What are the best exercises to burn belly fat? A common question in the world of fitness.
Belly fat is typically a mix of subcutaneous and visceral fat. According to Web MD, visceral or “deep” fat wraps around the inner organs and is considered to be a major health hazard. It plays a role in insulin resistance and increases risk of diabetes.
Leptin, a hormone released by belly fat, plays a role in appetite regulation but also in learning and memory. This makes it harder to control your food cravings and can affect your cognitive abilities. In fact, people with larger bellies were found to have an increased risk of dementia. (source) Belly fat can be stubborn and hard to lose, but if you put in the work and change your diet, you can blast away your belly in as little as 14 days.
Belly-Busting Exercise Routine
This routine is split into three levels: beginner, intermediate and advanced. If you can, try to perform all 9 moves every day. If it’s too challenging, start with the beginner moves and work your way up!
1. Butterfly Crunch
Targets: rectus abdominus (“six-pack”)
- Lie on the back with the soles of your feet touching.
- Place them as close to your body as comfortable.
- Put your hands behind your head and lift your chest a few inches off the floor.
- Make sure not to lift your lower back off the floor.
- Slowly lower yourself back to the floor.
- Continue for 10 reps and do three sets