The connection between stroke and atrial fibrillation can be a life or death matter.
According to the National Stroke Association, if someone suffers from atrial fibrillation (afib), he or she is 5 times more likely to have a stroke .
The good news is that afib and the effects of a stroke are treatable. However, if you don’t know you have afib, or you don’t know that you’ve suffered a stroke (yes, it’s possible), you can’t be treated for it.
Here are the top 6 signs associated with stroke and atrial fibrillation.
1. You’re Having Irregular Heart Palpitations.
Since atrial fibrillation is an irregular heartbeat, or arrhythmia, it makes sense that heart palpitations are a sign of afib. If you experience a sudden and unexplained fluttering (‘butterflies’), racing, or a pounding feeling in your chest , it could be a sign of atrial fibrillation, and you should contact your doctor.
2. You’re Confused.
Confusion and short-term memory loss are signs of a stroke, according to the National Stroke Association . These symptoms may lead to a person wandering and getting lost in otherwise familiar areas. The victim may also suddenly have difficulty with financial transactions and following instructions.
3. You Have Trouble Understanding Others.
A person who is suddenly having a hard time speaking, or is slurring his or her speech, may have recently suffered a stroke. Difficulty speaking, as well as difficulty understanding what others are saying, are serious signs , and medical attention should be sought immediately.
4. You Feel Dizzy/Light-Headed.
According to the National Institutes of Health, a sign of atrial fibrillation is an onset of dizziness, or a fainting spell. This occurs because afib causes the ventricles in the heart’s lower chambers to contract more quickly than normal, and that prevents them from properly filling with blood. Dizziness can occur for a myriad of other reasons, but if you experience dizziness or fainting combined with other listed symptoms, consult your doctor.
5. You Have a Terrible Headache.
Most headaches are not cause for concern, and can be attributed to a variety of things, including caffeine withdrawal, stress and anxiety, or sinus congestion. However, a headache that comes on instantly, and is excruciating, could be a sign of hemorrhaging in the brain , and you should seek medical help immediately.
6. You’re Experiencing Temporary Paralysis, Numbness and Weakness.
Sudden numbness and weakness, and sometimes paralysis, are all indicators of a stroke. The feeling can originate in the face, leg or arm, and is often felt on just one side of the body. Seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms, because, according to the Center for Disease Control, stroke treatment is most effective when it begins within three hours of the manifestation of the first symptoms .
Multiple Onset Symptoms
Often, stroke symptoms come in clusters, and they come on suddenly. Aside from those already listed, other symptoms of a stroke can include double vision, tingling, and loss of balance.
Atrial fibrillation also has symptoms other than those listed. These can include a combination of any of the following: pain in the jaw, arm or neck, sweating, and general fatigue .
Many of the symptoms and signs associated with stroke and atrial fibrillation can be explained away when considered separately. However, when several symptoms are being experienced simultaneously, it’s important that you seek medical attention immediately.[mks_toggle title=”sources” state=”close “]
- The 20 Cancer Symptoms Women Are Most Likely To Ignore
Most people are afraid of getting cancer, but very few actually take the time to educate themselves about the symptoms. …
- Why You Should Stop Using Vaseline Immediately And How To Make Your Own Non-Petroleum Jelly
Vaseline is a petroleum-based jelly that’s basically a byproduct of the oil industry. But did you know that prolonged use of petroleum jelly …
- Say Goodbye To Ear Infection! Here’s How to Cure An Ear Infection Naturally in Just 1 Day!
Ear infections are one of the most common ailment children and adults suffer chronically. This is especially true for people …
- How To Make Smudge Sticks That Eliminate Negative Energy And Stress From Any Space
Ancient healers used the power of plants to heal both physical and spiritual ailments thousands of years ago. Today, the …
- Why Turmeric, Olive Oil And Black Pepper Make For a Powerful Cancer-Fighting Drink
Cancer is one of the most frightening diseases of our age. Everyone knows someone who’s had cancer, and it’s scary …
- 9 States Awaiting Marijuana Legislation in 2014
There are currently 21 states where marijuana is now legal, as of late March when Utah passed a bill to …
- Women Who Jump At Least 10X a Day Show Greater Hipbone Density Than Those Who Don’t
Anyone for a spot of bone jarring? As it has been proven that bones should, and need to be jarred …
- Is Your Lack of Sleep Contributing To Your Weight Gain & Depression
A new study has presented findings showing that the root cause of obesity may be caused initially by a person’s …
- Medical Marijuana Is Legalized Across The Entire Continent Of Australia!
History was made this month for the people Down Under. The Australian parliament passed a bill to amend the current …
- 7 Conditions that are Caused by Sleeping with Wet Hair
If you find yourself frequently sleeping with wet hair, you may think twice after reading this. You won’t magically wake …
- How To Cleanse Your Kidneys Almost Instantly Using This Natural Home Drink
Your kidneys are constantly filtering your blood, making sure that waste products exit your body from urine. When you live …
- These US Politicians Support GMOs Yet Dine On Organic At Home
American politicians are known for being untruthful and having questionable morals. When it comes to food, politics can get pretty ugly. …
- 15 Ingredients To Supercharge Your Smoothies To FIGHT Cancer And Inflammation
You’ve probably already heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. This is because it kick starts …
- Doctors Refused to Give This Woman a Smear Test. 15 Months Later, She Died From Cervical Cancer…
Could you imagine being denied a medical test you requested all due to your age? For poor Sorcha Glenn, this …
- Top 8 Ways Women Can Prevent Urinary Tract Infections
A urinary tract infection or UTI is an infection that happens in the kidneys, ureter, bladder, and/or urethra. A UTI is …