With winter just around the corner, most people are dreading the advent of cold season. Aside from staying warm and dry, there’s not much you can do to dodge it; once it starts, it can sneak in anywhere, and nothing’s more miserable than a fall or winter cold.
Fortunately, there’s no shortage of helpful home remedies for dealing with nasty cold symptoms. Honey is a cheap and easy way of treating coughs, and it can be infused with all sorts of things for extra flavor or for added health benefits. Here’s a simple recipe for ginger-infused honey, perfect for cold season.
Ginger-Infused Honey Recipe
- 2 cups of honey (preferably local, organic honey)
- 2 inches fresh grated ginger root
For this recipe, you’ll need a few things: a double boiler or a heat-safe bowl and a heavy pot; a candy thermometer; and sterilized containers with lids, such as mason jars.
Peel and grate the ginger root, using a fine rasp.
Fill the bottom of the double boiler with water, and place the honey in the upper part of the double boiler. (If you are using a large pot and heat-safe bowl, place the honey in the bowl and fill the pot with water, then place the bowl in the water.)
Add the ginger to the honey while bringing the water to a rolling boil. Use the candy thermometer to monitor the temperature of the honey; you want to keep it at 185 degrees for about 10 minutes, then remove it from the heat and let it cool for another ten minutes.
Strain out the ginger and pour the honey into your sterilized containers. You can eat the honey-glazed shredded ginger; it’s great for upset stomachs, and tastes lovely in stir-fries.
How It Works
Honey is a great home remedy for cold symptoms. A 2007 study in the journal Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine found that honey, when taken by the tablespoon, actually rivalled most commercial cough syrups in terms of effectiveness in easing coughs(1). “Parents rated honey post favorably for symptomatic relief of their child’s nocturnal cough and sleep difficulty due to upper respiratory tract infection,” the study concluded. “Honey may be a preferable treatment for the cough and sleep difficulty associated with childhood upper respiratory tract infection.”
“The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger have been known and valued for centuries,” one study writes(2). Ginger works by suppressing inflammation on a systemic level, making it ideal for treating throat inflammations associated with the common cold. Unlike over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen, ginger has no side effects and is safe to ingest even in large quantities.
When combined together, ginger and honey make an ideal home remedy for treating cold symptoms.
- Drink This All-In-1 Ginger Tea To Dissolve Kidney Stones, Detox Your Liver And Fight Cancer
Ginger has been used medicinally in China and India for over 5000 years. It’s proven through time to treat digestion …
- Native American “Root Beer”: A Homemade Tonic to Purify Your Blood
The root beer we find on the grocery store shelves today is a far cry from its healthful ancestor. Homemade …
- 12 Juicing Recipes That Keep You Out of Bed While You’re Traveling
We all know that there are health issues that you might suffer from when travelling such as dehydration from sun …
- 5 Sweet Tooth Satisfying But Healthy Apricot Recipes. #5 Will Boost Heart Health.
Summer-ready apricots are a great and healthy way to satisfy your urge for something sweet, but also jam packed with …
- 5 Mouth-Watering Apple Recipes
No need to over-complicate things when searching for that healthy snack in the supermarket when an apple can provide you …
- How To Make Water Kefir Using ONLY 3 Simple Ingredients!
I’d heard of kefir before – the milk based cultured yoghurt like beverage which many non vegans consumed for its …
- Researchers Come Across Very “Appealing” Juice…What it Does to Your Blood Pressure is Astounding!
Are you looking to replace blood pressure-lowering drugs with natural, diet-based solutions? Complimenting past findings, recent research reveals that drinking …
- How To Make Vegan Cheese Using Cashews
Extra smooth with a subtle garlic flavor, this vegan cheese with cashews will make you forget about dairy. Guess what! You …
- Prepare Healthy and Delicious Pineapple Popsicles Using Only 3 Ingredients
If you’ve ever been to Disneyland, you may be familiar with the Dole whip – a frozen desert featuring pineapple …
- Slice Potatoes And Put Them In A Muffin Pan. They’ll Come Out Of The Oven A Family Favorite!
Potatoes are the ultimate comfort food. Easy to digest, potatoes have been a staple for people living in areas with …
- Make 7 Days Worth of Breakfast In Just One Day With This Easy Oatmeal Hack
Steal-cut oats usually take about 40 minutes to cook. Nobody wants to spend that kind of time first thing in the …
- How To Make Chocolate Cake With Avocado Instead Of Eggs And Butter
If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. …
- How to Make Lavender Lemonade to Get Rid of Headaches and Anxiety
Got a headache that just won’t go away? Many people find that traditional over-the-counter pain relief medication is ineffective in …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …
- 5 Athlete-Building Beetroot Recipes
Beetroot has taken center stage since the 2013 Paralympics when athlete David Weir won four gold medals and boasted it was …