The rise of technology may make life easier, but it’s also interfering with some of your important instincts and biological needs.
It’s been said that mental activity and light exposure from the use of electronics before bed promote wakefulness (1). This makes it more difficult to wind down into sleep and get enough rest.
A proper sleep routine is essential to support mental health, avoid disease and lengthen your life.
Why Sleep Is Important
Sleep serves to repair and restore your body as well as increase brain plasticity. This would explain why sleep deprivation affects your ability to learn and perform a variety of tasks as well as the ability to store information.
It also explains why sleep insufficiency is associated with chronic diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, depression, and obesity, as well as cancer, increased mortality, and reduced quality of life and productivity (2).
Sleeping is also important when it comes to muscle recovery, repairing tissue, and synthesizing hormones (3).
How To Use Reflexology For Sleep
Reflexology is believed to promote healing and relaxation by massaging specific pressure points in your feet, hands or ears.
These are the same points associated to acupuncture and acupressure (4).
Each organ in your body corresponds to a pressure point in your feet.
Massaging these points help improve the flow of oxygen and nutrient to the muscles and tissues. It also helps to promote muscle flexibility, move along lymph and reduce swelling.
How To Massage Your Feet
Before starting your massage, make sure that you’re already completed your bedtime routine, the massage should be the last thing you do before catching some zzzs.
- Hop into bed and place an old towel on your sheets to protect them.
- Grab some coconut oil and melt it into your hand before applying it on your feet.
- Hold the bottom of the foot with both hands.
- Begin rubbing the top of the foot, slowly working your way down to the sole, applying more pressure as you go along.
- Reverse directions.
- Then focus your energy on the heel, making small circles with your thumbs and applying heavy pressure.
- Alternate pressure on the heel. While one thumb is pushing up, the other should be pushing down.
- Next, make a fist and use your knuckles to knead the arch, rolling your hand back and forth.
- Don’t forget to massage around the ankle bone, calves and the top of the feet.
- After the massage, slip into a pair of comfy socks to keep your feet moisturized.
Spend Some Time On Your Toes
Naturopathic physician Leah Sherman suggests that you spend a lot of time massaging your big toes. Just outside of your big toe, below the tip, there is a point which corresponds with the pineal gland, which regulates the sleep hormone melatonin (5).
It’s important not to neglect the rest of the foot. A skilled reflexologist typically focuses on many points because the different systems of the body are connected.
Clearing away imbalances in any of these systems can lead to a healthier, more relaxed sleeping pattern (6).
If you’re still feeling a little stressed, spray some magnesium oil under your feet for an extra sleep boost.
How To Do a Foot Massage For Athletes
- New Federal Study Links Monsanto Chemicals To Widespread Liver Disease In Poisoned Southern Town (Anniston, Alabama)
Mention Monsanto these days and you are sure to get a reaction from almost anyone. The American multinational agrochemical and …
- This Is Not A Normal Bug…If You See One Do THIS Immediately!
Bugs can be annoying, but most of them are pretty harmless, right? You may have heard of the seemingly innocent …
- 7 Reasons Why You Absolutely NEED to Try Castile Soap and 16 Genius Ways to Use It
Not all soaps are the same; they may clean all right but they might be leaving behind undesirables. There’s a …
- Anxiety Makes You Fat, Sick And Depressed…Here Are 10 Herbs That Work Better Than Drugs
Mental health problems are much more prominent than most people think. Nearly 70% of Americans are on some kind of …
- Coconut Oil Exterminates >93 Percent of Colon Cancer Cells In Vitro After Two Days of Treatment
Colon cancer one the most common type of cancers among both men and women. In fact, it’s the second leading cause …
- 70-Year-Old Man Reveals Secret To Staying Physically and Mentally Fitter Than People Half His Age
Stephen Jepson may be one of the most creative and active people you will ever meet, especially at his age. …
- New Research Finds Cheeseburgers As Bad For You As Smoking
People who are considered ‘middle aged’, which is between the ages of 50-65 years old, that consume a high protein …
- Baking Soda Can Save Your Life But Only If You Use It Like THIS!
Baking soda truly is a versatile, all-purpose, non-toxic and alkaline substance. Although it isn’t identical to the store-bought stuff, your …
- Endocrine Disruptors Make You Fat, Sick And Tired…This Is How You Avoid Them!
When food comes into contact with certain plastics, these chemicals can leech into your meal and end up in your …
- 6 Little-Known Reasons Why Chronic Stress Is Bad For You
We all experience stress in our daily lives – from relatively minor stress like the kind that comes with exams …
- Get SuperBetter: How a Game Can Add Years to Your Life
When Jane McGonigal suffered a severe concussion, she became more and more depressed as a result of not being able …
- Monsanto’s Secret Is Out: Glyphosate Is In Your Food
When growing food crops, any farmer wants to harvest as much as possible and minimize what falls prey to insects …
- Try This Coconut Oil Shampoo and Conditioner For Perfect Hair
The more time you spend outdoors, the more care you should put in preventing sunburns and dried hair. Sun damage can …
- Getting Your Daily Dose of Probiotics Isn’t That Hard And It Can Even Help You Lose Weight
Antibiotic overuse among humans is causing an international health crisis – not only making us more susceptible to “superinfections”(2) but …
- Massage THIS Oil On Your Wrists To SOOTHE Carpal Tunnel Pain In 4 Weeks Or Less
If you’re trying to ignore the sharp, shooting pain in your wrist right now, then you probably know the effects …