Athletes at the Rio Olympics have brought into mainstream discussion the ancient practice of cupping, made obvious on their skins with red circles.
So what is cupping therapy?
Also known as hijamah, cupping therapy is an ancient Chinese treatment developed thousands of years ago. It’s meant to stimulate life force energy through meridians in the body using the same theories as acupuncture.
Cups can be made of plastic or bamboo, but most therapeutic cups are made of traditional glass. A source of heat is placed inside the cup, warming it and removing the oxygen inside, creating a vacuum.
Alternatively, a suction gun may be used to create the same effect. The cup is then placed strategically along a meridian to improve blood and energy flow to the area that requires healing.
Traditionally, this healing method is used to treat respiratory ailments, reduce inflammation and pain, depression, and gastrointestinal disorders.
In modern days, athletes use cupping therapy as a means to clear all meridians and loosen up muscles and tendons to optimize performance.
The Science of Cupping Therapy.
Cupping works by extracting toxins from the body through the skin.
- Reduce blood pressure in hypertensive patients
- Relieve chronic back and neck pain
- Improve the stiffness and pain of osteoarthritis and neuralgia
- Regulate blood sugar in Type 2 diabetics
- Clear vascular claudication (pain caused by artery constriction)
- Promote proper digestion
Since the 1950’s Western science has taken an interest in this ancient practice. Clinical randomized studies—recognized as bona fide by the science establishment— on the subject have increased.
Here’s what a few of these studies have concluded:
“…quality and quantity of RCTs [randomized control trials] on cupping therapy appears to be improved during the past 50 years in China, and majority of studies show potential benefit on pain conditions, herpes zoster and other diseases.” (6)
“…positive short-term effect of cupping therapy on reducing pain intensity compared with no treatment, heat therapy, usual care, or conventional drugs.” (7)
“Cupping may allow patients to progress to functional movement training in a timely manner by promptly reducing pain and muscle tenderness and improving range of motion.” (8)
“After performing cupping, we observe that the coloring of the skin changes from clear pink to dark red, due to extravasation of blood from the capillaries into the flesh. This deep tissue blood falls into decay, the red globules break up and set free the antitoxins that impregnate them. Besides that, we observe extensive polynucleosis, which enables the patient to resist infectious pathogens.” (9)
These studies found no adverse side effects —apart from the temporary red circles on the skin.
5 Benefits of Cupping
Pain Relief – Several studies show that cupping therapy relieves various types of pain, from cancer to arthritis to lower back pain.
Relaxation – Everyone can use a little more relaxation! Cupping therapy eases stress by promoting blood and energy flow. It also releases toxins to relax the body and the mind.
Healing – Cupping promotes blood flow targeted to a particular area; better flow means faster healing.
Skin – Surface problems are often manifestations of what’s happening within. Increased blood flow brings oxygen and nutrients up through the skin to nourish and heal it.
Cupping may be effective in reducing the incidence of acne, eczema, and the appearance of cellulite.
Digestion – Whether stemming from an immune system response, poor dietary habits, and/or chronic stress, cupping can reduce stress in the abdominal area, relieving symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhea, constipation, and water retention (10).
Watch the video below to see cupping therapy in action:
- Your Depression Is NOT Caused By Chemical Imbalance. And Yes, There’s Way a To FIGHT It!
1 in 10 Americans currently takes antidepressants. In middle-aged women, this number goes up to 1 in 4 (1). These …
- Add These Three Ingredients To Your Shampoo And Say Goodbye To Hair Loss Forever
We usual associate hair loss with men, but it can actually be a really big problem for women. In fact, …
- 8 Ways Working The Night Shift Hurts Your Health. Here’s What You Can Do About It
The U.S. has become a country requiring workers, 24×7. We can shop for groceries at 2:00 a.m., we can speak with …
- Just 8 Weeks of Meditation Is Enough To Increase Gray-Matter In Your Brain
Just eight weeks of practicing meditation can spark measurable changes in brain regions associated with memory, stress, sense of self and …
- Taking Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs Can Cause THESE 4 Serious Nutritional Deficiencies
Cholesterol is the word on every doctor’s lips when their patient reaches a certain age or weight. Their patients are …
- These Illustrations Show What It’s Like To Suffer From Anxiety And Depression
Depression and anxiety are extremely common mental illnesses, but they’re very poorly understood by society in general. Because of social …
- 4 Antiviral Herbs And How To Use Them
The virus is a different creature than the bacteria. Some people find viruses “scarier” because antibiotics have no effect on …
- 18 Green Smoothie Recipes To Trim Your Waist And Keep You Energized
A good diet is only ever as good as the results it yields– and the foods it allows you to …
- 4 Ways To Keep Your Thyroid Gland Healthy
Many people have questions when it comes to the purpose and function of the thyroid. This small gland can have …
- THIS Is Why Mountain Dew Is Terrible For You (Never Drink This Ever Again!)
Despite the increasing awareness of the harms of soda, Mountain dew is a still a popular drink among children and …
- When a Liver Transplant Didn’t Cure Him…This 63-Year-Old Grandpa Used Cannabis Oil To Beat Cancer
A 63-year-old grandpa and retired builder from Hastings, East Sussex, England, says he cured himself of liver cancer by taking …
- Guaranteed! Whiten Your Yellow Teeth In Less Than 2 Minutes!
Every picture in every magazine seems to show people with beautifully aligned, white teeth. While Photoshop likely has a hand …
- If You Ever Get Stuck In a Sinking Car, THIS Is What You MUST Do To Survive!
The idea of drowning is terrifying. Sadly, in many cases, drownings could have been easily avoided if the victim had …
- 8 Habits of Unhappy People You Need To Avoid At All Cost
Happiness is something we all want. Sometimes, it’s easy to achieve. Especially when everything in your life seems to be …
- 5 Outstanding Ways To Use Raw Honey And Coconut Oil Together
Raw Honey and coconut oil are some of the most versatile foods available. Not just because of their nutritional values …