Now, an Italian study published in the journal Nutrition and Diabetes has shown that extra virgin olive oil itself may have a positive effect on blood sugar levels and bad cholesterol after meals(3).
Researchers say this could help explain why the Mediterranean diet is linked to such a decreased risk of heart disease.
Limit Dairy and Red Meat
Study author Francesco Violi, a researcher at Sapienza University in Rome, lead the study, which involved testing the effects of adding extra virgin olive oil to a Mediterranean diet. The Mediterranean diet features fruits, vegetables, whole grains and fish, with very limited consumption of dairy and red meat.
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) was compared to corn oil. Blood tests done after study participants consumed a meal prepared with extra virgin olive oil showed that, compared to the group whose meals were prepared with corn oil, the olive oil group’s blood sugar levels rose significantly less.
Results Are In Line With Previous Research
The results of this study are consistent with previous research which has linked extra virgin olive oil to elevated levels of insulin, a hormone that helps convert glucose into energy according to Violi.
What is unclear, however, is why the blood tests showed that participants who consumed the olive oil meals had lower levels of low-density lipoprotein, or LDL – also known as “bad” cholesterol, which can build up in blood vessels and lead to heart disease, blood clots, and atherosclerosis. In that area, more research is needed.
However, the researchers on the study believe that theirs is among the first to link extra virgin olive oil, as used in the Mediterranean diet, to lower blood sugar and LDL cholesterol after meal consumption.
Using Extra Virgin Olive Oil In Your Diet
This study provides many people with a reason to swap out cheaper oils like vegetable and corn oil for EVOO.
The key, researchers say, is to use it in moderation, as part of a balanced diet. This allows the extra virgin olive oil to be used as a source of energy in the context of a balanced lifestyle.
Extra virgin olive oil can be used in salad dressings and also in grilling and preparing food such as fish, which is a staple of the Mediterranean diet.
- Forgiving Others Is Good For Your Mental Health
Are you the kind of person who has a tendency to hold on to a grudge? If so, you could …
- What Happened To This Family After They Started Eating Organic For 2 Weeks Straight Is Amazing!
While numerous studies have been done on the subject of pesticides in food and their impact they can have on …
- Phosphates Artificially Added to Dairy And Cereals For Improved Flavor Can Harm Your Kidneys
Phosphates are artificially added to a number of food products, including dairy and cereal products. These artificially added phosphates cause …
- Loneliness Can Be Just As Bad As Obesity And Heavy Smoking, Study Finds
Did you know that loneliness can be just as dangerous for your health as being overweight or smoking excessively? That …
- Cuba Developed a Lung Cancer Vaccine And It’s Now Heading to The U.S. For Clinical Trials
For the past 55 years, a US-led trade embargo on Cuba has ensured that technological advances made by the country …
- Want To Sleep Better at Night? Spend More Time In Natural Daylight!
Isn’t it annoying when you can’t seem to fall asleep at night? You try and try to get to sleep, …
- Key Witness in Medical Malpractice Cases Blocked By CDC From Testifying
In recent years, controversy has arisen over children’s vaccinations against what used to be common diseases. Vaccination against measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) …
- Soldier Could Face Life in Prison For Growing Marijuana to Treat His PTSD…Here’s What Happened
Between 7 and 8 percent of the US population experiences Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, or PTSD, at some point in their …
- Cannabis Oil Cured Girl’s Leukemia After HPV Vaccine Broke Down Her Body
Did you know that many children who have received the Gardasil vaccine have also been affected by leukemia and other …
- Your Gut Bacteria Produces a Whopping 90% of All Your Body’s Serotonin (a.k.a. The Happy Hormone)
Serotonin, a well-known neurotransmitter which has a significant role to play in mood disorders, migraine disorders, irritable bowel syndrome and …
- 3 Surprising Foods That Help You Burn Fat (No. 2 Is Definitely Something You’ll Want To Try!)
Losing weight is something many people struggle with, but it doesn’t have to be a constant battle. By boosting your …
- Promising Trial Results Show A New Method to Deliver Insulin to Diabetics Pain-Free
A new development in insulin technology could have a huge impact on diabetes treatment in the near future. A team …
- Ireland Makes Gutsy Move Against Tobacco Industry And Bans Branded Packaging
Following in the footsteps of Canada and other countries that have chosen to federally regulate the appearance of cigarette containers …
- Onion Extract Can Help Lower Blood Sugar Levels, Study Shows
A recent study has researchers wondering if onion extract could be the key to new therapies for individuals with diabetes. …
- 3 Easy Rules to Follow For Permanent Weight Loss, According To Science
Getting people to eat healthier is a goal that many public health initiatives have struggled with. Just getting people to …