For the most part, cattle in America are seen not as animals or living, breathing entities, but as commodities—products to be bought and sold for consumption.
So, in many cases, the mistreatment of these commodities doesn’t get a second thought. Large-scale producers are interested in raising the most profitable product for the lowest cost, and this means feeding them some pretty strange stuff.
Here are 6 things farmers are feeding the cows of today – and you will be shocked.
This one is not a surprise, as the use of antibiotics in cattle feed is well-known and a frequent point of controversy. Just how much? A few years ago, the FDA tried to quantify how much drugs we feed cattle and came up with 29 million pounds of antibiotics in 2009.
A report from the Union of Concerned Scientists put the figure at 24.6 million back in 2001, but they were only looking at non-therapeutic antibiotics. In total, they believe the true figure is closer to 50 million pounds of antibiotics each year.
2. Roly, Poly Fish Heads
Fish and seafood byproducts like crab, shrimp, and fish guts are considered a “good” source of cheap protein and are ground up into a meal that can be mixed with other feeds.
This isn’t a new idea, but it isn’t widespread either, used most often by farmers and ranchers on the coasts, according to Mother Jones.
3. Chicken Feces
Nothing like recycling waste from other parts of the farm! In a recent OnEarth story, Brad Jacobson revealed cattle farmers are increasingly feeding their livestock chicken poop.
This questionable meal might contain features, bacteria, antibiotics, and heavy metals, and may even promote the spread of disease like mad cow.
4. Ground Rock
Limestone, a rock, makes for great calcium and seems to promote growth, according to some research. One study suggested cows that eat limestone have more “desirable carcasses”, whatever that means. We should probably stick to grass.
A feed ingredient that may be catching on due to its inexpensive nature, sawdust is technically plant material and after being soaked in nitric acid, it becomes digestible. So cows now eat it.
In an effort to slash costs and increase profits, livestock corporations have now begun feeding their cattle super cheap processed foods like cookies, gummy worms, chocolate, fruit loops and a whole list of candies.
Wrappers and all, some farmers are finding cheap candy can provide a great source of sugar for cattle, which provides energy and makes them fatter.
The practice of feeding candy to cattle began when corn prices skyrocketed. And rather than mess with unwrapping each piece for Bessie, wrappers are left on to save time. “I think it would pass through just like excess fiber would,” said one nutrition expert from Tennessee.
The diet of the average American isn’t that great, but the diet of the average American cow is far worse. Their health is an afterthought in this age of production and consumption.
- Warning: Never Go To Bed Wearing THIS On Your Wrist or You Could End Up In a Hospital For Surgery
A lot of women do this daily without a second thought. They wear their hair bands on their wrist. If nobody ever told you, …
- Florida Dad Invents a Bed To Minimize The Risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
After becoming a father, a Florida man has created a new infant safety bed that may significantly reduce the risk of …
- A Tablespoon of This Household Ingredient Is All You Need To Remove Bacteria From Your Food
There are many tips and tricks you need to know to prepare clean, healthy food. Whether you purchase conventional or …
- He Pours Vinegar In His Toilet Tank and Flushes. The Result is Genius!
Of out all the chores that need to be done regularly, the most unpleasant and tedious one is cleaning the …
- How to Make Your Own Air Freshener That Doesn’t Cause Cancer or Disrupt Your Hormones
There is nothing like the smell of fresh, clean spring air after a long, cold winter. Spring makes you want …
- Dangerous Chemicals Lurking In Milk Cartons And Pizza Box Finally Get Banned By The FDA
Have you ever wondered how they made milk cartons and pizza boxes resistant to oil and water? While some natural …
- Breastfeeding Boosts Your Baby’s Immune System And Lowers Your Risk of Ovarian And Breast Cancer
Breastfeeding isn’t easy for most new mothers, but science is suggesting that it’s a struggle worth pushing through. When it …
- Dove’s ‘Real’ Beauty Products Are Filled With Cancer-Causing Chemicals, Fake Dyes and Toxic Fragrance
In one sense the marketing gurus of Dove beauty and skin care products hit the nail on the head. They …
- Stress Less: How to Eliminate Stress in Your Work Life
What can you do when work stress feels overwhelming and uncontrollable? There are many steps you can take to eliminate …
- 15 Reasons Why You NEED To Make Ginger Syrup And How To Use It Every Day (With Recipe!)
Ginger is probably one of the most widely used culinary spices in the world. It brings life to so many …
- 10 Signs That You Aren’t Taking Care of Yourself
Attaining inner peace is perhaps one of life’s greatest challenges. As social creatures, we depend on others to survive and …
- Turmeric and Honey Together Make A Powerful Natural Antibiotic
Turmeric is a rhizome in the ginger family. Its flavor and color add depth to Asian cuisines. Turmeric and honey, …
- Warning Signs Your Magnesium, Potassium and Calcium Levels Are OFF and How To FIX It!
You might have noticed that working out or sweating excessively may leave you feeling tired and dehydrated even when you …
- Get Rid of Headaches And Reduce Swelling With This 2-Ingredient Remedy
There’s a particular kind of headache that’s especially painful and persistent – sinus headaches are among the most common types …
- The Exact Herbs You NEED To Heal Anything From Insomnia To Inflammation! (Quick Guide)
Herbs and spice were the first line of medical defense for our ancestors. Long before there were antibiotics and prescription …