Garcinia Cambogia, what is it and what does it do?
It has been touted as a wonder supplement by the likes of people like Dr. Oz. It is supposed to control appetite while actively stalling fat production.
Sounds great. Right?
It does, but we’ve been tricked before, so let’s take a look at whatever facts we can turn up about this wonderful little pill. When taking supplements such as these it can be easy to cloud your judgment as to whether or not it is working by the placebo effect.
Therefore, I have not taken this pill. I will do my best to provide an objective opinion of the effectiveness of Garcinia Cambogia based solely upon the facts that I find.
First, what is it? Garcinia Cambogia is a citrus fruit typically used in Asian cooking. The skin contains hydroxycitric acid [HCA], this is the component of the fruit that people are going crazy over.
Now why do people think it so great? I have come across some studies done with rats. In these studies it was shown that it inhibited a fat producing enzyme in the body, and it also showed increase in serotonin production.
These factors contribute to decreased appetite and limited fat production. As expected, the rats lost a lot of weight in these trials. The problem is, that what works in rats, does not always translate to humans. Let’s take a look at some human studies.
No BS Garcinia Cambogia Review
There is one study that takes over 100 overweight individuals and gives half of them 1500mg of HCA, the other half a placebo. They were both fed the same diet for a period of 12 weeks. At the end, both groups lost weight. However, the placebo group lost more, about one kilo more.
In another study, just under 100 overweight women were put through the same procedure as the above study. This time the HCA group lost more weight than the placebo group by about one kilo. Changes in appetite were not detected in either group.
There are more studies, and they all show similar results. This would make it appear that Garcinia Cambogia is not the determinant factor in the weight loss that takes place during these trials.
It can be possible that Garcinia Cambogia does produce a small amount of weight loss. Is it worth whatever it costs though? I would venture to guess that one could derive comparable or better effects from drinking green tea every day.
On the bright side, it appears to be safe enough to take. So, if you want to see for yourself, and become your own guinea pig, go right ahead. However, you’re more likely to get better results by eating healthier and being more active than relying on this pill.
-  http://www.jbc.org/content/246/3/629.long
-  http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=188147
-  http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/green-tea
-  http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2012/197920/abs/
- 6 Foods That Fight Off Belly Bloat
There are many kinds of foods that can cause stomach bloating, but you can work to prevent it by eating …
- 8 Morning Drinks Can Flush Pounds of Toxins And Waste From Your Body In No Time
You wouldn’t think twice about bringing your car in for a tune-up—check the fluids, change the filters and otherwise make …
- 5 Reasons Why Eating This Large Berry Makes You More Resistant to Heart Disease
Often deemed a “perfect food,” the avocado is considered one of the healthiest foods available. Even a study published in Nutrition …
- Try This Tasty Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie With Ginger, Coconut Oil and Green Tea
Chronic inflammation in the body leads to advanced aging and disease. It can be caused by many different factors including …
- Eating Your Trees: Fun and Healthy Broccoli Recipes
Broccoli is rich in fiber, vitamin C, and tons of phytonutrients, and it’s available just about year round. While you …
- America’s #1 GMO Cookie that Causes Fatty Liver And Cancer
Oreo cookies are of America’s most well-loved and recognized treats. Throughout their 104-year legacy, the cookie brand has settled into …
- Here’s Undeniable Proof That Grass Fed Butter Is a Superfood For The Heart
Grass-fed butter may be one of the most misunderstand foods. For the past 50 years, trusted medical professionals have been …
- Nitrate-Rich Leafy Greens Amazingly ‘Good for The Heart’, Study Finds
A recent study by the Universities of Cambridge and Southampton has found that nitrate, found in leafy green vegetables, may …
- 10 Vitamin And Mineral Deficiencies That’s Draining You of Your Energy
Have you noticed how fatigue interrupts your life and makes you feel weak? Have you noticed how it lowers the …
- Stop Throwing Your Watermelon Seeds Away! Use This Recipe Instead To Make a Healthy Drink.
Watermelon gets a bad rap as being a food relatively low in nutrients; most people assume it’s mostly sugar and …
- 5 Pleasing Sweet Potato Recipes. #3 Makes for a Healthy Breafkast.
Organic sweet potatoes are relatively cheap considering the amount of goodness they contain. They contain high levels of vitamin B6, …
- Here’s Why You Need to Stop Eating Commercial Soy Products
Soy became somewhat of a fad starting in the late ’70s. With the alarming rise in the numbers of people …
- 7 Surprising Foods to Help You Sleep Better at Night
According to the CDC, sleep deficits are a national epidemic – not getting enough sleep is associated strongly with car …
- How to Make Medicinal Pickled Turmeric
This recipe for pickled turmeric promises to reduce inflammation & promote wellness. But before we begin, let’s take a quick …
- How to Use Turmeric Paste to Get Rid of Acne & Acne Scars Fast
Acne affects nearly all of us at some point, from puberty into our 50’s. Acne occurs due to clogged pores …