Even with healthy food, there can be too much of a good thing.
Watch your intake of these healthy foods to ensure that you’re not getting too much of them, or doing more harm than good!
The result of overdoing it with carrots isn’t necessarily harmful, but it is kind of embarrassing and a little bizarre.
Beta carotene, the phytochemical that gives carrots their orange color, is fat soluble, which means your body can store it to use later.
The downside? Too much beta carotene and your skin can actually start to turn orange! This is most common in babies and children, but can also happen to adult carrot junkies.
2. Tuna Fish
Large fish like tuna that happily sit at the top of the food chain tend to contain a lot of mercury, due to the accumulated effects of eating fish that eat other fish.
Raw tuna is a particular culprit, but canned tuna and cooked fresh tuna can also contain dangerous levels of mercury. The result can be mercury poisoning in you if you eat more than 6 ounces of tuna per week. People who are pregnant, in particular, should avoid tuna entirely.
Familiar with the jittery feeling that comes from too much coffee? Really overdoing it on the caffeine can amplify this effect until it’s truly harmful.
Too much caffeine, whether from coffee, tea, or energy drinks and supplements, can cause heart palpitations, dizziness, confusion, and even heart attacks.
4. Star Fruit
Normal consumption of this fruit is just fine, but large amounts can trigger what’s known as “Star Fruit poisoning.”
Symptoms include vomiting, hiccups, low blood pressure, weakness, convulsions, and, in extreme cases, kidney failure. These symptoms all occur because star fruit acts as a depressant on the central nervous system, similar to alcohol.
5. Kombucha Tea
Often taken for its probiotic powers, kombucha tea can have some unexpected side effects when consumed in excess. First, the lactic acid in kombucha can actually trigger panic attacks in people who are sensitive to it.
Additionally, there is a small but very much present amount of alcohol in kombucha.
While you would have to drink a lot of kombucha to get anything approaching a hangover, it’s still important to be aware of. Moreover, home-brewed kombucha can be easily contaminated by mold and bacteria.
Over-hydrating can do a serious number on your body. When you drink too much water without also replacing electrolytes like sodium and potassium, the fluid in your cells and in your blood can become too diluted.
This means that the cells won’t function properly, because they can’t send electrical signals. Untreated, water intoxication can be fatal.
While the medical literature only contains two examples of fatal nutmeg overdose, the effects of eating too much can certainly be unpleasant – especially if you’re not expecting them!
Taken in large amounts, nutmeg can actually cause hallucinations, and, understandably, fear and anxiety. Stick to regular use as a seasoning, though, and you should be fine.
Have you ever overdosed on a healthy food? Share your experience with us in the comments section.