Your dentist is right, you’re brushing your teeth wrong.
Most people choose to either brush their teeth from side to side or in a circular motion, but research shows that a combination of the methods is most effective in prevent plaque buildup.
What Is Plaque ?
According to Web MD, plaque develops when foods containing carbohydrates (sugars and starches), such as milk, soft drinks, raisins, cakes, or candy are frequently left on the teeth.
Bacteria that live in the mouth thrive on these foods, and begin to produce an acid which wears down tooth enamel (1).
Brushing gets rid of most plaque, but the bristles on your tooth brush can’t get in between your teeth. This area is also prone to plaque build-up and cavities. That’s why it’s important to floss once a day (2).
Why Is Oral Hygiene Important ?
Accumulated plaque leads to gingivitis, an inflammatory disease known to cause tooth loss or infection (3).
Symptoms of gingivitis include:
- Swollen, sore gums
- Receding gums
- Gums that bleed easily when you brush or floss
- A change in the color of your gums from a healthy pink to dusky red
- Bad breath
Left untreated, gingivitis develops into periodontal disease, a chronic infectious condition which affects the teeth, gums and mouth. Approximately 34% Americans over the age of 30 suffer from the disease (4).
Peridontal disease can lead to potentially life-threatening systemic diseases like heart disease and diabetes (5).
The Best Way To Brush Your Teeth
- Hold the toothbrush sideways against your teeth with some of the bristles touching your gums.
- Roll or flick the brush so that the bristles move out from under the gum toward the biting edge of the tooth.
- Do this for about 3-4 strokes or circles on each tooth.
- As you move form one tooth to the other, make sure to overlap slightly onto the tooth you’ve just cleaned.
- Repeat for every tooth.
- To clean the inside of your mouth, move up and down onto each tooth.
This technique, called the Modified Bass method, is proven to be 3 times more effective than normal brushing practices (6).
Other Things To Keep In Mind
Dentists suggest that you brush your teeth twice a day: once when you wake up and before going to bed. Brushing too hard can damage your gums and cause them to recede (7).
To avoid to damage, hold your toothbrush the same way you hold a pen and use an extra-soft bristle brush. Brush for at least two minutes.
It’s best to brush your teeth after flossing to get a deeper clean. Don’t forget to also brush your tongue and rinse with water to get rid of as much bad bacteria as possible.
- Top 11 Reasons Why Your Metabolism Isn’t Working at 100%
In spite of all the information and all the prescriptions offered by modern diets, people just keep getting fatter. This …
- Professor of Plant Biology Destroys Roundup in 3 Minutes
Who is Dr. Don M. Huber? For 50 years, he’s been a scientist studying plant diseases in the U.S. and …
- Store-Bought “100% Parmesan Cheese” Has Everything BUT Parmesan…Here’s What You Need To Know
You’d think that products made in the United States have to have accurate labels, right? Well, the FDA has issued …
- Tommy Chong of ‘Cheech & Chong’ Fame: “I’m Cancer-Free” Thanks to Hemp Oil and The Right Diet
Cancer is metaphorically our generation’s new “four letter word.” No one wants to even discuss it, let alone be told …
- Marathon Runners Put Winning Aside To Honor World War II Veteran
“Thanks for your service,” utters one racer after the next as they stop in their tracks mid-race to give 95-year-old …
- Homemade Essential Oil Laundry Powder You Can Make In Minutes For Clean Fresh-Smelling Clothes
There are three types of label-readers: never, sometimes, and always. When it comes to food, there has been quite a …
- FDA Bans Antibacterial Soaps; “No Scientific Evidence” They’re Safe or Effective
Drop the antibacterial soaps – The FDA is recommending it. The Association has announced a ban on 19 ingredients in …
- 5 Signs You’re Holding Onto Negative Energy (And How To Let It Go)
Negative energy is like a poison that slowly but consistently steals your joy. If you’re surrounded by negative people at …
- How To Naturally Improve Your Eyesight With These 16 Eye Exercises
Laser surgery and glasses aren’t the only ways to maintain your eyesight. Similar to how working out keeps your body fit, regular exercise …
- How To Grow Tangerines At Home – It’s Easier Than You Think!
Tangerines are like little balls of sunshine that brighten up your fruit bowl. But tangerines are often GMO and travel …
- This French Supermarket Found a New Way to Sell “Ugly” Produce – And Watched Business Skyrocket!
Let’s face it: we’re superficial food snobs. What food looks like is almost as important to us as how it …
- Doctor Sells His Practice in New Jersey, Buys Organic Farm & Begins Treating Patients Himself
Let food be thy medicine has never seemed so appropriate. Following the natural food trend, New Jersey doctor Robert Weiss …
- This 1 Ingredient Is All You Need To Take Your Dirty Sink From This To THIS
When was the last time you gave your kitchen sink a good cleaning? If you hate seeing hard water stains, then it …
- What Happens If You Drink Water With Honey On An Empty Stomach!
Honey is often used to enhance the flavor of hot and cold beverages. It’s also used to increase the nutritional value …
- 17 Provocative Drawings Made by People Living with Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is a terrible brain disorder to live with. Symptoms can include everything from hearing voices, to abnormal social behaviors, and losing …