Summer can be a dangerous time of year for those over the age of 50 and living with heart disease, according to the American Heart Association(1).
The combination of excessive heat and people spending more time outdoors exercising when they’ve been sedentary for the colder months can be a dangerous combination.
But not all summer activities are associated with risk – in fact, here are some heart-healthy things to do this summer that could help lower your risk of heart disease or heart attack.
1. Eat Dates And Drink Pomegranate Juice
They’re more than just tasty snacks – according to Israeli researchers, half a glass of pomegranate juice paired with three dates a day can help prevent plaque from building up in your arteries(2).
Researchers believe that the combination of polyphenolic antioxidants in pomegranates and phenolic radical scavenger antioxidants in dates is what helps clear the arteries.
2. Eat More Nuts
“Peanuts are a healthy snack when eaten as part of a healthy diet,” said researcher Xiaorah Liu. According to her research with the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, peanuts – which many people avoid because they’re so high in fat – can actually help promote heart health(3).
3. Practice Mindfulness And Find Your Purpose
“Developing and refining your sense of purpose could protect your heart health and potentially save your life,” lead study author Randy Cohen said in a press release.
4. Eat Less Meat
Going vegetarian can have plenty of health benefits when done right, but if you just can’t stand the thought of giving up meat, even cutting down can lower your risk of heart disease, according to the American Heart Association(5).
5. Adopt The Mediterranean Diet
The Mediterranean diet, a diet which focuses on healthy fats, plenty of vegetables, and lean proteins like fish has been shown to promote cardiovascular health in a big way(6).
6. Take Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplements
If you’ve already suffered a heart attack or have a history of heart disease, omega-3 fatty acids might be extra important for you, according to research published in the Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance(7).
Researchers found that prescription omega-3 fatty acid supplements improved heart function and led to less scarring in heart tissue for people with a history of heart disease.
7. Get Plenty Of Vitamin D
Vitamin D deficiency is associated with heart disease, as well as with other chronic and age-related diseases(8). You can get vitamin D from your diet and from spending plenty of time in the sun.
8. Stop With The Energy Drinks
“Concerns about the health safety of energy drinks have been raised,” said Dr. Anna Svatikova for the Mayo clinic.
“Consumers should use caution when using energy drinks because they may increase the risk of cardiovascular problems, even among young people.”
9. Practice Gratitude
It might sound a little corny, but according to the journal Spirituality in Clinical Practice, gratefulness can actually strengthen your heart.
“We found that more gratitude in these patients was associated with better mood, better sleep, less fatigue, and lower levels of inflammatory biomarkers related to cardiac health,” said Paul Mills, lead author on the study(10).
10. Get Some Fresh Air
Pollution can damage your heart, according to research from the NYU Langone Medical Center(11), so take some time to get out of the city this summer and get some fresh air that’s actually fresh.
- Couple Builds Greenhouse Around Home To Grow Food And Keep Warm
When you live in a colder climate, winter can be excruciatingly cold, and expensive. While most people simply slip into …
- Revolutionary Diabetes Cure: Human Trial Set To Begin In 2015
Researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham have found verapamil, a blood pressure medication, can be effective in reversing …
- Tommy Chong of ‘Cheech & Chong’ Fame: “I’m Cancer-Free” Thanks to Hemp Oil and The Right Diet
Cancer is metaphorically our generation’s new “four letter word.” No one wants to even discuss it, let alone be told …
- This Tropical Purple Fruit Has Been Shown to Fight Colon, Breast, Pancreatic and Skin Cancer
Just when you thought you knew every health-promoting fruit out there, another odd-looking purple fruit is making headlines for its …
- Do This To Reduce Your Chances of Early Death by 42%
Do you want to live a longer, happier, healthier life? Of course you do – everybody does. So what if …
- Chart Comparing Global Drug Prices Exposes How US Govt Creates Mega Profits For Big Pharma
It’s no secret that pharmaceutical drugs in the United States are incredibly expensive when compared to costs in other developed …
- They Put Cameras In a Retirement Home. What They Saw Next Surprised Everyone…
Alzheimer’s is a terrible disease that affects millions of Americans and their loved ones. Alive Inside is a joyous cinematic …
- Are You Feeling Nervous Or Depressed? This Ancient Technique Will Help You Relax In No Time!
Eastern healing methods have really gained traction in the western world recently, despite having been introduced over half a century …
- Man Diagnosed with Terminal Lung Cancer Heals Himself with Honey and Spices
Thirteen years ago, Croatian doctors told Ante Kresich that his lung cancer was beyond treatment and to get things in …
- Crunchy Zucchini Fritters with Avocado Dill Dip
Fried foods certainly have their appeal, but they aren’t exactly healthy or easy to make. In an effort to make …
- How To Use The R-I-C-E Method To Quickly Get Rid of Swollen Ankles, Legs And Feet
After a long day up on your feet or a long flight, you may notice that your ankles, legs and …
- 6 Lifestyle Habits That Help Your Adult Brain Produce New Cells
Our understanding of the way our brain functions on a cellular level is always evolving – take the concept of …
- This Sea “Vegetable” Is Nutritious, Fast Growing And Tastes Just Like Bacon
It’s red, leafy, and vaguely resembles some kind of lettuce, but make no mistake – this patented new strain of …
- The ‘No Poo’ Experiment, Six Months Later Without Shampoo
“No Poo” is a nickname for going shampoo free… Everyone has a different experience when ditching shampoo. Here is Amber’s …
- You’ll Never Use Cancer-Causing Dryer Sheets Again After Seeing These DIY Dryer Balls
A few years ago, fabric softener and dryer sheets were considered essential tools in your cleaning routine. However, there has …