With winter just around the corner, most people are dreading the advent of cold season. Aside from staying warm and dry, there’s not much you can do to dodge it; once it starts, it can sneak in anywhere, and nothing’s more miserable than a fall or winter cold.
Fortunately, there’s no shortage of helpful home remedies for dealing with nasty cold symptoms. Honey is a cheap and easy way of treating coughs, and it can be infused with all sorts of things for extra flavor or for added health benefits. Here’s a simple recipe for ginger-infused honey, perfect for cold season.
Ginger-Infused Honey Recipe
- 2 cups of honey (preferably local, organic honey)
- 2 inches fresh grated ginger root
For this recipe, you’ll need a few things: a double boiler or a heat-safe bowl and a heavy pot; a candy thermometer; and sterilized containers with lids, such as mason jars.
Peel and grate the ginger root, using a fine rasp.
Fill the bottom of the double boiler with water, and place the honey in the upper part of the double boiler. (If you are using a large pot and heat-safe bowl, place the honey in the bowl and fill the pot with water, then place the bowl in the water.)
Add the ginger to the honey while bringing the water to a rolling boil. Use the candy thermometer to monitor the temperature of the honey; you want to keep it at 185 degrees for about 10 minutes, then remove it from the heat and let it cool for another ten minutes.
Strain out the ginger and pour the honey into your sterilized containers. You can eat the honey-glazed shredded ginger; it’s great for upset stomachs, and tastes lovely in stir-fries.
How It Works
Honey is a great home remedy for cold symptoms. A 2007 study in the journal Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine found that honey, when taken by the tablespoon, actually rivalled most commercial cough syrups in terms of effectiveness in easing coughs(1). “Parents rated honey post favorably for symptomatic relief of their child’s nocturnal cough and sleep difficulty due to upper respiratory tract infection,” the study concluded. “Honey may be a preferable treatment for the cough and sleep difficulty associated with childhood upper respiratory tract infection.”
“The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger have been known and valued for centuries,” one study writes(2). Ginger works by suppressing inflammation on a systemic level, making it ideal for treating throat inflammations associated with the common cold. Unlike over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen, ginger has no side effects and is safe to ingest even in large quantities.
When combined together, ginger and honey make an ideal home remedy for treating cold symptoms.
- These Super Healthy Turmeric Coconut Cream Cups Are Easy To Make At Home!
If you’re looking for a way to get more superfoods into your diet. This recipe is going to be your …
- Mix Turmeric, Mango and Pineapple For a Delicious Smoothie Recipe
Turmeric is a great spice – distinctive yet versatile, it’s useful in all sorts of dishes, but isn’t usually used …
- Dairy-free, Inflammation-BUSTING Chocolate Mousse Recipe With Avocado, Coconut Milk and Cacao
It can be hard to find desserts that satisfy your cravings without sacrificing your health. Most desserts contain high levels …
- How To Make A Metabolism Boosting Spice Blend
There are a number of herbs and spices that have metabolism boosting properties – and this unique blend includes some …
- 5 Heart-Healthy Avocado Recipes That Will Supercharge Your Body
Avocados are a surprising food in that, although they are high in fat, they are actually helpful when trying to …
- This Lifesaving Ancient Cold and Flu Remedy is so Effective Even Hippocrates Would Recommend It!
Trying to navigate your way through the flu season can be quite the challenge. Especially, if you’re taking public transit. And …
- This 3-Ingredient Homemade Syrup Helps Relieve Sore Throat and Cough
A sore throat is one of the easiest ways to detect the common cold. The virus causes inflammation in your …
- Make This Delicious And Easy Vegan Whipped Cream Recipe Using ONLY 3 Ingredients
If you’re lactose intolerant or simply prefer vegan recipes, you’ll love this! This vegan whipped cream is unlike anything you’ve …
- Drink This Turmeric Juice For Its Anti-Inflammatory Properties (Just Blend All The Ingredients!)
Turmeric is a popular spice, particularly in India, where it is added to many dishes not only for it’s distinctive …
- 3 Drinks To Detox Your Liver And Flush Out Fat
Food additives, over-the-counter pills, stress and environmental toxins are all things that can harm your liver. This is the reason why …
- The Turmeric-Cauliflower Flatbread Recipe That Fights Inflammation And Cancer With Every Bite
Cauliflower isn’t the most exciting vegetable for most people, but it really does deserve a place on your grocery list. …
- Have You Ever Tried ‘Hummoli’? This Dip Has Chickpeas, Avocado, Olive Oil, and More Healthy Ingredients!
Snacking can be the downfall of anyone trying to live a healthy lifestyle. With so many unhealthy options available at …
- 5 Detox ‘Shots’ To Alkalize Your Body First Thing In The Morning
Ever wonder why mornings are so rough? Your body’s ph levels may be responsible. While you sleep, your body is …
- Fermenting Turmeric In a Naturally Carbonated Soda Increases Its Bioavailability (Try This Recipe!)
We know about the potential health benefits of turmeric, a popular Indian spice that has been shown to have potent …
- 5-Ingredient Anti-Inflammatory Sweet Potato Brownies With Almond Butter, Cocoa And Maple Syrup
However, most brownies are full of inflammatory ingredients like processed wheat and sugar. If you want a delicious treat that …