The medical uses of cannabis are a hotly contested area of medicine right now; with many states in the USA taking steps to legalize medicinal and even casual marijuana use, studies have been cropping up to show the efficacy and relative safety of using cannabis strains to treat nausea, migraine disorders, fibromyalgia, and other chronic pain conditions. There’s even evidence that cannabis may help inhibit the spread of certain types of cancer in the body(1).
Certainly cannabis can be an effective pain reliever and anti-nausea drug for those suffering from chronic conditions like the ones mentioned(2). But how exactly does it function to relieve these symptoms? New research may show that cannabis can treat these conditions at the root cause.
Endocannabinoids Are Naturally Produced Within The Body
Endocannabinoids are lipids found in the endocannabinoid system, a group of neuromodulatory lipids and receptors in the brain that are responsible for physical processes including pain sensation, appetite, and memory. This system effectively mediates the psychoactive effects of cannabis. Endocannabinoids are produced and dissolved naturally by enzymes in the brain. An endocannabinoid deficiency would explain heightened sensitivity in pain responses, such as in migraine disorder and fibromyalgia.
In 2004, a small study was released in the journal Neuro Endrocrinology Letters, titled, “Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency (CECD): Can this concept explain therapeutic benefits of cannabis in migraine, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome and other treatment resistant conditions?”
In the study, author EB Russo examined the idea that a condition called clinical endocannabinoid deficiency (CECD) could underlie the pathophysiology of migraine disorders, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, and other chronic conditions that are alleviated by the use of medical marijuana(3).
What he found was that migraine and other chronic pain disorders had numerous relationships to endocannabinoid function – “Cannabinoids,” Russo wrote of the nutrient found in medical cannabis,
“have… demonstrated the ability to block spinal, peripheral and gastrointestinal mechanisms that promote pain in headache, fibromyalgia, IBS and related disorders.”
He suggested that these disorders displayed patterns that suggested a root cause of clinical endocannabinoid deficiency – which would explain why medical marijuana made such an effective treatment.
In 2014, researchers revisited Russo’s study to see if his results would hold up when studied in a contemporary setting. Not only did they come to the same conclusions as Russo had, they concluded that,
“… underlying endocannabinoid deficiencies indeed play a role in migraine, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome and a growing list of other medical conditions. Further research and especially clinical trials will further demonstrate the usefulness of medical cannabis. As legal barriers fall and scientific bias fades, this will become more apparent.”(4)
What Is The Endocannabinoid System?
- Researchers Discover That Plucking Hair In a Specific Pattern Helps Stimulate Regrowth
Baldness is a prospect that scares people more than most diseases and health disorders. The reason for this is that …
- Natural Compound Found In Marijuana Helps Heal Broken Bones, And Even Makes Them Stronger
A compound known as cannabinoid cannabidiol, or CBD, which is found in marijuana, may help heal bone fractures, even making …
- This Amino Acid Could Help Protect Your Teeth and Prevent Decay By Destroying Harmful Bacteria
While many of us face paralyzing indecision when confronted with the myriad toothpaste, mouthwash, and teeth whitening products available commercially, …
- Having Trouble Sleeping? It’s Not Your Fault! Scientists Find “Wide Awake” Gene That Sabotages Sleep
Are you struggling to have a good night’s sleep? Are you the kind of person that spends their nights lying …
- Johnson & Johnson Loses Again, Jury Awards Woman $70m For Baby Powder Causing Her Cancer
In another high-profile case, a California woman has won 70$ million in her lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson. She claimed …
- Eating Fatty Foods Help Protect Your Brain Against Diseases Like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
The human brain is truly a marvelous thing! Scientists understand only a fraction of what the brain is capable of …
- This Boy Started Getting Unusual Sores After Playing In One of Those ‘Bounce Houses’
Bounce houses, like games, are fun and children love them! They’re often found at carnivals but parents can also rent …
- Cuba Developed a Lung Cancer Vaccine And It’s Now Heading to The U.S. For Clinical Trials
For the past 55 years, a US-led trade embargo on Cuba has ensured that technological advances made by the country …
- According To This Professor, Probiotics Could Eventually Be Used For Treating Seasonal Allergies
Allergy season is upon us again, sending many of us rushing to the drugstore for anti-histamines to deal with the …
- Promising Trial Results Show A New Method to Deliver Insulin to Diabetics Pain-Free
A new development in insulin technology could have a huge impact on diabetes treatment in the near future. A team …
- Breakthrough Research Could Lead To Potential Treatment To Stop Diabetics From Going Blind
A new scientific breakthrough could eventually save diabetics from losing their eyesight. Diabetic retinopathy is a condition which causes blindness …
- Diabetics Are 4X More Likely To Develop Frozen Shoulder Syndrome (You Need To Know About This!)
What is frozen shoulder syndrome and what is its connection with diabetes? New research from the American Diabetes Association has …
- What Happened To This Family After They Started Eating Organic For 2 Weeks Straight Is Amazing!
While numerous studies have been done on the subject of pesticides in food and their impact they can have on …
- Researchers Have Cracked The Code On How to Convert Blood Type A and B Into Universal Donors
Every two seconds in the United States, someone needs a blood transfusion(1). Blood is a precious resource for healthcare workers, …
- A PHD Student Made Yoghurt From Vaginal Bacteria, Because Science
There are some pretty weird foods on the planet! Here are a few of the strange things that people ACTUALLY …