Who doesn’t love having a pet in their lives?
Whether it’s a dog or a cat, having someone around to share your life can make living a whole lot more enjoyable.
You have someone to talk to, someone to play with, and someone who needs you to take care of them.
But did you know that having pets is excellent for your health? Cats, in particular, offer a wide range of health benefits to their owners, including:
1. They Promote Healing
When you hear the sound of a cat purring, you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, just like they do. But according to Leslie A. Lyons, an assistant professor at the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of California, cats can actually speed up healing.
See, cats purr at a specific frequency–somewhere in the 25 to 150 Hertz range. This range of frequencies has been proven to promote healing and may also help to increase bone density as well. If you are recovering from a surgery or an injury, having a cat on your lap is one of the best forms of therapy! The sound of their purr can help you heal all the way to your bones.
2. They Help Control Blood Pressure
According to WebMD, cats (and dogs, of course) are excellent to help you reduce the stress in your life and control your blood pressure.
In one study, 240 married couples were examined. Of the participants, the pet owners not only had lower blood pressure, but their resting heart rates were lower as well. Their heart rates remained lower even when they were subjected to stress tests.
Giving your pet affection has been proven to help lower blood pressure as well, so it’s a good idea to spend time stroking your cat.
3. Your Heart Will Love Them
Did you know that pets can help you to have a healthier heart? We’re not just talking emotionally, but physically as well!
In one study, people who never owned a cat had a 30% higher chance of dying from heart attacks than those who had owned pets at some point in their lives(1).
Pet owners have a much lower rate of death from cardiac attacks than non-pet owners, and they tend to be healthier in regards to the condition of their heart(2).
4. They’re Good for Your Kids
Not only do cats help to encourage your children to be friendlier and more careful in their interactions, but you will find that they will benefit your children’s health in the long run.
In an article published in 2014, the chief of the Division of Allergy and Immunology at the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center stated that having a cat reduces a child’s risk of developing allergies(3).
The more allergens (such as cat hair) children are exposed to at a young age, the less likely they are to become allergic to them as they grow older. Roughly 41% of the children who were free of allergies grew up in homes with pets, but only 8% of children with allergies had been exposed to pets (and their accompanying allergens) at a young age.
5. They Make You More Optimistic
You should know by now that being isolated or lonely can be just as bad for your health as being overweight or smoking. Thankfully, pets can help to combat that problem!
In at least one study published in 1994, pet ownership was proven to decrease loneliness(4). If you feel like you’re alone in the world, there’s nothing to pull you out of that funk like having a cat in your life!
- Simple 3-Step Technique To Relieve Stiff Neck Pain In Just 90 Seconds
Most stiff necks occur from sleeping in an awkward position. It can also be caused by improper posture. Neck stiffness …
- These Foods Make Cancer Cells Grow In Your Body! Stop Eating Them Right Now!
We’ve come to know, through medical research and ancestral wisdom, that there are foods that contain certain nutrients that prevent …
- 70-Year-Old Man Reveals Secret To Staying Physically and Mentally Fitter Than People Half His Age
Stephen Jepson may be one of the most creative and active people you will ever meet, especially at his age. …
- This Natural Food Could End The Use of Harmful Pesticides And There’s Already a Patent For It
This article first appeared on JeffereyJaxen. Humanity is facing a toxicity problem as our immediate environment becomes increasingly riddled with pesticides. They are …
- Homemade Ginger Oil To Replace Pain Pills, Cough Syrup, Antibiotics And More!
It’s almost impossible to list all the benefits and uses of ginger. This highly medicinal rhizome is a potent anti-inflammatory, …
- She Put Cabbage Leaves On Her Knee At Night – See The Results After a Month
It’s no surprise that many of the foods you know and eat everyday often have surprising healing properties. And while …
- 14 Reasons Why You Should Drink Lemon Water First Thing In The Morning
It’s nearly impossible to wake up from a long night’s sleep without feeling at least a little thirsty. And since …
- Here’s Why Enameled Cast Iron Cookware Is The Best
What you cook your food in is as important as the food itself. Non-stick and aluminum cookware are known to …
- Selfie Addiction Linked to Narcissism, Low Self Esteem & Mental Illness
An award for everything, the word “selfie” won last year’s Oxford English Dictionary’s word of the year: “a photograph that …
- The World’s Oldest Yoga Teacher Reveals Her Secrets to Maintaining a Youthful Mind and Healthy Body
They say yoga keeps you healthy and young; the epitome of that adage is 96-year-old Tao Porchon Lynch. Lynch is …
- Work Before Ten AM Is “Torture”: Here’s How To Have More Energy
Waking up in the morning is easy, but getting out of bed with energy is hard. Since we can’t create …
- Listening To This Before Bed Will Make Your Brain Tingle And Guarantee a Good Night’s Sleep
One of the most relaxing memories of childhood is having your parents whisper soothing lullabies to ease you into sleep. …
- Stop Migraines In Just 5 Minutes With This Awesome Drink
Getting up with a migraine is a horrible way to start the day. The excruciating pain that migraines bring can …
- New Studies Show Taking Tylenol Decreases Your Empathy For Others
We always hear about the never-ending list of adverse side effects from prescribed medications—everything from common and mild issues to …
- How To Make Your Own Plastic-Free and Zero-Waste Mascara
Many ladies like to enhance their facial features by applying make-up—cosmetics sales are a global $500 billion a year industry. …