Now, an Italian study published in the journal Nutrition and Diabetes has shown that extra virgin olive oil itself may have a positive effect on blood sugar levels and bad cholesterol after meals(3).
Researchers say this could help explain why the Mediterranean diet is linked to such a decreased risk of heart disease.
Limit Dairy and Red Meat
Study author Francesco Violi, a researcher at Sapienza University in Rome, lead the study, which involved testing the effects of adding extra virgin olive oil to a Mediterranean diet. The Mediterranean diet features fruits, vegetables, whole grains and fish, with very limited consumption of dairy and red meat.
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) was compared to corn oil. Blood tests done after study participants consumed a meal prepared with extra virgin olive oil showed that, compared to the group whose meals were prepared with corn oil, the olive oil group’s blood sugar levels rose significantly less.
Results Are In Line With Previous Research
The results of this study are consistent with previous research which has linked extra virgin olive oil to elevated levels of insulin, a hormone that helps convert glucose into energy according to Violi.
What is unclear, however, is why the blood tests showed that participants who consumed the olive oil meals had lower levels of low-density lipoprotein, or LDL – also known as “bad” cholesterol, which can build up in blood vessels and lead to heart disease, blood clots, and atherosclerosis. In that area, more research is needed.
However, the researchers on the study believe that theirs is among the first to link extra virgin olive oil, as used in the Mediterranean diet, to lower blood sugar and LDL cholesterol after meal consumption.
Using Extra Virgin Olive Oil In Your Diet
This study provides many people with a reason to swap out cheaper oils like vegetable and corn oil for EVOO.
The key, researchers say, is to use it in moderation, as part of a balanced diet. This allows the extra virgin olive oil to be used as a source of energy in the context of a balanced lifestyle.
Extra virgin olive oil can be used in salad dressings and also in grilling and preparing food such as fish, which is a staple of the Mediterranean diet.
- Drinking More Than Two Diet Sodas Per Day Make You Twice As Likely To Get Heart Disease
A massive study led by researchers at Tufts University may give many people cause to consider cutting soft drinks out …
- What Happened To This Family After They Started Eating Organic For 2 Weeks Straight Is Amazing!
While numerous studies have been done on the subject of pesticides in food and their impact they can have on …
- Researchers Develop Unique Molecule That Makes HIV Vulnerable to Antibodies From The Immune System
HIV vaccine technology may have taken a huge step forward recently, thanks to researchers at the University of Montreal in …
- This Father-Daughter Duo Wanted To Know How Music Affects Pain…They Were Not Disappointed!
Music can affect us in all kinds of ways – from soothing our moods and helping us get to sleep(1) …
- Your Gut Bacteria Produces a Whopping 90% of All Your Body’s Serotonin (a.k.a. The Happy Hormone)
Serotonin, a well-known neurotransmitter which has a significant role to play in mood disorders, migraine disorders, irritable bowel syndrome and …
- Researchers Are Close To Patenting a Natural Compound Found In Avocados For Treating Leukemia
Once shunned for being too high in fat, avocados have won over many people, including dieticians, in recent years. They’re …
- Taking a 45-Minute Nap During The Day Can Improve Your Memory by Fivefold, Study Finds
Who doesn’t love a good nap? While naps are considered important for children in early phases of development, they are equally …
- Endocannabinoid Deficiency Could Be To Blame For Your Chronic Health Conditions, Study Finds
The medical uses of cannabis are a hotly contested area of medicine right now; with many states in the USA …
- Here’s What Your Handshake Can Tell You About Your Heart Attack And Stroke Risk
Having a firm handshake can be to your benefit in job interviews, but what else can you tell about a …
- Google Is Working On a Wrist-Worn Device That Can Kill Cancer (They Already Own The Patent For It!)
Google seems to be branching out lately – one of their recent projects is a wrist-worn device that could potentially …
- Here’s What Happens To Your Body When You Sit Down For 11 Hours or More a Day
Studies that show the negative effects of sitting for extended periods of time are still fairly new, but the evidence …
- Hexavalent Chromium (Chromium-6) Was Just Found In 75% Of Drinking Water
Access to clean drinking water is a basic human right- or at least it should be. While there are many …
- Muscle Supplements Like Creatine or Androstenedione Increases Your Risk of Testicular Cancer
Supplements are all the rage these days! From vitamin supplements for normal people to multivitamins for pregnant mothers to protein …
- Study Suggests That Prolonged Use of Paracetamol During Pregnancy Could Harm Male Babies
Paracetamol, a painkiller commonly prescribed to pregnant women because of its presumed safety, may affect the hormones of babies in …
- New Technology Helps Stimulate The Immune System to “Relentlessly Attack” Cancer Cells
When it comes to breast cancer, the best offense is a good defense – early detection, quickly followed up by intensive …