Congestion is caused by the inflammation of the lining of your sinus cavities.
This inflammation can be painful and uncomfortable, but it’s quite common. It can be caused by a cold, the flu, seasonal allergies or harmful bacteria.
Lisa DeStefano, an assistant professor at the Michigan State University college of osteopathic medicine, came up with a simple, non-invasive way of clearing your sinuses (1).
If you’re feeling uncomfortable congestion, just try this simple trick:
How To Clear your Sinuses
- Thrust your tongue against the top of your mouth.
- Place a finger between your eyebrows and apply pressure.
- Hold it for about 20 seconds.
- Your sinuses should start to drain.
How Does This Trick Work?
Your sinuses are hollow cavities in your skull. These are connected to each other and are lined with mucosa tissue and mucus. These bones are relatively flexible, so a simple massage can help clear up any fluid that might have accumulated within them.
Pushing between your eyebrows curves the frontal bone. It also affects the ethmoid, which is behind it.
Pressing your tongue rhythmically against your hard palate affects the maxilla and the vomer bone. This bone connects nasal passages to the mouth. Thrusting makes it rock back and forth. This movement causes other bones to swell outward, which in turn moves fluid out of the sinuses and into the nose and throat.
This remedy works for people with strong bone plasticity. If your mucous membranes are too inflamed, your sinuses might not drain easily. For more relief, try these home remedies.
- 5 Nutrient Hacks That Can Help You Sleep Better At Night
Not many people realise that what kind of diet you have can mean all the difference between a good night’s …
- MRI Brain Scans Show That Probiotics Can Improve Symptoms Of Depression
A recent study performed at McMaster University may lead to large scale trials aimed at confirming the connection between gut …
- 15 Ways To Reduce Endocrine Disruptors In Your Kitchen
When patients come to me for help in taking charge of their health, one of the essential changes I encourage …
- Is Your Computer Screen Damaging Your Eyes?
In today’s world many of us spend 10-12 hours of our day in front of glowing computer screens. Computers are …
- 3 Sinus Health Mistakes That Lead to Congestion and a Weakened Immune System
The sinuses are a crucial part of not just your head but your entire body! They help keep your airways …
- 5 Ways Exercise Can Help Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea, also known as obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a serious health condition that causes interrupted breathing during sleep. …
- 5 Wild Salmon Recipes for Brain Health
Wild salmon is one of nature’s best sources of omega-3 fatty acids, but it’s easy to get bored of the …
- Aspartame: Safety Approved In 90 Nations, But Damages Brain
NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, AminoSweet, Aspartame–po-tā-to, po-tă-to–all names for an artificial sweetener that has been linked to cancers, obesity and metabolic …
- 8 Natural Alternatives to Replace Antibiotics Whenever Possible
The overuse of antibiotics has become a modern-day epidemic. These drugs have depleted our natural immunity by killing the good bacteria in our guts …
- 3 Easy Drink Recipes That Clear Sinuses and Relieves Cold Symptoms Now!
Cold and flu season is unavoidable and most people get infected at least once before spring comes around. In fact, …
- Too Much of This Ingredient Will Weaken Your Immune System
Your body has a very efficient system for protecting itself from outside “invaders” such as viruses, bacteria, fungi, etc. The …
- Study: Turmeric more Effective than Prozac at Treating Depression
It’s common knowledge in the natural health world that pharmaceuticals often (if not always) do more harm than good. It’s …
- The Hidden Muscle Causing Your Sciatica Pain And 2 Easy Stretches For INSTANT Relief
Many people suffer from sciatica, a painful lower back condition caused by a pinched nerve. Sciatica can cause severe mobility …
- This Spice Helps Protect Your Brain From Fluoride Poisoning
Fluoride is found in so many places that is it nearly impossible to avoid it. It can be found in …
- 5 Ways You’re Accidentally Lowering Your Testosterone
Testosterone is hugely important for muscle and bone strength, sex drive, and energy levels. While both men and women produce …