Although most people clean their bed sheets every week, it’s rare for people to think of washing their mattress even just once a month.
Most mattress-cleaning options available on the market contain harsh chemicals and bleach, which release toxic fumes (1).
Since you spend a third of your life sleeping, these toxins can really build-up in your body over time and cause respiratory or inflammatory conditions.
Thankfully, hydrogen peroxide works just as well as bleach in disinfecting your mattress and removing stains.
Although concentrations of 35% hydrogen peroxide and higher can have devastating health effect, 3% is safe to use (2).
How To Clean Your Mattress
- Rubber gloves
- 250 ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide
- 3 tbs. of baking soda
- A drop of liquid soap or a detergent
- A stainless steal bowl
- A 300ml spray bottle (or bigger)
- Wearing gloves, mix the hydrogen and the baking soda in a bowl.
- Once the baking soda is fully dissolved, add 1 or 2 drops of liquid soap or detergent and mix again.
- Pour the liquid into an empty spray bottle. Use immediately.
- Shake the bottle and spray directly onto any stains or discolorations.
- Let the foam work its magic and leave it to air dry. You can speed up this process by using a small fan. Make sure to let your mattress dry completely to avoid any mold or mildew invasion.
- Once dry, vacuum your mattress to clean up any baking soda residue.
For stubborn stains, make a paste of 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide mixed with 1 tbsp. each of liquid dish soap and table salt. Rub it into the stain and let it dry.
Vacuum the residue and dab at any remaining stain with a white rag dipped into hydrogen peroxide, twisting the rag as you lift it off the stain.
You should clean your mattress every 4 months. You can also vacuum it to get rid of allergens and dust every time you wash your sheets. To protect your mattress from future stains, consider purchasing a waterproof washable mattress cover.
- 8 Surprising Reasons Why Drinking Red Wine Can Actually Be Good For Your Overall Health
While too much of anything is inevitably bad for you, indulging in certain vices in moderation can actually have a …
- You’ll Never Use Store-Bought Butter Again After You See How Easy It Is To Make It Yourself!
Butter is a staple in many homes across America. It’s a versatile food that’s easily used in a variety of …
- DON’T Do This at The Grocery Store (Automatically Adds More Calories)
Have you ever shopped for food hungry? Many people think that shopping while hungry influences your food purchasing decisions. It’s …
- 8 Ways Working The Night Shift Hurts Your Health. Here’s What You Can Do About It
The U.S. has become a country requiring workers, 24×7. We can shop for groceries at 2:00 a.m., we can speak with …
- Less Than 1 Tsp of Ginger and Cinnamon Daily Can Help Relieve Muscle Soreness In Athletes
Muscle soreness and fatigue are two major deterrents for people who exercise at a high intensity. Many well-intentioned workout resolutions …
- Johnson and Johnson: Cancer Causing Ingredients Present in Baby Products
Johnson and Johnson is well-known for their family products. They have recently faced lawsuits and public outrage over their baby products. Moms …
- 11 Unusual Breast Changes That Could Mean Danger
Approximately one in eight women in the United States will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. Eighty-five percent of women …
- Place a Few of These Leaves in the Corners of Your House and You Will Never See a Roach Again
There’s nothing like a bug infestation to make your home feel dirty and inhospitable. One of the worst residents that …
- 9 Plants To Attract Positive Energy In Your Home And Office
Your home is your sanctuary, so why not attract more positive energy in your home? Being surrounded by nature can …
- 8 Natural Ways to Alleviate Pain
When you experience pain of any type, it can be enough to drive you to reach for some acetaminophen or …
- There’s a New Way To Grow Your Own Avocados And It Doesn’t Require Using Toothpicks!
Avocados are often described as the perfect food, packed full of nutrition and healthy fats. They are loaded with omega …
- Top 10 Signs You May Have a Thyroid Problem And What You Can Do About It
The thyroid is a small gland located in the center of the neck. Most people don’t think that much about …
- The Scientific Power of Naps
Studies have found different benefits—and detriments—to a nap’s timing, duration and even effect on different people, depending on one’s age …
- 10 Most Common Types of Eating Disorders. #7 Involves Eating Sand and Dirt!
An eating disorder is something that can happen to anybody. According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated …
- How To Use Manuka Honey To Fight Inflammation, Diabetes And Cancer
Honey is one of nature’s greatest gifts. As well as being a nutritious and delicious food, the golden syrup has …