The rise of technology may make life easier, but it’s also interfering with some of your important instincts and biological needs.
It’s been said that mental activity and light exposure from the use of electronics before bed promote wakefulness (1). This makes it more difficult to wind down into sleep and get enough rest.
A proper sleep routine is essential to support mental health, avoid disease and lengthen your life.
Why Sleep Is Important
Sleep serves to repair and restore your body as well as increase brain plasticity. This would explain why sleep deprivation affects your ability to learn and perform a variety of tasks as well as the ability to store information.
It also explains why sleep insufficiency is associated with chronic diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, depression, and obesity, as well as cancer, increased mortality, and reduced quality of life and productivity (2).
Sleeping is also important when it comes to muscle recovery, repairing tissue, and synthesizing hormones (3).
How To Use Reflexology For Sleep
Reflexology is believed to promote healing and relaxation by massaging specific pressure points in your feet, hands or ears.
These are the same points associated to acupuncture and acupressure (4).
Each organ in your body corresponds to a pressure point in your feet.
Massaging these points help improve the flow of oxygen and nutrient to the muscles and tissues. It also helps to promote muscle flexibility, move along lymph and reduce swelling.
How To Massage Your Feet
Before starting your massage, make sure that you’re already completed your bedtime routine, the massage should be the last thing you do before catching some zzzs.
- Hop into bed and place an old towel on your sheets to protect them.
- Grab some coconut oil and melt it into your hand before applying it on your feet.
- Hold the bottom of the foot with both hands.
- Begin rubbing the top of the foot, slowly working your way down to the sole, applying more pressure as you go along.
- Reverse directions.
- Then focus your energy on the heel, making small circles with your thumbs and applying heavy pressure.
- Alternate pressure on the heel. While one thumb is pushing up, the other should be pushing down.
- Next, make a fist and use your knuckles to knead the arch, rolling your hand back and forth.
- Don’t forget to massage around the ankle bone, calves and the top of the feet.
- After the massage, slip into a pair of comfy socks to keep your feet moisturized.
Spend Some Time On Your Toes
Naturopathic physician Leah Sherman suggests that you spend a lot of time massaging your big toes. Just outside of your big toe, below the tip, there is a point which corresponds with the pineal gland, which regulates the sleep hormone melatonin (5).
It’s important not to neglect the rest of the foot. A skilled reflexologist typically focuses on many points because the different systems of the body are connected.
Clearing away imbalances in any of these systems can lead to a healthier, more relaxed sleeping pattern (6).
If you’re still feeling a little stressed, spray some magnesium oil under your feet for an extra sleep boost.
How To Do a Foot Massage For Athletes
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- 20 Natural Ways to Cleanse Your Lungs
Most of us take breathing for granted. Even if you don’t smoke or experience respiratory problems, an occasional lung cleanse …
- 14 Early Warning Signs Of Mold Toxicity Everyone Should Know (Millions Are Exposed Every Day)
When you hear the word mold, you often think of rotten food or dirty showers in bathrooms, but this very …
- How to Effectively Remove a Painful Ingrown Toenail WITHOUT Having To Go To The Doctor
If you ever suffered from an ingrown toenail, then you know that it’s not only super painful, it’s also hard …
- THIS Is What Happens To Your Face After Washing It With Coconut Oil and Baking Soda
Baking soda and coconut oil face wash, can be very good for washing your face. Exfoliating your skin has become …
- Energy Saving Light Bulbs Are Poisonous To The Brain, Nervous System, Liver, Kidneys And Heart
There is a growing frenzy about the safety of energy saving light bulbs, which have grown increasingly popular. The US …