Many cancer survivors have spoken and written about the effects of what has been dubbed “chemo brain” – a spacey feeling chemotherapy patients get, leading to difficulty concentrating and other symptoms(1).
But now researchers are putting this symptom, which has been presented mainly in the form of anecdotal evidence up until now, up to rigorous scientific testing – and what they’ve found is that patients aren’t exaggerating: “chemo brain” is very much a real thing.
The study, published in the journal Clinical Neurophysiology and funded by the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, took place at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada.
Breast cancer survivors were tasked with completing a series of simple activities, while researchers monitored their brain activity. To their surprise, they found that people with “chemo brain” were indeed incapable of sustaining focused thought(2).
Healthy Brains Versus Chemo Brains
Healthy brains function in a cyclical fashion – people alternate between being focused and engaged in the task at hand, and letting their mind wander once the task is completed.
But the University of British Columbia researchers found that those suffering from “chemo brain” tended to stay in a disengaged state, unable to maintain sustained focus on a task at hand. This was true even when the cancer survivors thought they were focusing on a task.
“A healthy brain spends some time wandering and some time engaged,” said Todd Handy, a professor of psychology at UBC. “We found that chemo brain is a chronically wandering brain, they’re essentially stuck in a shut out mode.”
Interestingly, the brain activity of patients suffering from “chemo brain” tended to more closely resemble the brain activity of healthy patients when they were asked to relax and let their minds wander, indicating that “chemo brain” patients may be more focused on their inner world than on external tasks.
The Impact Of Cancer Treatment
What causes chemo brain? Researchers have struggled with measuring the phenomenon using tests designed to measure for and assess the damage done by diseases like Alzheimer’s or other cognitive dysfunctions like traumatic brain injury, making it hard to understand exactly what is causing the phenomenon.
Some physicians believe that the stress of regular cancer treatments can result in neurological symptoms that mimic those of acute depression and anxiety – difficulty focusing, a sense of apathy that makes completing tasks more difficult, etc(3).
Others have wondered if chemo itself is a neurotoxin causing unmeasured damage to the brain(4).
The lack of understanding about what contributes to “chemo brain” has led to much fear surrounding conventional methods of cancer treatment – even, some doctors fear, leading people to forgo therapies that may be effective treatments for their diseases(5).
Kristin Campbell, an associate professor in the Department of Physical Therapy and leader of the research team, says these findings could help health care providers measure the effects of chemotherapy on the brain.
“Physicians now recognize that the effects of cancer treatment persist long after it’s over and these effects can really impact a person’s life,” said Campbell.
But regardless of the cause, many cancer survivors are now breathing sighs of relief that science has confirmed what they have been saying for some time – that “chemo brain” is a real symptom, and not just in their heads.
- Prescription Drugs Used To Treat Diabetes Can Cause Severe Joint Pain, FDA Warns
The US Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning that a certain class of diabetes drugs may cause severe …
- The FDA Is Banning Trans Fats And Here’s Why This Move Is Going To Save Thousands of Lives Each Year
After a period of consideration, the US Food and Drug Administration has come out in opposition to the prevalence of …
- Here’s What Happens To Your Body When You Sit Down For 11 Hours or More a Day
Studies that show the negative effects of sitting for extended periods of time are still fairly new, but the evidence …
- Here’s What Happened To Beijing’s Sky When It Decided To Take 5 Million Cars Off The Road
Air pollution is bad for you and the environment. In the same way that second-hand smoke can kill, air pollution can …
- Just One Night of Sleep Loss Is Enough To Alter The Genes In Your Cells
Many of us think very little of messing with our sleep schedules. Students pull all-nighters when studying for (or celebrating …
- Maple Syrup Extract Makes Disease-Causing Bacteria More Vulnerable To Antibiotics
Who doesn’t love maple syrup? It’s sweet and goes well with french toast or pancakes! But maple syrup is so much more …
- Depression Can Affect Every Aspect of Your Body and Mind…Right Down to Your DNA, Study Says
Depression affects almost 7% of the US population, according to the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance(1) and the effects of …
- Researchers May Have Found a Way To Stop Breast Cancer From Spreading To The Bones
A breakthrough study published in the journal Nature has the potential to dramatically improve survival rates of thousands of breast …
- Researchers Discover That Alzheimer’s Disease Worsens 2X As Fast In Women Than Men
Roughly two-thirds of Americans suffering from Alzheimer’s disease are women(1). Researchers asking why have come to a startling conclusion. Women, …
- Aboriginal Plant Extracts Show Properties That Can Help Treat Diabetes and Cancer, Study Finds
Type 2 diabetes is a serious public health concern in many countries – it’s one of the fasted growing metabolic …
- Just Staring At an Image of a Green Roof For 40 Seconds Is Enough To Improve Focus, Study Finds
Green rooftops may be just starting to catch on in North America, but around the world countries like France have …
- Dove’s ‘Real’ Beauty Products Are Filled With Cancer-Causing Chemicals, Fake Dyes and Toxic Fragrance
In one sense the marketing gurus of Dove beauty and skin care products hit the nail on the head. They …
- Muscle Supplements Like Creatine or Androstenedione Increases Your Risk of Testicular Cancer
Supplements are all the rage these days! From vitamin supplements for normal people to multivitamins for pregnant mothers to protein …
- Cannabis Oil Cured Girl’s Leukemia After HPV Vaccine Broke Down Her Body
Did you know that many children who have received the Gardasil vaccine have also been affected by leukemia and other …
- According To This Microbiologist, You’ve Been Pooping Wrong Your Whole Life And It’s Hurting You
If you’re squeamish about poop this may not be the article for you, but the fact is, most of us …