Although most people clean their bed sheets every week, it’s rare for people to think of washing their mattress even just once a month.
Most mattress-cleaning options available on the market contain harsh chemicals and bleach, which release toxic fumes (1).
Since you spend a third of your life sleeping, these toxins can really build-up in your body over time and cause respiratory or inflammatory conditions.
Thankfully, hydrogen peroxide works just as well as bleach in disinfecting your mattress and removing stains.
Although concentrations of 35% hydrogen peroxide and higher can have devastating health effect, 3% is safe to use (2).
How To Clean Your Mattress
- Rubber gloves
- 250 ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide
- 3 tbs. of baking soda
- A drop of liquid soap or a detergent
- A stainless steal bowl
- A 300ml spray bottle (or bigger)
- Wearing gloves, mix the hydrogen and the baking soda in a bowl.
- Once the baking soda is fully dissolved, add 1 or 2 drops of liquid soap or detergent and mix again.
- Pour the liquid into an empty spray bottle. Use immediately.
- Shake the bottle and spray directly onto any stains or discolorations.
- Let the foam work its magic and leave it to air dry. You can speed up this process by using a small fan. Make sure to let your mattress dry completely to avoid any mold or mildew invasion.
- Once dry, vacuum your mattress to clean up any baking soda residue.
For stubborn stains, make a paste of 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide mixed with 1 tbsp. each of liquid dish soap and table salt. Rub it into the stain and let it dry.
Vacuum the residue and dab at any remaining stain with a white rag dipped into hydrogen peroxide, twisting the rag as you lift it off the stain.
You should clean your mattress every 4 months. You can also vacuum it to get rid of allergens and dust every time you wash your sheets. To protect your mattress from future stains, consider purchasing a waterproof washable mattress cover.
- Just Eight Weeks of Eating Paleo Can Dramatically Cut Blockages in Your Arteries!
Ever considered going Paleo? Well, a recent University of Houston study demonstrated that it would be worth taking the leap …
- The Psychological Health Benefits of Dog Ownership
If you think about it objectively, it’s a weird idea to have an animal living in your home, walking around …
- 4-Ingredient Coconut Milk Ice Cream: The Ultimate Metabolism-Boosting Dessert!
There’s nothing like a nice cone of ice cream to make you feel refreshed on a summer evening. While there …
- Doctors in UK Propose Ban on Cigarettes for People Born After 2000
In a bold and courageous move, the British Medical Association (BMA) passed a motion to pressure enactment of a law …
- Two Reasons You Should Get Up From Your Chair
There have been a few studies in the news lately about why it’s important not only to have an ergonomic …
- Over 100 Highly Toxic Chemicals Are Found in Perfumes (Here’s How to Make Your Own!)
Public places such as offices and gyms are becoming increasingly intolerant of products with strong scents, like perfume. This is …
- This 5-Minute Positive Energy Meditation Will Help You Attract The Life of Your Dreams
Do you practice a daily positive energy meditation? When life gets you down, there’s nothing better to set you back …
- How to Pick a Juicy, Delicious and Nutrient-Packed Watermelon Every Time
If summer had to be represented by one fruit, it would definitely be watermelon. Enjoyed on beaches, campgrounds, and porches …
- Woman Overcomes Asthma and Allergies with Raw Food Diet
When Jenni, who worked in a factory in her late teens, was convinced that she was having a heart attack, …
- How Essential Oils Affect Your Vision. What Not Enough People Know About
Essential oils from plants have been found to provide relief and healing for a wide variety of human conditions. As …
- Do You Easily Get Annoyed By The Sound of Chewing? Apparently THIS Is The Reason Why!
Some people need to be in a quiet space to focus properly while others need absolute dead silence. If you …
- 5 Things You Can Do Each Day That Will Help You Recover From Depression
I’m big on personal development (PD), and one of my favorite concepts is the Slight Edge Principle, because it helped …
- Mom Warns Parents After Baby Gets 2nd-Degree Burns From Kid-Friendly Sunscreen
As the days get warmer and the daylight hours get longer, many parents instinctively reach for the sunscreen to keep …
- The Truth About what Really Causes Cellulite and How to Help Get Rid of it Forever
There’s nothing as discouraging slipping into your favorite dress, looking in the mirror, and seeing cellulite. Cellulite doesn’t discriminate and …
- 5 Warning Signs of Nutritional Deficiency You Can’t Miss
Although the human body can be hard to decipher sometimes, certain signs come out crystal clear. In the case of …