Cancer is universal. No matter where you’re from or who you are, everyone hates the disease equally. It’s one of those rare things that humanity as whole can agree with; cancer is bad.
Cancer is the second leading cause of death globally, and was responsible for an estimated 9.6 million deaths in 2018. Globally, about 1 in 6 deaths is due to cancer.
If you or someone you know was affected by this sickness, then you know just how challenging and scary daily life becomes. Even more so, if you had to deal with colon cancer, which is the 2nd deadliest type of cancer.
Mainstream medicine such as chemotherapy, radiation or surgery are rendered useless when faced with this disease. In some cases, they can make you sicker because they weaken your body’s natural immune system and that sometimes can cause the cancer to spread.
Fortunately, not all hope is lost. There’s a simple thing you can do to reduce your risk of dying from colorectal cancer by 36 percent. It’s a morning staple that you probably already enjoy and if that’s not the case, you’ll want to start taking it.
Can you guess what it is?
If you guessed coffee, then you’re correct. Believe it or not, recent research actually found that drinking coffee regularly can help reduce your risk of developing colorectal cancer.
The study published in JAMA Oncology had 1,171 participants with advanced colorectal cancer.
The researchers founds that mild coffee drinkers (2-3 cups/day) had an 18 percent reduction in risk of dying over the study period. And those that took four cups of coffee a day had a 36 percent reduction of death and a 22 percent reduction in cancer progression. In addition, the protective benefit of coffee held, regardless of whether patients drank caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee.
There are many other coffee studies that have shown its protective properties against colorectal cancer. While coffee is a great start and easy enough to implement, it’s clearly not the only way to support your body against cancer.
6 Anti-cancer Gut Health Tips
1. Vitamin C contributes to immune defense by supporting various cellular functions of your immune system.
2. Ginseng is an herb that has numerous studies demonstrating its cancer fighting properties.
3. Turmeric is also an herb with anti-cancer properties and has been shown to help with breast cancer, bowel cancer, stomach cancer, and skin cancer cells.
4. Mushrooms are known for their immune-modulating and anti-tumour properties. They are naturally rich in beta-glucans, which is responsible for the immune-modulating effects.
5. You can never get enough fiber. This will not only help with regular bowel movements, but will also feed the good bacteria living in your gut.
6. Throwing away junk food is probably the most obvious item on this list. The less processed foods you eat, the better your gut health.