Who doesn’t love having a pet in their lives?
Whether it’s a dog or a cat, having someone around to share your life can make living a whole lot more enjoyable.
You have someone to talk to, someone to play with, and someone who needs you to take care of them.
But did you know that having pets is excellent for your health? Cats, in particular, offer a wide range of health benefits to their owners, including:
1. They Promote Healing
When you hear the sound of a cat purring, you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, just like they do. But according to Leslie A. Lyons, an assistant professor at the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of California, cats can actually speed up healing.
See, cats purr at a specific frequency–somewhere in the 25 to 150 Hertz range. This range of frequencies has been proven to promote healing and may also help to increase bone density as well. If you are recovering from a surgery or an injury, having a cat on your lap is one of the best forms of therapy! The sound of their purr can help you heal all the way to your bones.
2. They Help Control Blood Pressure
According to WebMD, cats (and dogs, of course) are excellent to help you reduce the stress in your life and control your blood pressure.
In one study, 240 married couples were examined. Of the participants, the pet owners not only had lower blood pressure, but their resting heart rates were lower as well. Their heart rates remained lower even when they were subjected to stress tests.
Giving your pet affection has been proven to help lower blood pressure as well, so it’s a good idea to spend time stroking your cat.
3. Your Heart Will Love Them
Did you know that pets can help you to have a healthier heart? We’re not just talking emotionally, but physically as well!
In one study, people who never owned a cat had a 30% higher chance of dying from heart attacks than those who had owned pets at some point in their lives(1).
Pet owners have a much lower rate of death from cardiac attacks than non-pet owners, and they tend to be healthier in regards to the condition of their heart(2).
4. They’re Good for Your Kids
Not only do cats help to encourage your children to be friendlier and more careful in their interactions, but you will find that they will benefit your children’s health in the long run.
In an article published in 2014, the chief of the Division of Allergy and Immunology at the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center stated that having a cat reduces a child’s risk of developing allergies(3).
The more allergens (such as cat hair) children are exposed to at a young age, the less likely they are to become allergic to them as they grow older. Roughly 41% of the children who were free of allergies grew up in homes with pets, but only 8% of children with allergies had been exposed to pets (and their accompanying allergens) at a young age.
5. They Make You More Optimistic
You should know by now that being isolated or lonely can be just as bad for your health as being overweight or smoking. Thankfully, pets can help to combat that problem!
In at least one study published in 1994, pet ownership was proven to decrease loneliness(4). If you feel like you’re alone in the world, there’s nothing to pull you out of that funk like having a cat in your life!
- How To Make Smudge Sticks That Eliminate Negative Energy And Stress From Any Space
Ancient healers used the power of plants to heal both physical and spiritual ailments thousands of years ago. Today, the …
- Do You Easily Get Annoyed By The Sound of Chewing? Apparently THIS Is The Reason Why!
Some people need to be in a quiet space to focus properly while others need absolute dead silence. If you …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- A Survey Was Given to 114 U.S. Doctors About Nutrition. Their Answers Should Be a Huge Wake Up Call for U.S. Healthcare.
Nutrition is pretty basic. You are what you eat and all that. We put our faith in our physicians to …
- Work Before Ten AM Is “Torture”: Here’s How To Have More Energy
Waking up in the morning is easy, but getting out of bed with energy is hard. Since we can’t create …
- How Toxic Is Your Neighborhood’s Air? This Map Knows for Sure.
Technology and humans have a two-way action/reaction relationship. Sometimes technological capacity influences our lives and sometimes we endeavor to devise means …
- How to Limit Noise Induced Hearing Loss
With over 360 million people suffering from disabling hearing loss throughout the world, and 16% of that figure being attributed …
- Green Marijuana-Infused Wine Is Now Being Sold In The U.S.
Wine never goes out of style. Whether it’s reinventing itself with different flavors, colors, packaging (champagne popsicles anyone?) and audiences …
- Get Rid of Foot Pain in Minutes With These 6 Effective Stretches
In Reflexology, the feet are the center of the body: all energy meridians used in acupuncture flow through the feet. …
- 8 Year Old Girl Cured of Terminal Stage 4 Cancer with Diet
A sad story with a happy ending. And all because of a little colored strip of paper. Eight-year-old Josie Nuñez was …
- Children Under The Age of 12 Should Avoid Handheld Devices…Here’s What They Do To Their Brains!
Technology is so ever present in our everyday lives that it’s beginning to make its way into the lives of …
- New Research Finds Cheeseburgers As Bad For You As Smoking
People who are considered ‘middle aged’, which is between the ages of 50-65 years old, that consume a high protein …
- How To Make Detox Foot Pads At Home To Cleanse Your Body Of Toxins
Foot pads have been used and sold in Japan for hundreds of years. Similar to acupuncture, which has a positive effect on people’s energetic systems, …
- High Doses of Vitamin C Selectively Kills Mutant Colorectal Cancer Cells And Impairs Tumor Growth
Colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer in the United States (1). It’s also one of the most aggressive …
- 12 Brands Of Bottled Water That Are Full Of Toxic Fluoride!
We have been brought up to believe that fluoride is not only good for us, but necessary. Dentists promote it …