Garcinia Cambogia, what is it and what does it do?
It has been touted as a wonder supplement by the likes of people like Dr. Oz. It is supposed to control appetite while actively stalling fat production.
Sounds great. Right?
It does, but we’ve been tricked before, so let’s take a look at whatever facts we can turn up about this wonderful little pill. When taking supplements such as these it can be easy to cloud your judgment as to whether or not it is working by the placebo effect.
Therefore, I have not taken this pill. I will do my best to provide an objective opinion of the effectiveness of Garcinia Cambogia based solely upon the facts that I find.
First, what is it? Garcinia Cambogia is a citrus fruit typically used in Asian cooking. The skin contains hydroxycitric acid [HCA], this is the component of the fruit that people are going crazy over.
Now why do people think it so great? I have come across some studies done with rats. In these studies it was shown that it inhibited a fat producing enzyme in the body, and it also showed increase in serotonin production.
These factors contribute to decreased appetite and limited fat production. As expected, the rats lost a lot of weight in these trials. The problem is, that what works in rats, does not always translate to humans. Let’s take a look at some human studies.
No BS Garcinia Cambogia Review
There is one study that takes over 100 overweight individuals and gives half of them 1500mg of HCA, the other half a placebo. They were both fed the same diet for a period of 12 weeks. At the end, both groups lost weight. However, the placebo group lost more, about one kilo more.
In another study, just under 100 overweight women were put through the same procedure as the above study. This time the HCA group lost more weight than the placebo group by about one kilo. Changes in appetite were not detected in either group.
There are more studies, and they all show similar results. This would make it appear that Garcinia Cambogia is not the determinant factor in the weight loss that takes place during these trials.
It can be possible that Garcinia Cambogia does produce a small amount of weight loss. Is it worth whatever it costs though? I would venture to guess that one could derive comparable or better effects from drinking green tea every day.
On the bright side, it appears to be safe enough to take. So, if you want to see for yourself, and become your own guinea pig, go right ahead. However, you’re more likely to get better results by eating healthier and being more active than relying on this pill.
-  http://www.jbc.org/content/246/3/629.long
-  http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=188147
-  http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/green-tea
-  http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2012/197920/abs/
- 2 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar Before Bed Will Have THIS Effect On Your Blood Sugar Levels
Apple cider vinegar is used for a lot of different purposes – people use it to wash their hair, aid …
- The 3 Golden Rules You NEED To Fight Cancer, Slow Down Aging And Burn Belly Fat
Hippocrates had it right when he said, “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” This Ancient Greek …
- 5 Health Lessons From the Paleo Diet
The Paleo Diet has been one of the most popular diets recently, with many individuals giving up grains, sugars, alcohol, …
- 7 Salads Worse Than a Big Mac
Salads sound like they should be a healthy alternative to some of the calorie-, fat-, and salt-packed options you find …
- Top 5 Reasons To Drink More Fresh, Young Coconut Water
Coconut water has grown in popularity in recent years, gaining traction as an alternative to sugary sports drinks due to …
- The Plant That Kills Cancer Cells, Stops Diabetes and Boosts Your Immune System!
Bitter melon is a plant native to India, but it is also widely used in cooking in China as well. …
- Top 10 Homemade Seasoning Blends to Supercharge Your Health
Are you still buying all of your seasoning mixes at the store? It is so simple and cost effective to make …
- 7 Reasons Why Your Body Needs More Vitamin C Right Now
As humans, we can’t produce our own vitamin C, so it’s important that we get it from our diet! Here’s seven …
- This Fructose Liquid Is Actually Good For You
What kinds of things do you think about when trying to decide whether a food is healthy or not? Do …
- Are Bananas As Bad For You As Cookies?
Have you ever noticed how some foods seem to fill you up for hours and others leave you feeling even …
- Top 10 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Asparagus (With Recipes!)
Asparagus is packed with vitamins, fiber and other nutrients essential for our health and as such has a number of …
- Freeze This, Not That! Here’s a Practical Guide On How Long You Can Freeze Your Food
Fruit is great, but can you freeze it? What about veggies? Or meat? The answer may surprise you, but it …
- 5,000+ Studies: Turmeric More Effective Than Leading Drugs For Diabetes, Arthritis And Cancer
Turmeric is a rhizome spice that has been used for centuries in India and other Asian countries. It is bright …
- 30 Foods For a Healthier Life
There are countless diets out there telling you what to eat, when you should eat it, how much you should …
- Food Scientists: New GMO Potatoes ‘Extremely Worrisome’
Center for Food Safety (CFS) is today warning consumers about a new genetically engineered (GE) potato that may soon enter …