Beets are good for you – an excellent source of nutrition, high in fiber and low in calories, they make a great addition to anyone’s diet.
But this root vegetable may have even more important health benefits – including helping our bodies fight off cancer.
Comparisons To Cancer Drugs
“Previous cancer chemo prevention studies… have demonstrated that the extract of red beetroot (Beta vulgaris L.), the FDA-approved red food color E162, can be effective in suppressing the development of multi-organ tumors in experimental animals,” one study explains.
“To further this finding, we have compared the cytotoxic effect of the red beetroot extract with anticancer drug doxorubicin (adriamycin) in the androgen-independent human prostate cancer cells (PC-3) and in the well-established estrogen receptor-positive human breast cancer cells.”(1)
Both beetroot and the commonly-used cancer drug had similar effects on the growth of tumors – decreasing the rate of tumor growth in just three days.
How It Works
According to the study, “The results suggest that betanin, the major betacyanin constituent, may play an important role in the cytotoxicity exhibited by the red beetroot extract.”
In other words, the chemo protective effects of beetroot extract are likely due to a specific nutrient in beetroot known as betanin.
Making The Links With Previous Studies
This isn’t the first study that’s linked betanin to the inhibition of tumor growth – an early study in 1996, published in the journal Cancer Letters, linked dietary beetroot ingestion to slower tumor growth(2). Yet another study, this one from 1992, found that beet fiber had a protective effect on colon cancer in rats(3).
Beetroot Juice And Exercise: A Powerful Combination
Beets are an excellent source of nitrate, which has been known to improve exercise performance.
One study showed that beetroot juice consumption could markedly improve the athletic performance of healthy men(4).
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is key to preventing, treating, and surviving many diseases, including various forms of cancer(5) – in improving exercise performance, beetroot exhibits yet another potential means of helping us defeat this life-threatening disease.
Getting Your Daily Dose Of Beetroot
Beetroot juice is good for athletic performance, but for fighting cancer there’s anecdotal evidence that points towards concentrated beetroot extract being the way to go.
It’s best to consult with your physician before starting to take concentrated beetroot extract regularly, though, especially if you’re currently being treated for cancer – natural remedies should always be undertaken with the supervision of a doctor.[mks_toggle title=”sources” state=”close “]
- Fabulous Flax: Delicious Recipes To Boost Omega-3 Intake
Flax seeds are well known for their wide array of health benefits. High in omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and antioxidants, …
- Only Two Servings a Week Of This Food Will Protect You From Breast Cancer
Out of all the different types of fats your body needs, omega-3 fatty acids are one of the most important …
- When You Find Out What Banana Peels Can Do To Your Waistline, You’ll Stop Throwing Them Away!
People throw away banana peels all the time thinking that only the flesh contains all the good stuff. But that’s simply not …
- Drinking This ONE Fruit Everyday Does Amazing Things For Your Arteries And Blood Pressure
Several studies have been done on the efficacy of pomegranate juice in reducing oxidative stress and improving overall heart health, …
- Her Family Stopped Eating Sugar for A Year, and This is What Happened
(Originally Written by Eve O. Schaub) Once upon a time, I was healthy; at least I thought I was. Sure, …
- This Is How Processed Foods Affect Your Gut Microbiome In The Long-Run
It’s no secret that modern Western diets aren’t ideal, but exactly how diets high in processed foods can impact our …
- Jaw-Dropping Study Shows Garlic Kills Brain Cancer Cells Without Any Dangerous Side Effects
Garlic has a long history of medicinal and therapeutic uses, from treating the common cold to lowering blood pressure. …
- Good Morning News: 5 Health Benefits of Coffee
America’s love affair with coffee is no secret. Many cannot imagine beginning their day without the morning pick-me-up from the …
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Should Have Bone Broth At Least Once a Week
An old South American proverb says, “A good broth will resurrect the dead.” Perhaps that is a bit of melodrama, …
- Bacteria That Causes Tooth Decay, Acne, Tuberculosis and Pneumonia Can Be Killed By This One Seed
Gram positive bacteria, which cause tooth decay, acne, tuberculosis, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Francisella tularensis, and leprosy are all killed by anacardic …
- Study Exposes The Exact Effect of Energy Drinks On The Heart (And It’s Not Pretty!)
Energy Drinks have been found to cause irreversible damage to tooth enamel and detrimentally affect the contraction of the heart. …
- 5 Herbs Your Liver Wished You’d Start Eating More Often (Or At Least Try!)
Good healthy herbs for liver function is essential. The liver is the largest solid organ in our bodies. It can …
- A Meal With More Than 58% of Its Calories Coming From Saturated Fats Is Harmful To Your Heart
In recent times, saturated fats has become more acceptable. Many studies have shown that foods high in saturated fats such …
- Beware of Emulsifiers Like ‘Soy Lecithin’ Used In Processed Foods…It’s Hurting Your Gut Health!
According to a study from Georgia State University(1), there is a common ingredient in most supermarket food that may be …
- Eating Processed Junk Food Makes You Fat and Lazy, Study Suggests
What you eat affects everything about you: energy level, mood, how you look, and overall health. If you pay attention, …