Caffeine is one of the most abundant drugs that people commonly use on a daily basis. In North America, 80-90% of adults use caffeine on a daily basis.
Many people don’t even think of it as a drug—they don’t consider the results and chemical process of excessive caffeine ingestion. How safe is caffeine and how similar is it to other drugs?
We took a look at what researchers and doctors are saying to help determine safe daily doses of caffeine.
Caffeine Is Addictive
The cup of coffee you have everyday—or maybe several times a day—is actually addictive. Like many drugs that alter mood an behavior, caffeine is actually an addictive stimulant. A recent article in the academic journal Psychopharmacology studied the history of caffeine addiction and cataloged common caffeine withdrawal symptoms.
The article concluded that, despite over 170 years of extensive medical reports of caffeine withdrawal, scientists are only currently beginning experiments to study the addictive nature of caffeine. The work of these researchers resulted in the creation of a new mental disorder in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)—caffeine withdrawal syndrome.
Coffee Is Healthy In Moderation
Most people consider caffeine a safe way to get a quick energy boost. Some health advocates even talk about the health benefits of caffeine. Studies exist that prove moderate coffee consumption does help lower heart disease risk. A 2007 study concluded that this phenomenon among coffee drinkers “might be due to antioxidants found in coffee.”
The same study, however, demonstrated that many of the effects of coffee and caffeine are not understood. Researchers also discussed the harmful components of boiled coffee, which contains cholesterol-raising diterpenes that might actually cause coronary heart disease.
Researchers are busy conducting more research on the long-term results of caffeine consumption. Currently, it appears that moderate caffeine consumption—even regularly—is generally safe. There are cases of caffeine overdose and death, however, the amount of caffeine required for death to occur is very high.
Caffeine Safe Limits
Doctors define “safe” caffeine consumption as less that 400mg per day. Recent research concludes that this level of “moderate” consumption “poses no significant health risks to most consumers.
Certain circumstances make that 400mg per day figure unsafe. The same study does not recommend caffeine consumption at all during pregnancy or for children. This is due to caffeine’s ability to slightly increase blood pressure.
When consumed in safe quantities, Caffeine is a safe drug. It is addictive—you might become dependent on it and it does briefly raise cholesterol levels and blood pressure but there are some benefits.
Caffeine can boost your metabolic rate and help you burn more calories. For many people it is an important part of a weight loss or weight management plan.
Additionally, coffee contains antioxidants that can help fight off disease. If you do consume caffeine be sure to stick to the recommended safe daily dose of 400mg.
-  http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00213-004-2000-x#page-1
-  http://journals.lww.com/co-lipidology/Abstract/2007/02000/Coffee,_caffeine,_and_coronary_heart_disease.5.aspx
-  http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/8/2047.full
-  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0379073803004171
- The Oncologist Told Her She Only Had 6 months Left to Live. Boy, Did She Prove Her Wrong!
An Australian woman in her mid-50s posted a YouTube video explaining how she eliminated her stage IV lung cancer with …
- How To Get Silky Smooth Feet With This Natural Treatment Using Baking Soda
Soft, well groomed smooth feet are important to many woman. With uncomfortable shoe designs, errands to run, and jobs that …
- New Research Finds Cheeseburgers As Bad For You As Smoking
People who are considered ‘middle aged’, which is between the ages of 50-65 years old, that consume a high protein …
- Why Hair Loss Is An Early Warning Sign You Should Never Ignore (And What To Do About It!)
Everyone knows what it’s like to lose a little hair. In fact, we lose 50-100 strands per day on average …
- Eat THESE Foods From The Mediterranean Diet To STOP Breast Cancer From Coming Back
It’s no secret that cancer is the disease of the century, but perhaps one of its most well-known and most …
- Why Turmeric, Olive Oil And Black Pepper Make For a Powerful Cancer-Fighting Drink
Cancer is one of the most frightening diseases of our age. Everyone knows someone who’s had cancer, and it’s scary …
- This 70-Year-Old Woman Looks 30 And Reveals Her Eating Secrets
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” – Hippocrates It is in this that Annette Larkins places …
- The 10 Most Common Signs and Symptoms of Heatstroke
According to statistical information obtained from the Centers for Disease Control, approximately 3,442 heat related deaths were reported during 1999-2003. …
- Are You Being Overprescribed Antibiotics?
Antibiotics are, by all means, incredibly useful drugs, and they’ve turned what used to be lethal illnesses into mere annoyances (and maybe …
- Burn Bay Leaves in the House and See What Happens After 10 Minutes!
If you’ve ever stepped inside a yoga studio or new age book shop, you may have noticed that these places …
- Finally! FDA Admits That Chicken Meat Contains Cancer-Causing Arsenic
It seems like only yesterday headlines everywhere warned of dangerous levels of arsenic in rice. The news was definitely a …
- 7 Surprising Sore Throat Remedies Hiding In Your Pantry
From air pollution that acts as an irritant to allergies and the frustrating common cold, the causes for developing a …
- Here’s Why You Should Never, Ever Clean Your Ears With a Q-Tip
If you’ve ever heard that you shouldn’t stick anything in your ears for any reason, you should heed that advice. …
- Take 1 Tbsp Of Apple Cider Vinegar For 60 Days To Eliminate Acid Reflux And Candida
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a popular superfood with amazing health benefits. Those of you who drink this everyday know firsthand how helpful …
- Everyone Has Baking Soda In Their House, But Did You Know It Can Be Used For THIS…
Home remedies are pretty much a hit and miss because everybody reacts differently to certain treatment. Even in the world of …