Congestion is caused by the inflammation of the lining of your sinus cavities.
This inflammation can be painful and uncomfortable, but it’s quite common. It can be caused by a cold, the flu, seasonal allergies or harmful bacteria.
Lisa DeStefano, an assistant professor at the Michigan State University college of osteopathic medicine, came up with a simple, non-invasive way of clearing your sinuses (1).
If you’re feeling uncomfortable congestion, just try this simple trick:
How To Clear your Sinuses
- Thrust your tongue against the top of your mouth.
- Place a finger between your eyebrows and apply pressure.
- Hold it for about 20 seconds.
- Your sinuses should start to drain.
How Does This Trick Work?
Your sinuses are hollow cavities in your skull. These are connected to each other and are lined with mucosa tissue and mucus. These bones are relatively flexible, so a simple massage can help clear up any fluid that might have accumulated within them.
Pushing between your eyebrows curves the frontal bone. It also affects the ethmoid, which is behind it.
Pressing your tongue rhythmically against your hard palate affects the maxilla and the vomer bone. This bone connects nasal passages to the mouth. Thrusting makes it rock back and forth. This movement causes other bones to swell outward, which in turn moves fluid out of the sinuses and into the nose and throat.
This remedy works for people with strong bone plasticity. If your mucous membranes are too inflamed, your sinuses might not drain easily. For more relief, try these home remedies.
- Fight Kidney Stones With This Refreshing Lemonade Recipe
Kidney stones are one of the most painful health conditions out there. Since they’re caused by a combination of factors, …
- 7 Common Foods To Detoxify Your Liver Naturally
The primary way in which your body expels toxins is via the liver, which detoxifies and cleanses your body by …
- CNN – Patients: Roundup gave us Cancer as EPA Official Helped the Company!
Roundup is popular herbicide sold in hardware stores throughout North America. It’s also used extensively in the agricultural industry. It’s …
- Detox Your Liver by Juicing These 5 Foods
Your first line of defence against toxins is your liver! Cleansing the liver helps it produce better, more efficient bile, which …
- Gut Bacteria Imbalance Found To Be A Cause Of Parkinson’s Disease
It is only in recent years that science has begun to explore the role that bacteria in the digestive system …
- Easy And Effective Yoga Stretches For Sciatic Nerve Pain Relief
If you’ve ever had numbness, pain and weakness starting in your lower back and traveling down the sciatic nerve in …
- Homemade Steam Recipes For Decongestion And Other Natural Remedies
While you can’t see your sinuses, you can definitely notice them when you have a cold and feel congested. Nasal …
- The Fibromyalgia Diet: 7 Foods to Help You Manage Your Symptoms Naturally
Fibromyalgia isn’t the most talked about disease, but it’s truly a difficult condition to live with. This is especially true …
- 5 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Sinus Infection
By now, you probably already know that Apple Cider Vinegar is a true lifesaver. Whether it be used to flavor …
- Video Shows How Green Tea Consumption Can STOP Healthy Cells From Turning Malignant
The health benefits of tea stretch across the spectrum — green, black or white all promise to fight free radicals and hydrate …
- Sugar More Harmful To Your Body Than Just Your Waistline
Everyone knows that too much sugar in your diet can lead to weight gain, but what about the negative neurological …
- Two Cans of Soda Drink a Day May Hurt Kidneys, Study Suggests
A study carried out on employees at a University in Japan has found that those who drank two or more …
- 5 Things You Do That’s Slowly Killing Your Brain
There are many things out of our control, and our environment is one of them. Some of the things in …
- 5 Simple Ways to Become Brainier
Stop feeling like you are at the bottom of the class when it comes to intelligence as by following the …
- Cleanse Your Colon Fast With These 8 Remedies!
If you regularly experience constipation and other gut or bowel issues, then it’s high time that you start cleansing your …