to Add Dandelion Greens to Your Green Smoothie
Dandelion greens are a powerhouse of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients essential to your body’s health. Here are a few …
- Researchers Discover Simple Compound in Olive Oil That Kills Cancer Cells in 30 Minutes
A study published in the journal Molecular & Cellular Oncology has revealed compelling evidence that a novel approach to cancer …
- The 12 Best Natural Supplements For Managing Blood Sugar Levels
Struggling to get your blood sugar levels under control and manage your diabetes? It can be hard to deal with …
- She Came Up With an Ingenious Way To Cut Watermelon…You’ll Want To Try This For Yourself!
There are no right or wrong ways to cut a watermelon. But there are techniques to make the process more efficient. In …
- Why You Should Drink THIS Warm Turmeric Water In The Morning
Turmeric is one of the most commonly used spices in the world. It’s what gives curries their characteristic orange-yellow color. …