With every new diet fad comes a new set of rules about how to maintain a healthy diet. Although some of these diets may actually help many people, it is also important to learn what are considered the most scientifically supported guidelines of eating healthy. If you’re looking for long-term results, focus on the following 5 health rules. These are general principles that work well for anyone looking to be healthier, leaner, and live a long active lifestyle.
1. Choose Whole, Unprocessed Foods That Are Nutrient Dense and Filling
You may not be able to entirely avoid processed foods, but you can definitely decide to eat less of it. In general, whole unprocessed food is going to be much higher in nutrients therefore more filling, which makes it more difficult to overeat. Here are some other benefits of maintaining a diet primarily based on whole, filling foods:
- More nutrients. Many of your “whole food” options are going to be grains and vegetables that are full of the vitamins and nutrients that are essential for your overall health. Even better, this type of food has fewer calories in general.
- More natural. Obviously, less processed foods are closer to their natural state, which means that these foods retain more of their original nutrients and fewer refined additives like sugar and fat.
2. Get Enough Quality Protein
Protein is an essential part of any well-rounded diet because it provides sustained energy in addition to several other health benefits. Two primary ways that protein helps you is by promoting weight loss and supporting muscle mass. So if you’re trying to get in better shape, protein should be an integral part of your diet.
Most Americans don’t have too much trouble getting enough protein. Our protein sources include meat, dairy products, beans, and some vegetables. Wherever your protein comes from, make sure that you are choosing lean, high quality proteins in order to get more essential amino acids without the fat.
3. Don’t Avoid Animal Products
Although there has been much discussion on the topic of animal products in our diet, it is generally recommended to eat animal products in order to make sure that your body is getting all of the nutrients it needs (e.g. vitamin B12). It is possible to get all of your nutrients from plant-based foods, but you have to do your research and carefully monitor what food you need to eat.