It’s an idea that many have considered for a very long time: healthy fast food.
In North America, fast food is a staple for many; it’s difficult to beat its convenience and affordability. People obviously really like what fast food restaurants have to offer on their menus, too.
In recent years, however, as people become more aware of what they eat and how it affects their bodies, we know that traditional fast food—with all the ease it affords—is not healthy food. That may be about to change.
Two former McDonald’s executives, Mike Roberts and Mike Donahue, partnered with Stephen Sidwell, the founder of Gardein (a meat substitute) in the launching of LYFE Kitchen restaurants three years ago.
There are currently ten restaurants sprinkled in California, Colorado, Illinois, Nevada, and Texas. The next step: nationwide expansion to 250 restaurants.
LYFE (Loving Your Food Everyday) Kitchen is a Novelty in Several Ways:
- Food offerings include vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options
- Grass-fed beef and pasture-raised chicken are available
- The menu includes superfoods like kale and quinoa
- Accomplished chefs created the menu
- Ingredients do not include white sugar or high fructose corn syrup
- Food can be take-out or you can opt for table service
- The calorie and sodium content is included on the menu for each item
- Gardein is the protein in some of the vegetarian dishes; it’s made with non-GMO (genetically modified organisms) soy
- Tabletops and chairs are made from recycled materials
- All restaurants are LEED-accredited
With menu items ranging in price from $4-14 and serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, LYFE fits the fast food model with the premium items at the upper end of the menu.
The model may be fast food but the ambience is more like a café. Local produce is used whenever possible, as are organics. LYFE can’t boast that it’s completely non-GMO yet but it is working toward that goal through the Non-GMO Project Verification program.
Going non-GMO is a Selling Point.
Last year after fast-casual burrito chain Chipotle announced it was increasing prices to become GMO-free, its stock jumped by fifteen percent the following day–and has been increasing ever since.
Chipotle’s motivation: it’s what the customers want. Apparently the old adage “the customer is always right” is bang-on here; customers are willing to pay a little more and the investing public is willing to pay a lot for better quality food.
Here are some of the items on the LYFE Kitchen menu—reads much differently than, say, Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, fries, and a milkshake:
- Quinoa buttermilk pancakes
- Kale-banana smoothie
- Squash lemongrass soup
- Fish tacos
- Pizzadillawich (folded pizza stuffed with vegetables and goat cheese)
- Roasted salmon
- Banana or chocolate budino
- Herbal teas
- Children’s menu
- Herb-infused waters
“Something for Everyone, From Carnivores to Vegans”
Its mission reads as well as its menu, with sustainability, community, and employees at the top of its priority list. From its website:
“WE HAVE HIGH STANDARDS. JUST LIKE YOU. Quality ingredients are all we will serve. Period. They guide our menu and ensure that everything we serve is of the highest quality. Minimally processed and naturally enhanced with spices and herbs—that’s what we deliver. Absolutely nothing less.”
- Massive 10-Year Study Has Linked Diet Soda To Heart Attacks And Stroke
Just because a product says “healthy”, “natural”, or “sugar-free” doesn’t mean it’s good for you. Same goes for the word …
- How To Do a 3-Day Sugar Detox to ACCELERATE Fat Loss And Improve Your Mood!
Everybody gets a sweet tooth every once in a while, but it’s easy for these cravings to develop into full-blown …
- The World’s #1 Food For Heart Attack, Hypertension, Stroke And Cholesterol
Dates aren’t the most attractive fruit, but they certainly are sweet and nutritious. Studies show that this amazing fruit has …
- Top 6 Health Benefits of Magnesium
You probably already know a lot about the other vitamins and minerals that are crucial to your overall optimal health, …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- 30 Simple and Effective Whole Food Substitutes to Improve Your Total Wellness Right Away
If you haven’t caught up by now, the Standard American Diet – appropriately nicknamed SAD – is horrible. It’s literally …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat 4X Faster, Prevent Cancer, Improve Energy And Remove Toxins
Most tea can be found either in tea bag or loose leaf form. Occasionally, it can also be fermented and …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- 7 Day Alkaline Diet Plan to Fight Inflammation and Disease
Although the alkaline diet may seem like the latest celebrity craze, you shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly. Forget how you …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …