A big part of staying healthy is keeping your portions under control.
Cooking at home is the easiest way to know exactly what you’re feeding your body and limit your intake of inflammatory foods.
However, this can be particularly difficult to do if you live alone, as most recipes are meant to feed 4-6 people.
This especially true for desserts, baked goods, and other foods that should be enjoyed in moderation.
Next time you get out your cookbook, take a look at the following handy guides to cut your recipe in half or in third (1).
This will help you avoid food waste, while still being able to enjoy your favorite recipes.
How To Make 1/3 of a Recipe
Important Cooking Tips To Remember
- It may be easier to make the entire recipe for baked goods and freeze half.
- When reducing recipes, you may need to use smaller saucepans, skillets and baking pans. The time for baking smaller amounts of food may be less.
- The standard size egg for recipes is the large egg. To halve an egg, break it, mix it together with a fork and use 2 tablespoons. Refrigerate the rest and use in an omelet or scrambled eggs within two days.
- A 9 x 2 x 13-inch pan holds 14 to 15 cups; when halving a recipe use a square 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan or a round 9 x 2-inch pan. When using a different pan size, try and keep the depth of food the same. Reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees F when substituting a glass pan for a metal one.
Simple conversion chart
- 1 cup = 16 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons
- 1 cup = 8 fluid ounces
- 1 fluid ounce = 2 tablespoons
- 1 pound = 16 ounces (weight)
- 1 pint = 2 cups
- 2 pints = 1 quart
- 1 quart = 2 pints
- 10 Vitamin And Mineral Deficiencies That’s Draining You of Your Energy
Have you noticed how fatigue interrupts your life and makes you feel weak? Have you noticed how it lowers the …
- Tropical Fruit Destroys Cancer Cells With ‘Lethal Precision’
The leaf of the Peruvian Graviola tree was discovered nearly 25 years ago as a wonderful way to prohibit abnormal …
- The Bitter Truth About Splenda Dangers
If you were told to ingest a biologically alien synthetic chemical whose presence on this planet did not predate 1976, …
- Top 10 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Kiwifruit
Kiwi is a small fruit with great power, packed into that little electric green fruit are large amounts of potassium, …
- Are You Really Eating Natural Foods, Probably Not.
A typical trip down the aisle of your favorite grocery store greets you with labels proclaiming “All Natural”, “100% Natural”, …
- 1 Super-Common Food That’s Ruining Your Skin, Joints & Blood Sugar
Sometimes it’s difficult to discern trend diets from the truth about nutrition. It seems that everyone has an agenda, a …
- 14 Fast Food and Restaurant Employees Confess the One Item You Should Never Order
(originally written by Charisma Madarang) The following question was posed on Reddit: “Fast food workers of Reddit, what should we NOT …
- Drink Coffee To Protect And Reverse Liver Damage Caused by Alcohol
Drinking More Coffee To Sober Up A recent study published in the Alimentary and Pharmacology and Therapeutics journal explored the …
- 17 Plant-Based Foods To Keep Your Body And Mind Energized
Being healthy can be fun. There are so many foods to choose from to get those essential nutrients. Read on for a list of …
- Unbelievable Weight Loss Study: Triple Fat Loss With One Teaspoon of This Powerful Spice
Cumin is a spice native to Egypt that has long been cultivated and enjoyed as a food and medicine in …
- 20 Ingredients To Memorize and Avoid In ANY Food You Consume Because They’re Just That Bad!
Artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, emulsifiers, sweeteners have saturated the food supply for more than four decades. We are on the …
- Researchers Discover Large Nutrient Gap Between Grass-Fed Butter And Conventional Ones
Butter and other dairy fats are controversial subjects in the world of nutrition – some people swear that the right …
- 5 Foods You Should Stop Eating (and What To Eat Instead)
There are many foods in this world you would have been better off never eating. This is especially true for …
- 5 Excellent Reasons Why You Should Be Eating Ginger Every Day
Ginger is a popular spice, for good reason – it can add much-needed zing to many recipes, from stir-fry to …
- This Tree’s Natural Sap Does Far More For Your Health Than Just Sweeten Your Food
Maple syrup is one of the many wonders of the world and far more than a simple sweetener. Maple syrup …