People often forgo cucumbers for the more tasty watermelons during warm weather.
Who can blame them?
While both are refreshing and hydrating, only the watermelon has any real flavor.
Between the ever-dull cucumber and the sweet watermelon, the choice is obvious.
However, cucumbers come in quite handy if you’re trying to manage your weight. Having barely any calories or sugar, this tube-looking veggie makes the perfect food to snack on.
In addition, the skin of cucumbers contain silica, a trace mineral that contributes greatly to strengthening our connective tissues, which can help heal many skin problems, under eye swelling and sunburn. (1)
The challenge is figuring out how to make it enjoyable. Here are 20 creative ways to add cucumbers to your diet.
The following are healthy substitutes you can use for some of the ingredients found in these recipes:
- Plain, raw organic yogurt or plain greek yogurt instead of any yogurt
- Pink Himalayan salt instead of table salt
- Grapeseed oil instead of canola oil
- Soy-free fish sauce instead of regular fish sauce
- Fermented tofu instead of regular tofu
- Stevia instead of sugar (consult conversion charts! Stevia is very sweet so you won’t need as much stevia as you would sugar!). You can also use coconut sugar. You can substitute icing sugar for these alternatives as well.
- Raw, organic butter instead of margarine or regular store butter
- Coconut flour instead of white flour
- Raw milk instead of your average store-bought milk
Click on the name of the recipe to get instructions on how to make these!
It’s no secret that wheat isn’t exactly a health food. High carb pasta and breads may be hard to resist, but they’re easy to replace with more nutrient-dense, low carb options like fresh cucumber or spiralized zucchini.
Contrary to popular belief, soup doesn’t always have to be served hot! Think of this cool soup as an elevated gaspacho with a hint of avocado to give it a creamy texture.
There’s nothing like crab to make you feel like summer’s finally arrived! Serve this simple recipe at your next family barbeque or birthday party to keep your guests refreshed and satisfied..
When you think of cucumbers in salad, you probably think of a plain old garden salad of Greek salad, but there are so many other ways to serve this delicious vegetable. For one, combining it with other high water content foods like watermelon and mango is a sure-fire way to serve up a crowd-pleaser.
Stay refreshed with this crisp summer smoothie. Mint gives this drink a kick of flavour while watermelon adds a touch of sweetness to make you enjoy every sip.
These bite-sized appetizers bring the spiciness and saltiness of antipasto to the crunch and freshness of cucumber. Plus, these little snacks are low in calories, you can indulge without a worry.
This creative vegan twist on “pigs in a blanket” is packed with protein to fill you up without making you feel bloated. Serve them to your kids as an afternoon snack or pack them with your lunch to fight mid-morning hunger.
Lemon water is a great way to make your body more alkaline, but lemon peel can make your water a bit too bitter to really enjoy. Just add a few slices of cucumber into the mix to cancel out this bitterness and make staying hydrated a breeze.
Forget ranch, this simple dip is perfect to compliment a spicy dish or for dipping fresh vegetables. Keep a bit on hand to use as a spread on your favourite sandwiches and wraps.
10. Cucumber Sub
If you’re hungry for a sandwich but you want to skip out on the carbs, replace the bread with cucumber. This also transforms even the most classic sandwiches into gluten-free alternatives. Plus, they’re easy to pack, so simply make one in the morning and take it with you to work.
Although snacking can be a wonderful way to eat your greens, combining the right veggies and fruit in a juice can be just as delicious. This simple tropical recipe is faster and more portable than most of the items on this list, so don’t knock it ‘till you try it!
Fresh and spicy, this low-calorie salad makes a great filling for salad rolls. You can also use it as a palate cleanser before your meal.
Tomatoes may be the classic base vegetables for salsa, but cucumbers work too. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how creamy and fresh this easy salsa can be.
Dip your cucumbers in a cucumber-based dressing to work through an exceptionally bountiful harvest. Although it works wonderfully on any salad, you can also use it as a dip or sauce. This recipe is so good, you’ll want to make a large batch and share it with your friends and family!
Cupcakes don’t typically contain veggies, but this recipe will defy all your expectations. Eat them fresh or frozen and top with a creamy frosting for an extra-special treat!
If you’re having a hard time keeping your fluids up in the summer time, these popsicles may just keep you on track!
Instead of combining yogurt with fruits and oats, pour a bit in a hollowed-out cucumber and sprinkle with toasted nuts or seeds. Better yet, serve it as a side dish on curry night to give your mouth a break from the heat.
This sub-like sandwich is the perfect picnic meal to get your dose of omega-3 fatty acids and protein. For a special touch, add a few sprouts.
Make your next dinner party memorable by adding a few shrimp to the cucumber soup mentioned above. Plus, the combination looks amazing and tastes even better!
If sushi isn’t quite your thing, skip the rice and seaweed by wrapping thinly sliced smoked salmon and cucumber together in these minimalist rolls.
- 2 Tablespoons a Day and Goodbye Belly Fat. This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat Immediately
When was the last time you had a fat burning drink to get rid of all that belly fat? Belly …
- This Fermented Tea Helps You Drop Pounds, Cholesterol Points and Even Manage Blood Sugar Levels
Tea is a common drink in many cultures, consumed socially, privately, as part of rituals, or for its medicinal properties. …
- The Good, Bad and Ugly About GMOs
GMOS, A TERM that’s thrown around all the time but rarely understood, have been taking a lot of flack lately. …
- Prepare Ginger THIS Way to Prevent Cancer, Reduce Cholesterol And Lower Blood Sugar Levels!
How do you like your ginger? Do you stir-fry it, bake with it, or steep it as a tea? There …
- This 3-Ingredient Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Is High In Potassium And Protein
Chocolate cake is one of the most popular indulgences in the world. But anyone who’s ever tried to lose weight …
- How Many Meals Should You Eat Per Day?
Ah, the age-old question of healthy eating. Some say stick to three meals a day, with no snacking. Others say …
- Neurobiologist Discovers THIS Single Food Reduces Your Chance of Alzheimer’s by 75%
Brain diseases are horrible, especially alzheimer’s. It not only robs you of your precious memories and eventually your ability to function …
- Researchers Discover The #1 Anti-Inflammatory Food in The World And It’s Pretty Easy to Come By
Tart cherries have powerful anti-inflammatory benefits. According to new research from Oregon Health & Science University presented at the American …
- Top 10 SuperFoods For Weight Loss
There’s no such thing as a “negative calorie” food, unfortunately, but there are plenty of superfoods that can give your …
- Creative and Better Ways to Eat Your ‘Trees’
A rich source of vitamins and minerals, fiber, flavonoids and cholesterol lowering nutrients makes broccoli quite a super food. However, sometimes …
- Here’s Why Some Ice Cream Sandwiches Don’t Melt Even After 12 Hours In The Sun
Things that make you go hmmm: a young boy leaves his Walmart Great Value Ice Cream Sandwich outside on an …
- Is it Safe to Eat Mango Skin? The Hidden Benefits of Mango Peel
Some produce can be eaten straight out of the garden while others require extensive cleaning, scrubbing and peeling. As you …
- Food Companies Are Doing Everything To Keep This One New Line Off of Nutrition Labels
This should be interesting. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has proposed a new regulation requiring a new line …
- A Green Smoothie That Doesn’t Taste Like Grass!
If you’re looking for a super-clean, super-tasty start to the day when you wake up in the morning, be sure …
- Unhealthy Gut Bacteria Makes It Harder For You To Lose Weight But These 18 Foods Can Fix This!
You might not think much about it but your microbiome actually plays a role in your ability to lose weight and …