Antacids are used to suppress heartburn, acid indigestion, burping, stomach bloating, and abdominal discomfort.
Half of all Americans are believed to have taken store-bought antacids at least once in their lifetime (1). Many rely on them frequently.
Recent studies show that although they may temporarily relieve symptoms, antacids may cause more harm than good.
Common side effects include:
1. Diarrhea and Constipation
Stomach acid helps break down and digest food. Proper digestion only happens when you have healthy levels of acid in your stomach.
Antacids neutralize stomach acid. This leads to a vicious cycle: not enough acid means that food isn’t being digested properly. The food had to stay in the stomach longer and more acid must be produced to digest it. This process is called acid rebound (2).
Ironically, heartburn can sometimes be caused by a lack of stomach acid, which only becomes more severe with the use of antacids.
These fluctuations between an over-acidic and over-alkaline environment can lead to more serious digestive issues and nutritional deficiencies.
2. Unwanted Bacteria
Stomach acid kills bad bacteria. Antacids create a more alkaline environment, where bacteria like Helicobacter pylori, the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers, can thrive (3).
This bacteria attacks stomach lining, which can cause internal bleeding. It’s also been know to cause stomach cancer.
3. Weak Bones
Some people actually take antacids because they’re advertised as being a calcium supplement. Ironic, isn’t it?
4. Kidney Stones
Long-term use of nearly any antacid increases the risk for kidney stones (5).
Adults over the age of 60 should remove antacids from their pharmaceutical cabinets and try these remedies instead.
- Lots of People Have Food Allergies – You Could Too
The gluten-free health trend has swept the nation but that’s not the only food allergy around. Believe it or not, …
- Nation’s First Soda Tax Passes In Berkeley, California
Big Soda took a loss on Election Day when voters in Berkeley, California approved a ballot measure that will place …
- Compounds in Marijuana Remove Plaque-forming Alzheimer’s Proteins from Brain Cells
When an established, respected health research institution talks, people listen. The Salk Institute in La Jolla, California has recently published …
- New Federal Study Links Monsanto Chemicals To Widespread Liver Disease In Poisoned Southern Town (Anniston, Alabama)
Mention Monsanto these days and you are sure to get a reaction from almost anyone. The American multinational agrochemical and …
- Watch What Happens When You Drink THIS Beetox Smoothie 5 Days In a Row
Our liver is one of the least discussed organs in the body and happens to also be one of the …
- This Ancient Technology Helps Keep Food Fresh Without Electricity
In North America, we have become completely reliant upon electricity in virtually every aspect of our lives. The supply of …
- How To Test For Low or High Stomach Acid In Seconds With Apple Cider Vinegar
If your stomach is producing too much acid, often you’ll experience symptoms. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD or “acid reflux”) is …
- 420-Pound Man Loses One-Third of His Body Weight by Changing One Habit In His Diet
Losing weight isn’t an easy feat. But it’s certainly rewarding! Maintaining weight loss isn’t just about exercise, it also requires …
- This 70-Year-Old Woman Looks 30 And Reveals Her Eating Secrets
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” – Hippocrates It is in this that Annette Larkins places …
- 4 Telltale Signs Your Body is Flooded With Toxins And How To Fix It!
Nobody likes to think of their body as a poisonous wasteland—nor endure the accompanying symptoms. Read on to discover four …
- Drink This 3-ingredient Tea to Cleanse Your Lungs of Phlegm, Toxins, and Inflammation
Everybody catches a cold and flu from time to time. Some suffer chronic respiratory conditions like asthma, bronchitis, and allergies. Mucus …
- This Is What Tapping THESE Points On Your Body Can Do For You!
Emotions are an essential part of what makes us human. They are at once one of the most enriching elements …
- Simple Recipe To Make Your Own Non-Toxic Bug Repellent!
There’s nothing like a few mosquito bites to ruin your day outside. Not only are bites itchy and annoying, they …
- Medicinal Cannabis Is Slowly Replacing Several Prescription Medications
Since cannabis was legalized for medicinal and recreational purposes in the US, there has been a significant drop in opioid …
- Canadian Clay Kills Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria On Contact
Is healing clay a reasonable treatment option for modern-day ills? It may become one. As we move closer and closer …