Antacids are used to suppress heartburn, acid indigestion, burping, stomach bloating, and abdominal discomfort.
Half of all Americans are believed to have taken store-bought antacids at least once in their lifetime (1). Many rely on them frequently.
Recent studies show that although they may temporarily relieve symptoms, antacids may cause more harm than good.
Common side effects include:
1. Diarrhea and Constipation
Stomach acid helps break down and digest food. Proper digestion only happens when you have healthy levels of acid in your stomach.
Antacids neutralize stomach acid. This leads to a vicious cycle: not enough acid means that food isn’t being digested properly. The food had to stay in the stomach longer and more acid must be produced to digest it. This process is called acid rebound (2).
Ironically, heartburn can sometimes be caused by a lack of stomach acid, which only becomes more severe with the use of antacids.
These fluctuations between an over-acidic and over-alkaline environment can lead to more serious digestive issues and nutritional deficiencies.
2. Unwanted Bacteria
Stomach acid kills bad bacteria. Antacids create a more alkaline environment, where bacteria like Helicobacter pylori, the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers, can thrive (3).
This bacteria attacks stomach lining, which can cause internal bleeding. It’s also been know to cause stomach cancer.
3. Weak Bones
Some people actually take antacids because they’re advertised as being a calcium supplement. Ironic, isn’t it?
4. Kidney Stones
Long-term use of nearly any antacid increases the risk for kidney stones (5).
Adults over the age of 60 should remove antacids from their pharmaceutical cabinets and try these remedies instead.
- How Sugar Messes Up Your Liver and Gives You Diabetes
By now, most of us know that there’s some relationship between eating sugar and type II diabetes. But do you …
- Store-Bought “100% Parmesan Cheese” Has Everything BUT Parmesan…Here’s What You Need To Know
You’d think that products made in the United States have to have accurate labels, right? Well, the FDA has issued …
- The Scientific Power of Naps
Studies have found different benefits—and detriments—to a nap’s timing, duration and even effect on different people, depending on one’s age …
- Aldi Bans Neonicotinoids, Goes Organic, Rivals Whole Foods As Healthiest Grocery Store
Aldi is one of the largest grocery retailers in the world with stores in 18 countries. Founded in Germany in …
- 11 Bad Habits You Can No Longer Get Away With In Your 40s
There are so many wonderful things about turning 40: finally comfortable with who you are; having the maturity you wish …
- 2-Ingredient Remedy To Clear Up Cholesterol Buildup From Blood Vessels In Just 40 Days
“Cholesterol” is probably the most demonized and misunderstood terms in the health world. With the proliferation of cholesterol-moderating drugs and …
- How To Treat An Earache And Infection With Sea Salt And A Warm Sock
Often, some of the best fixes for mild illnesses, come from tried-and-true remedies that have been passed down from generation …
- World’s Most Popular Multivitamin Is Useless And Contains Toxic Chemicals And Artificial Colors
“That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” While this may be true for …
- How To Make Detox Foot Pads At Home To Cleanse Your Body Of Toxins
Foot pads have been used and sold in Japan for hundreds of years. Similar to acupuncture, which has a positive effect on people’s energetic systems, …
- 5 Easy Soaks To Rebalance Good Bacteria And Banish Stinky Feet Forever
No one likes having stinky feet. It can also be pretty embarrassing to have to take off your smelly shoes …
- Warning: Never Go To Bed Wearing THIS On Your Wrist or You Could End Up In a Hospital For Surgery
A lot of women do this daily without a second thought. They wear their hair bands on their wrist. If nobody ever told you, …
- Candida Overgrowth – 12 Things to Avoid If You Have It
Many women suffer from recurrent yeast infections. Candida albicans is a naturally-occurring microorganism (technically, a fungus) that lives in the …
- Before Committing to Glasses Try Blinking Exercises for Better Vision
After visiting your optician for your latest eye checkup, to be told your vision has worsened slightly, are given the …
- 6 Proven Ways to Prevent Varicose Veins
Varicose veins can be very embarrassing and ugly; many people want to find ways to get rid of them. These …
- You Will Never Have To Scrub a Toilet AGAIN if You Make These DIY Toilet Cleaning Bombs
Ever thought of making your own homemade toilet cleaner for your bathroom? Your bathroom isn’t just the most intimate space …