Snoring can be a major problem when it comes to sleeping, both for the snorer and their spouse. How do you stop snoring naturally? Here are 8 simple tips to help you.
1. Sleep on Your Side
One of the simplest ways to stop snoring is to change your sleep position. When you sleep on your back “the base of your tongue and the soft palate collapse to the back wall of your throat,” according to WebMD.
This results in the vibrating sound associated with snoring. If you are having trouble maintaining this position then some suggestions have been to use a full body pillow which encourages you to sleep on your side.
2. No Alcohol Before Bed
Not only can alcohol encourage snoring but it has also been found to have negative effects on sleep apnea and some people who snored before without this condition showed signs of it after drinking alcohol before bed .
3. Control Allergens in Your Home and Bedroom
Another problem that may be contributing towards your snoring are allergens in your home, in your bedroom or in your pillows. Try changing your pillows, make sure everything is well dusted and keep pets out of the bedroom.
4. Clear Your Nasal Passages Before Bed
Snoring may often occur when you have colds, flu or other nasal problems whereby the nasal passages become blocked. Try taking a hot shower or using a saltwater rinse to clear nasal passages before bed if the snoring seems to be coming from your nose.
5. Stay Well Hydrated
We’ve all heard of the importance of drinking plenty of water and keeping hydrated and it is no different when it comes to snoring. Not being properly hydrated can actually lead to more snoring. So make sure you are getting enough water daily.
6. Stop Smoking
Smoking increases your risk of both snoring and sleep apnea by inflaming your nasal passages and causing other throat issues. If you currently smoke and want to stop snoring then try giving up cigarettes . Not only can smoking cause snoring but also a host of other, more serious, diseases and disorders.
7. Use Herbal Remedies and Aromatherapy
A number of herbs and essential oils can assist with relieving snoring and the advantage with these is that often they don’t only treat the symptoms but also the cause. Herbs that open up the airways such as Echinacea and Fenugreek and others such as ginger can be particularly helpful in combating snoring.
8. Try a Mouth Guard or Other Stop-Snoring Equipment
Some people have had success using a mouth guard to stop snoring which helps to support the mouth and jaw. Speak to your doctor or dentist about what options may be available to you and what would work best in your specific situation.
Snoring can be a real problem when it comes to getting a good night’s rest and result in fatigue and problems during the day. Try these natural solutions to stop snoring and get some good rest.[mks_toggle title=”sources” state=”close “]
- Stress Less: How to Eliminate Stress in Your Work Life
What can you do when work stress feels overwhelming and uncontrollable? There are many steps you can take to eliminate …
- 6 Simple Lifestyle Tips For A Happier, Healthier Liver
Your liver is essential to your overall health. This large organ works by filtering and processing blood as it circulates through the …
- The Healing Coconut Lemon Pudding Anyone With Joint Pain Needs To Eat
Who knew that lemon pudding can actually help you manage arthritis? Joint pain is not only extremely painful, it is …
- 5 Diseases Proven To Respond Better To Cannabis Than Prescription Drugs
The list of diseases and conditions that are effectively treated–and sometimes cured–by cannabis is ever growing. The stigma resulting from …
- Peanut Oil Hiding in Popular Cleaning and Personal Care Products
Some people are so intensely allergic to peanuts that the smell from someone else’s breath can cause a reaction–sometimes a …
- Store-Bought “100% Parmesan Cheese” Has Everything BUT Parmesan…Here’s What You Need To Know
You’d think that products made in the United States have to have accurate labels, right? Well, the FDA has issued …
- Painless Trick To Remove Stubborn Splinters In Your Skin Using Only a Bottle
There’s nothing quite like a stubborn splinter to ruin your day. The smaller they are, the harder they are to get …
- Amazing Home Remedies for Treating Acne!
No one likes to have acne on their face. While it’s a natural condition that occurs during our teenage years, …
- The Surprising Cause of Skin Cancer (And No, It’s Not Too Much Sun!)
Melanoma is one of the most common cancers to affect Americans. The Skin Cancer Foundation reports that “Over the past …
- This Is How Often You Should Clean These 15 Household Items
How often do you clean household items? If you’re like most Americans, you probably clean at least once a week …
- Annie’s Sells Out to GMO Giant General Mills. Here’s What You’re Not Being Told.
Health- and environmentally-conscious consumers look specifically for natural and organic foods at the grocery store. When we find something we …
- Burn Bay Leaves in the House and See What Happens After 10 Minutes!
If you’ve ever stepped inside a yoga studio or new age book shop, you may have noticed that these places …
- Yikes! This Medical Condition Can Cut Your Life Short by as Much as 8 Years
Researchers say extremely obese people can expect to die about eight years earlier than healthier people. The study, conducted by …
- Scarlet Fever is Back and Every Parent Needs to Watch Out for These Warning Signs
Scarlet fever is an infection of Streptococcus A bacteria and accompanies “strep throat”. Its incidence has reduced drastically over the …
- How One Cup of Mushrooms Can Fight Thyroid Imbalances, Cancer And Vitamin D Deficiencies
You hear a lot of talk about the “thyroid” when the subject of weight comes up. Women, especially seem to …